Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It was a year ago today that I went in the hospital with my severe ulcer... If I didn't go in, I could've died...

So this marks an extra year that I have lived....
We are happy that you went in as well.

Why do i sit and think about stuff?
That lebaron i bought, thinking i will build a better chassis for the Fargo. Then move the 360 and body onto the frame. Power steering is the big plus.

I think my Swinger hass sprung a leak.

20220603_064406.jpg

I remember the time slips he posted. What blew my mind was it was with really high gears like 2:45. Definately before the carrier break. Hey @memike

If you guys are talking V8 or /6 I can tell you Charlie here told me this, all engines need back pressure, when I had my 73 Challenger 340 car I had unbolted my collectors and tighed up my exhaust to get a time on my car, plus the cool factor of open headers at George Rays drag strip.
Open headers ran 8.69 to 8.90. Then I hooked my exhaust back up and it ran 8.10 to 8.20.
Charlie advised me to run my two 1 1/2 " drop pipes off my /6 to a 2.1/4" single pipe.

Glad I did, no drone at all and a bunch more power at 2800 rpm threw 5000 ram
Is this what you guy are talking about ?
Its still early and in my first cup.

Oops ,I got two super nice coffee t-shirts yesterday !! Thank you to who ever made that happen. :thumbsup::thankyou:

Oops ,I got two super nice coffee t-shirts yesterday !! Thank you to who ever made that happen. :thumbsup::thankyou:

Thanks to @Old man ray

you guys are talking V8 or /6 I can tell you Charlie here told me this, all engines need back pressure
It's a 225 slant 6

Dual split Clifford's... 3" at the collector and 2" pipe back.

If you guys are talking V8 or /6 I can tell you Charlie here told me this, all engines need back pressure, when I had my 73 Challenger 340 car I had unbolted my collectors and tighed up my exhaust to get a time on my car, plus the cool factor of open headers at George Rays drag strip.
Open headers ran 8.69 to 8.90. Then I hooked my exhaust back up and it ran 8.10 to 8.20.
Charlie advised me to run my two 1 1/2 " drop pipes off my /6 to a 2.1/4" single pipe.

Is this what you guy are talking about ?
Its still early and in my first cup.

I once had a tri-y header for my Toyota 4 banger 4x4, was said to have great "scavenging". This quick article cleared it up for me what that exactly is and how it increases power.
The Exhaust Scavenging Effect | Low Offset (low-offset.com)

Why do i sit and think about stuff?
That lebaron i bought, thinking i will build a better chassis for the Fargo. Then move the 360 and body onto the frame. Power steering is the big plus.
Could you set the Fargo on a modern Dakota chassis

Got that heater core in yesterday, ended up needing nothing to tack the studs on. Since they were the bottom studs and there was a slot/groove once I pulled the old clips out I just used this hardware, got lucky tightening them up with an allen wrench being held by bracing. No leaks and it makes hot air, have to put three ducts under the dash today.

Image (22).jpeg

Image (23).jpeg

Last edited:
I took my two 1 1/2" split manifolds to a single 2 1/4" And a stock 318 muffler.
Sounded , started and ran great, @Charlie.s was my go to exhaust guy, back pressure had to be spot on. Running a single was great advice.

FB_IMG_1598726812356.jpg

Swinger Sprinkler?
it has a purpoise

Calvin Elston was often pushing guys to size down. He had a rule of thumb posted on his blog (now gone). Instead of thinking about pressures, focus on velocity and flow. The most important goal is to keep the exhaust gasses moving away from the exhaust port.

So Charlie was right, but the description might be confusing. When the header's collector flange is open to atmosphere, that 14.7 psi trying to push up into the header.

I took my two 1 1/2" split manifolds to a single 2 1/4" And a stock 318 muffler.
Sounded , started and ran great, @Charlie.s was my go to exhaust guy, back pressure had to be spot on. Running a single was great advice.

View attachment 1715936772

Gotcha...

There's no dyno sheet in the documentation that I have. Just the clearances and cam sheet

Good compression , lets get @RustyRatRod in here to look at the valve size , and duration/ lift.
I would test drive with the 2 inc pipe with no muffler, see how it pulls, but I think @Charrlie_S would be the man here, let him know how you want to use your car, race. Street stop driver. Between him and @RustyRatRod you will get the answers you need, sorry.. tec is not my best feature.

Drive safe and give Craig and Cheryl (especially Cheryl) a hug for me.
I will give Cheryl two hugs and Craig just one! Hah! Wear your sunblock today boys! She is gonna be toasty! I remember one year when you (TMM) were sick as a dog at MITP, you powered thru. Once you pop the trunk today all your troubles and sleep issues will fade away! Have a great time!

Good compression , lets get @RustyRatRod in here to look at the valve size , and duration/ lift.
I would test drive with the 2 inc pipe with no muffler, see how it pulls, but I think @Charrlie_S would be the man here, let him know how you want to use your car, race. Street stop driver. Between him and @RustyRatRod you will get the answers you need, sorry.. tec is not my best feature.

Thanks Mike

Just wanting a weekend cruiser that has a little pep to it for fun.

Thanks Mike

Just wanting a weekend cruiser that has a little pep to it for fun.

I would hook them up to one pipe, two pipes, two mufflers seem like a little much for what you/we want to use these great engines for, trust me, it will sound unpleasant with duals i think..

I tried a 3" X pipe on my Barracuda when it still had 340 manifolds on it. I do not have back to back times on it, but my conclusion was that it was contributor to the lack of torque and difficulty with getting a decent idle. Now that car has headers based in large part on Calvin Elston's recommendations.

Calvin Elston calls the gas flow "king" and explains it here:
"What is [exhaust] Blowdown Length?" p.2
He's been pretty generous in sharing his experiences. This is one about merging to a single tailpipe.
Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion? - Page 3 - Speed Talk

He done some slant sixes. He took down his website, but maybe I can find some pics because a few years ago I was emailing with Lou about them

I tried a 3" X pipe on my Barracuda when it still had 340 manifolds on it. I do not have back to back times on it, but my conclusion was that it was contributor to the lack of torque and difficulty with getting a decent idle. Now that car has headers based in large part on Calvin Elston's recommendations.

Calvin Elston calls the gas flow "king" and explains it here:
"What is [exhaust] Blowdown Length?" p.2
He's been pretty generous in sharing his experiences. This is one about merging to a single tailpipe.
Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion? - Page 3 - Speed Talk

He done some slant sixes. He took down his website, but maybe I can find some pics because a few years ago I was emailing with Lou about them
From what I’ve seen, the X pipe is very location dependent, too far from the collectors and it becomes a hindrance, too close and it also becomes a hindrance.

-
Back