Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good morning guys. Busy time of year as we all know! Well I had a nice surprise when I dropped my little beater off at my friendly repair shop...I reserved the cheapest rental Enterprise had but they said, hey, do you want this Camaro convertible? The guys who work there must have been raised to be nice to their elders! Too bad Mopar doesn't have a convertible, but then again, today's FCA isn't really the same as the Mopars we love. Anyway it's a nice change being able to put the top down. There's a Christmas ("Holiday") Festival Of Lights here in Charleston, you drive through, I'm going there tonight, never been before.

You still ,got the big Beastie...?

Good morning guys. Busy time of year as we all know! Well I had a nice surprise when I dropped my little beater off at my friendly repair shop...I reserved the cheapest rental Enterprise had but they said, hey, do you want this Camaro convertible? The guys who work there must have been raised to be nice to their elders! Too bad Mopar doesn't have a convertible, but then again, today's FCA isn't really the same as the Mopars we love. Anyway it's a nice change being able to put the top down. There's a Christmas ("Holiday") Festival Of Lights here in Charleston, you drive through, I'm going there tonight, never been before.

Sounds nice,

Ty, how did the strap go through the back window of the truck you were pulling out?

Ty, how did the strap go through the back window of the truck you were pulling out?

Not the strap, the ball sheared off, and in a way made a giant slingshot.

Similar to this: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY0oVwuzNY"]Tow strap breaks and goes through glass - YouTube[/ame]

I had a good one last night. I picked up a 8 1/4 rear over the summer for a housing to build my rear out of for the dart. I started stripping it to start on the new build, 3.73, suregrip, disk brakes. to save some *** pain instead of doing it on my back. It turns out I cannot use it because it is a 2.45 gear ratio which has the biggest pinion gear I ever saw and the input is offset. I pulled the dig out since I have someone that needs one, but should I get rid of the housing or save it since it is a weird one.? At least it has 2.5 backing plates I can sell to get my initial cash back. I tell you the pinion gear is the size of a softball!

Worked for a tow co in my younger days and best one I ever saw was a bunch of kids in mom's brand new cherokee limited ( white with the gold wheels/accents , tan leather if you remember those). They had had it buried in a mudhole with water 3/4 of the way up the doors. It had already ingested water and they were talking about us dropping it off at a carwash lol. I wouldn't have wanted to have been in their shoes.

Worked for a tow co in my younger days and best one I ever saw was a bunch of kids in mom's brand new cherokee limited ( white with the gold wheels/accents , tan leather if you remember those). They had had it buried in a mudhole with water 3/4 of the way up the doors. It had already ingested water and they were talking about us dropping it off at a carwash lol. I wouldn't have wanted to have been in their shoes.

One time I was driving my first car ('04 mazda 6) up a gravel road, realized I was on the wrong one and went to turn around. Road ended up caving in some, Mazda was siting at an 80 degree angle in a ditch, luckily got someone to pull it out with no damage.

Didn't tell my mom about that night until that car was long gone. Cost me $140 to tow it out, that was my entire paycheck at the time, but it saved the imminent *** kicking I would have received. haha

Worst I ever did was flipped my tractor into a small stream when the driveway edge caved out over the culvert, man the ROP bar save my life it was upside down.

Last night we had to tow a friend of a friend out of a mud puddle, I'm sure you all know the dangers of trying to pull something from a tow ball with a ratchet strap...

I personally wasn't trying to get KO'd by a flying towball, but all my friend's friends were stubborn and didn't want to pay a tow truck. Exactly what you think would happen, the ball sheared off and shot through the back window of the truck that was stuck. Luckily we got him out, and even more lucky no injuries.

Dumbest group of kids I ever met.

Note to self:
Puting strap around balls and pulling is likely to end badly. lol

I'm up and checking in.

Old man Ray and I have pm'ed, so he's up too, but hasn't checked in yet...

I went to Chuck's today for another round of try to get the Valiant started...

Monday we couldn't get gas to the carb. Then Tues put an old fuel pump on and got fuel to the carb, but then the secondary bowl vent started pouring fuel like a water fountain. We fixed that, but it still wouldn't start...

Turns out that his brand new HV Carter fuel pump is crap....

Had two job interviews Wednesday, so no time to help then.

Today I took a spare new carb over and we put it on and got it to run. While tinkering on the break in, I hit a wire and it stopped, but we just hit the button and it fired right up again and we were able finish the 45 minute cam break-in...

Then shut if off for a few minutes to let the garage air out a bit, then it wouldn't restart... We're getting 4 volt to the coil, but no spark at the plug. We tried to put an old ballast resistor on it and it still wouldn't start. So we're going to try an ignition box next - even though his is brand new.... He didn't have a spare box handy, so I'm going to look for one here...

WTF is going on with new part quality these days??? It's gone to ****.... It's like we need a complete running engine to test the parts on before we put them on the one that we're working on...

I learned a while ago if it comes on a "blister card don't buy it!

Oh Good morning!

So we're going to try an ignition box next - even though his is brand new.... He didn't have a spare box handy, so I'm going to look for one here...

WTF is going on with new part quality these days??? It's gone to ****.... It's like we need a complete running engine to test the parts on before we put them on the one that we're working on...

Good morning! TGIF

Dont think I'll ever have an extra car arount just to test parts...lol. But, I try to do one part at a time for that reason. I did most of my electronic part changes before I did the engine bay. Having it completley apart and rebuilding the mechanicals was more than enough anxiety for me at one time. Just cleaned and retaped the harness while it was out. No changes till all was back in and running.

Make sure you have good ground from ignition box to body. That was a problem when I put my new one in.

Morning Keith.

Yes the electronic stuff went to crap or should I say came from crap!!!! Where did all the tubes go?

Morning all. Up most off the night now drag my butt to the docs. Yet another day of poke and prod. Today is alien prob day. Among other pleasentres.

One of the air bladders is not functioning properly and that's how they replace them now. A not so simple in and out procedure.

-
Back