The decision is made

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I know there are going to be some that say I am defiling a perfectly good Mopar, but I have all the information and the cost, and tomorrow I am ordering a 200R4 from Art Carr to go in my Dart. The bell housing adapter, built 200R4, and 9" 3000-4000 rpm stall is just over $2500. There are a bunch of extras I need like a TV cable and bracket, a servo, a dip stick and tube, etc ... I decided to go this way instead of the GearVendor because it's not an add on and is about the same price. It will bolt in and be good to go with great gearing and a .64 overdrive. This means I will be only a few parts short of my motor / tranny install. I need a flex plate and a crank pulley for a fluid dampner and I'm good to go.

If I'm not mistaken, Art Carr can supply you with the dipstick, dipstick tube and TV cable as well. You can either make your own bracket or get one for a mid 80's GM G-Body and modify it (probably the quickest easiest way).

If I'm not mistaken, Art Carr can supply you with the dipstick, dipstick tube and TV cable as well. You can either make your own bracket or get one for a mid 80's GM G-Body and modify it (probably the quickest easiest way).

Art is supplying everything I need.

Will it fit without altering the torsion bar crossmember under the tunnel??

Nice. Just make sure that the tranny you get from is rated higher then would the motor is putting out.

I'm really interested in how this works out for you. I talked to Art about this same application in my '69 Dart several years ago but haven't been able to put the money together to do it due to several unforeseen "life moments". I've posted several comments on FABO about the benefits of this setup - specifically the fact that you don't have to do any trans tunnel modifications. If I remember correctly, the 200-4R lengthis different than either a 727 or 904 so you'll either need a new longer driveshaft or you'll need to shorten your existing one.
Post up some pics and comments when you do the install. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you after as well.
Art's 200-4R trannys are almost bulletproof. Just tell anyone who asks that it's a "custom-built overdrive trans for your Mopar".

Sounds like a great deal. Yes, Keep us posted. I would like to see what other mods you have to make. Tranny mount and crossmember come to mind.
All my Chevy buddies want me to put a powerglide behind my 417 sbm in my 69 dart race car.

Seems like a good deal. Love to see pics of your install. Keep us updated. Have a link to this set up?

No link. I just went to Art Carr's website and looked at what he had, then sent an email. He got back to me with all the info. I got busy today and didn't get it ordered. I hope to put it in along with the new motor mid to end of January. I realize I will need a new driveshaft. I can't measure until everything is is and it's on the ground. I have been in contact with Calvert Racing about some different mono leafs that will raise my rear end up higher as well. Then I can crank the torsion bars up a bit in the front and get a higher stance. I will be sure to take lots of pics. I am going to wait for a decent, dry day and drive to my buddies shop and see how much I can get done in a weekend.

It's an overdrive without cutting the floor. What more could you want.

It's gonna work good. I have a friend who owns a transmission shop and he says the 200 is an unbelieveably strong transmission, especially with the right parts. I think you made the right choice.

Yes, that is his website. The adapter I am getting from Art as well. I am not sure if he uses the Wilcap or makes his own. I looked at the Wilcap when I first hatched this idea. I have a builder friend as well, but Art is well known for his expertise in building this particular transmission, and the tranny itself is only $1900. I decided to go with the master!

I know there are going to be some that say I am defiling a perfectly good Mopar, but I have all the information and the cost, and tomorrow I am ordering a 200R4 from Art Carr to go in my Dart. The bell housing adapter, built 200R4, and 9" 3000-4000 rpm stall is just over $2500. There are a bunch of extras I need like a TV cable and bracket, a servo, a dip stick and tube, etc ... I decided to go this way instead of the GearVendor because it's not an add on and is about the same price. It will bolt in and be good to go with great gearing and a .64 overdrive. This means I will be only a few parts short of my motor / tranny install. I need a flex plate and a crank pulley for a fluid dampner and I'm good to go.

All you gain is a od though, with the GV you have gearing options and can split the other gears in the trans. . . .

The GV has many better options. Not to mention you don't need all the other extras you don't have now.

All you gain is a od though, with the GV you have gearing options and can split the other gears in the trans. . . .

The GV has many better options. Not to mention you don't need all the other extras you don't have now.

i know a few guys running GV and they say its pretty much impossible to split gears at the track atleast. the GV is a good product but isn;t the be all end all either.

the 200r also gives ya a lower first gear for better launches and a way better OD ratio.

i know a few guys running GV and they say its pretty much impossible to split gears at the track atleast. the GV is a good product but isn;t the be all end all either.

the 200r also gives ya a lower first gear for better launches and a way better OD ratio.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons that swayed my decision. I like the better gears, but a .64 o/d? Man, I can't wait! I can drive it anywhere.

Hell if need be you can always throw a gearvendors unit on the 200r4 making it a 7speed(?) auto. Just image the mileage with that setup!

-
Back