Super Gas

-

mopar4406bbl

Reaction score
Anybody here race super gas? if so how do you like it? I watched my first S/G race saturday and though it was QUITE GOOFY. does anyone race it with a 9.90 car?

Anybody here race super gas? if so how do you like it? I watched my first S/G race saturday and though it was QUITE GOOFY. does anyone race it with a 9.90 car?

Goofy? Why? By my screen name you should be able to tell that I do or did race SG. It is index racing, without it it is plain and simple, the guy with most money would dominate!

What's goofy about Super Gas? Are you referring to throttle stop racing?

most likely talking about the throttle stops and timers...

pretty boring to watch...

Super gas has gone way down hill as far as I am concerned. It used to be a regular guy sport. Now you have to have sponsors to be able to afford to run it. No more standard big blocks and ladder bar cars. Gotta be able to run 160mph to run super gas competitivly.. It was awesome in the late 80s and early 90s

Goofy? Why? By my screen name you should be able to tell that I do or did race SG. It is index racing, without it it is plain and simple, the guy with most money would dominate![/q

I wouldn't want people to know unskilled to sand bag, I have to have a computer do it for me.

Super gas has gone way down hill as far as I am concerned. It used to be a regular guy sport. Now you have to have sponsors to be able to afford to run it. No more standard big blocks and ladder bar cars. Gotta be able to run 160mph to run super gas competitivly.. It was awesome in the late 80s and early 90s

When I saw a 9.90 index heads up class I though I had found a class I could run in. Sounds like a regular guy class. I read where it was said you didn't have to cut a tree, just run on index. True is has been 30 years since I've been to a track but back then if you cut a .4 tree you lost (unless the other guy red lighted or broke) I was reading the results of a S/G race all racers cut a + .4 tree but 2 and they cut a +.3 tree.I have been called hard headed, but I plan on trying with my standard big block with ladder bar car.

I wouldn't want people to know dumb to sand bag, I have to have a computer do it for me.

Say wha? You're not really making any sense.

I don't think anyone 'sandbags' in Super Gas since it's is an INDEX class. It's not like bracket racing where breakouts apply.

I ran S/ST, S/G & have a S/C car now. Can't say I'm all that crazy about index racing. You gotta have $1500 worth of electronics & a car that runs a second or quicker than the index just to be competitive:scratch:. Consequently I'm looking tosell my car & stick to street cars...........

The .4 reaction times you were seeing are common because super gas is run on a .400 pro tree. If you are not .400 something on the tree, you are going home. .3-- something is a red light. You will want to do some serious homework before jumping in to super class racing. Very competitive,and very sophisticated for some. Can be done with older equipment, but takes a lot of work and some one who can "drive the big end". Stil boils down to who has best package. I certainly would like to try it some time. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

The .4 reaction times you were seeing are common because super gas is run on a .400 pro tree. If you are not .400 something on the tree, you are going home. .3-- something is a red light. You will want to do some serious homework before jumping in to super class racing. Very competitive,and very sophisticated for some. Can be done with older equipment, but takes a lot of work and some one who can "drive the big end". Stil boils down to who has best package. I certainly would like to try it some time. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

I don't see how a .3-- would be a red light,unless reaction time means something other than it used to. A .3 used to mean you could have left .3 seconds sooner without red lighting. I never seen them run a pro tree, unless it also means something differant.Every light that I saw used 3 yellows. I know when I raced they had eather 4 or 5 yellow lights. I beleave it was 4 .5 yellows then .5 to green, I know it was called a 2 & 1/2 second tree.The results I read said 1 car cut a .3-- tree and another cut a .3-- and red lighted. another car just red lighted.
I have made 2 runs in my car, the first I was going to drive through to see how car felt,I staged too deep and had a.507 R/Twith a 1.70 60'. the second pass I still foot braked, but left a little earlier & harder got a .152 R/T and 1.454 60', stayed in it and ran a 10.118 @130.41 .I was very pleased first 2 runs without a clutch & first runs in 30 years, things sure has changed !!

Say wha? You're not really making any sense.

I don't think anyone 'sandbags' in Super Gas since it's is an INDEX class. It's not like bracket racing where breakouts apply.

Maybe words have a differant meaning than they used to.But if you run a car slower than it can run its sandbagging, doesn't matter if you lift first couple hundred feet or anywhere else. If you run quicker than 9.90 you break out. it is bracket racing, you just can't change your dial in, it is set at 9.90 Am I wrong?

