Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
And it has started to rain...
78F and sunny here.
Got the Duster brakes checked and bled. As far as I saw, nothing leaking. It was definitely losing most of the fluid right out of the MC cap.. Had some rust around the rim. cleaned that up good and seal still looks ok. It made a mess of the paint on master and a bit of the firewall down behind bubbled up. :BangHead: Siphoned out what was left in MC. Then ran a fresh quart through the system. Spongy brakes no more.
Had the pressure washer handy, so gave a quick blast under the hood to get the brake fluid off. While I had the front wheels off I hit the suspension with pressure washer. Then did the rest of the car. Took it for a test drive - all good.

78F and sunny here.
Got the Duster brakes checked and bled. As far as I saw, nothing leaking. It was definitely losing most of the fluid right out of the MC cap.. Had some rust around the rim. cleaned that up good and seal still looks ok. It made a mess of the paint on master and a bit of the firewall down behind bubbled up. :BangHead: Siphoned out what was left in MC. Then ran a fresh quart through the system. Spongy brakes no more.
Had the pressure washer handy, so gave a quick blast under the hood to get the brake fluid off. While I had the front wheels off I hit the suspension with pressure washer. Then did the rest of the car. Took it for a test drive - all good.
Can you say....DOT 5 Silicone Fluid ????????

Don't eat paint..
Hmm, never thought about that. As I understand, It does not go bad cause it doesn't absorb moisture. Should have done that when it was all new system. :BangHead: Maybe next year... Is it compatible with old fluid? Can I just flush it through with the silicone?

And how will that help?
As Ben said... It will not eat your paint... I have been using it for years in my restored cars, mainly for that reason. It is quite expensive, but, worth it in my opinion....

Hmm, never thought about that. As I understand, It does not go bad cause it doesn't absorb moisture. Should have done that when it was all new system. :BangHead: Maybe next year... Is it compatible with old fluid? Can I just flush it through with the silicone?
Keefer. Yes it is not hydroscopic, like reg fluids. I've had it the same fluid in my Corvette for 30 years...LOL

Yes you can flush Dot 5 , behind what you have now. The stuff I get, and I think, most brands are purple in color, so you can tell when it flushes out the old fluid. Just make sure you do a thorough job.

Last edited:
As Ben said... It will not eat your paint... I have been using it for years in my restored cars, mainly for that reason. It is quite expensive, but, worth it in my opinion....
Yeh, I used to get it at work for the forklifts. So would not want to waste much 'flushing'. Guess I could blow the lines out with air first. Any issues with residual mixing? How much fluid does the system hold anyway.? Never gave it any thought before, just open a qt and dump away...lol

And Ben knows a thing or two about eating paint,...and crayons. :lol:
Hey @Ben Drinkin , what's your favorite? The brown may be? :lol:
coloring.jpg

-
Back