Maybe words have a differant meaning than they used to.But if you run a car slower than it can its sandbagging. If you run quicker than 9.90 you break out. it is bracket racing, you just can't change your dial in, it is set at 9.90 Am I wrong?

I guess it can be perceived like that, sure. It's homogenized racing, sort of like NASCAR - the cars run the same number but the driver wins the race.

IMO, sandbagging would imply that you're not letting the competition see what you're capable of. If you run an index class, you should be able to run the number because your competitor believes that you can also. Wouldn't make sense to sandbag like you say but like in all racing, there is always going to be some strategy going on. It is what it is, it's a compromise.

Go heads up racing if you got the coin to roll with the big dogs. The outlaw 10.5 guys usually run their cars out the back door from what I can see.

we used to race super gas 9.90 down here in new zealand, the best thing we ever did is keep the electronic throttle stop **** from entering the class, sure we have faster cars (we were one of them) but when the only thing you can do is feather the throttle to stop you breaking out it makes for interesting racing. If they keep up with the electronic crap controling how fast you go, it wont be long before you wont need a driver, you may as well do it by remote control

we used to race super gas 9.90 down here in new zealand, the best thing we ever did is keep the electronic throttle stop **** from entering the class, sure we have faster cars (we were one of them) but when the only thing you can do is feather the throttle to stop you breaking out it makes for interesting racing. If they keep up with the electronic crap controling how fast you go, it wont be long before you wont need a driver, you may as well do it by remote control

That's kinda the view of the "anti-electrics" guys here. You essentially have a bracket car (9.90), electronics to control it, why bother with a driver? However there have been cases of guys getting on & off the throttle & the car breaking loose & crashing, so some might feel the electrics are something of a safety (?) item in that regard.
It's like NHRA (& NASCAR) are saying "You can race, but don't go TOO fast or we'll penalize you!":wack:Heads-up racing is too big bucks. The easiest thing, IMO is simply outlaw electronics & throttle stops--- or else go back to racing classes every weekend.

I think electrics is a crutch for guys that doesn't think he's man enough to get the job done on his own. The same guys that the ads for pills to make their ***** larger is aimed at.

That's kinda the view of the "anti-electrics" guys here. You essentially have a bracket car (9.90), electronics to control it, why bother with a driver? However there have been cases of guys getting on & off the throttle & the car breaking loose & crashing, so some might feel the electrics are something of a safety (?) item in that regard.
It's like NHRA (& NASCAR) are saying "You can race, but don't go TOO fast or we'll penalize you!":wack:Heads-up racing is too big bucks. The easiest thing, IMO is simply outlaw electronics & throttle stops--- or else go back to racing classes every weekend.
The driver still has to stage the car properly, hit the tree, and run the number. If the boxes aren't set right, the traction goes away, or any other thing goes wrong you loose. The good foot brake racer will win against a box car more often than not.

I ran supergas in the mid 80s and had a ball. But the big dogs from s/c started running double classes and ruined it. Here in division 5 we have a ton of s/c and top sportsman cars running supergas. You will always lose to a guy that can out mph you. We have several cars that mph at over 170.

I think electrics is a crutch for guys that doesn't think he's man enough to get the job done on his own. The same guys that the ads for pills to make their ***** larger is aimed at.
How old are you? I seems you don't have a great knowledge of drag racing,try running dead on a 9.90 index @160 mph without electronics, consistantly.

Run what you brung. Soon it was decided that to keep more people interested they should have some more rules. That broke down into classes and the people were even more attracted as maybe now they had a chance too.
To make a long story short! They kept breaking it down to keep more people interested and racing which makes most of happy. If your not happy, your not looking at something that you think you like.
As the classes got faster and quicker, they didn't want to fool with the slow cars and more classes were formed.
Now it a sport to see how you can stack up with others with the same ideas of what you want to do. You don't have to do it, but if you do? They have a place for you.

Run what you brung. Soon it was decided that to keep more people interested they should have some more rules. That broke down into classes and the people were even more attracted as maybe now they had a chance too.
To make a long story short! They kept breaking it down to keep more people interested and racing which makes most of happy. If your not happy, your not looking at something that you think you like.
As the classes got faster and quicker, they didn't want to fool with the slow cars and more classes were formed.
Now it a sport to see how you can stack up with others with the same ideas of what you want to do. You don't have to do it, but if you do? They have a place for you.

Sorry, didn't mean to so dry.

Sorry, didn't mean to so dry. Everyone that owns a car, doesn't want to race. But many wonder, What If!

Computer locked up for about 2 minutes.

-
Back