The decision is made

-
have you split gears going down the quarter mile? just curious..

Yes and in my road car i found it much better than a stick, at 1st everyone is just thinking OD, if you had the option to be able to split gears in certain scenarios, you will. . . .

like to see video of that down the quarter mile. the couple friends i have that run the GV say there is too much of a delay when splitting to do on the drag strip. they could be doing something wrong maybe. i still want a better OD ratio because the main thing i want OD for is the highway.

If they are trying to split 1st and they have a say 3 series gear then there is a delay and once you know it you simply hit the switch earlier to make up for it..... if you're running a 4 plus series gear the delay is less, on drag i only spilt 2nd at which point the delay is not there.
The GV is it's own unit and it works on pressure, so high gear and low speed there is a delay, though it can be compensated for by trying it and knowing the delay.
Road racing with the GV makes having a auto great, now you have the gearing options the 4/5 spds have and can double duty the car at the other track also.
Towing, the options are endless. . . .which is what caused me to buy the other 2 GV's for the cars in the 1st place, 20+ yrs ago i put the GV in to cure the gears and the horrible 3/4 split the 4spd has, after splitting gears in that i put a gv in the rr and mag.
I don't have any video, lucky i have pics. . . i could try and get a video of it next time i go out

Well, no turning back now. I ordered everything today and from Art Carr himself. Transmission, adapter, 10" converter w/ 2800 stall, TV cable and bracket, super servo was thrown in free, dipstick tube and dipstick, and the carb bracket. Hopefully by the end of January I will have everything installed and be tearing up the road. Art says that with my gears and tires I should make 2500 rpm at 70 mph.

Well, no turning back now. I ordered everything today and from Art Carr himself. Transmission, adapter, 10" converter w/ 2800 stall, TV cable and bracket, super servo was thrown in free, dipstick tube and dipstick, and the carb bracket. Hopefully by the end of January I will have everything installed and be tearing up the road. Art says that with my gears and tires I should make 2500 rpm at 70 mph.

How much cutting do you expect to do? what wasn the higest stall you could get with that lock up TC?

How much cutting do you expect to do? what wasn the higest stall you could get with that lock up TC?

No cutting necessary. That's why I like this transmission. It no longer uses a TCC solenoid. I went with a 2800 stall because I am going to street it, but he had a 9" 3-4000 rpm stall that I considered. I just am not going to drag it enough to go that way.

No cutting necessary. That's why I like this transmission. It no longer uses a TCC solenoid. I went with a 2800 stall because I am going to street it, but he had a 9" 3-4000 rpm stall that I considered. I just am not going to drag it enough to go that way.

I called him this wk to ask some question regarding what actual hp levels it will hold up to... i've talked to a few reputable shops and they said for me not to bother with it b/c it won't hold up.. I'm looking at around 750 hp.

What are you doing for cross member?

I called him this wk to ask some question regarding what actual hp levels it will hold up to... i've talked to a few reputable shops and they said for me not to bother with it b/c it won't hold up.. I'm looking at around 750 hp.

What are you doing for cross member?

It is a bolt in unit. And the transmission is rated to 700hp. It is a very strong tranny, so I don't know how those shops can say that. They are in many, many GM's and quite a few Mopars. I found this GM article:

2004R GM Automatic Transmissions

Contrary to popular belief, the GM 200-4R can be one tough transmission. In its stock form, it stood up to the power of the Buick Grand National. Many aftermarket transmission rebuilders have built the 200-4R even stronger to stand up to even more torque. the GM 200-4R was introduced in 1980 as an overdrive version of the 3 speed THM200. The GM 200-4R was vastly improved for strength and durability over the THM200. Because the 200-4R is similar in size to the THM 400, the 200-4R is a great replacement for the THM 400 that was used in older vehicles. The THM200-4R could be found in GM vehicles up until just after 1990.

2004R Facts

The GM 2004r transmission was introduced in 1982

2004R Transmission Specifications - Stock configuration

Number of Quarts of transmission fluid: 6 quarts

Overall length 27 11/16 inches
Bellhousing Height 19 1/8 inches
integral tailhousing
2004R does not require a computer to control it. The 2004R will require a 12 volt feed to control the torque converter clutch solenoid. Shifting of gears is done hydraulically.

2004R Gear Ratios
1st = 2.74
2nd = 1.57
3rd = 1.0
4th = .67
Reverse = 2.07

What did the complete set up cost you including everything to hook it to ur SB?

The next upgrade was to 1000hp, but that's more than I need. Hopefully a few weekends of work and i'll have a new motor, tranny, floor shifter, headers and line locks.

The next upgrade was to 1000hp, but that's more than I need. Hopefully a few weekends of work and i'll have a new motor, tranny, floor shifter, headers and line locks.

I excited to see how the instal goes.. what shifter did you get?

so I don't know how those shops can say that.

most likely they say it because they don't know what the hell they are talking about. same as the *** clowns that say a 904 won't hold up.

i asked my buddy that does all my transmissions for me about the 200 and he says they are very strong as long as they are built right. and by right i don't mean exotic and expensive..

i can't wait to see the install. this may just be the direction i end up going.

most likely they say it because they don't know what the hell they are talking about. same as the *** clowns that say a 904 won't hold up.

i asked my buddy that does all my transmissions for me about the 200 and he says they are very strong as long as they are built right. and by right i don't mean exotic and expensive..

i can't wait to see the install. this may just be the direction i end up going.

I don't know alot about trans gears but how does that 1-2-3 gear spread work out at the track with that 200 vs our 727?

I''m going to put a 2004r together for my 71 Dart. I never new there was an adapter like that. This changes my mind on the 500 trans. I build these transmissions for a living and put a few 10 second grand nationals on the track back in the day. I've never had one blow up but had a handful of guys smoke them on there test drive because of lack of knowledge in cable set up.It is trickey. A manual valve body eliminates the cable, it's kinda like cheating.

I''m going to put a 2004r together for my 71 Dart. I never new there was an adapter like that. This changes my mind on the 500 trans. I build these transmissions for a living and put a few 10 second grand nationals on the track back in the day. I've never had one blow up but had a handful of guys smoke them on there test drive because of lack of knowledge in cable set up.It is trickey. A manual valve body eliminates the cable, it's kinda like cheating.

mvb is the only wat to go imo.. can you answer my question regarding the gear from 1-2-3 vs the gearing on a 727.. trying to see if it hurts my track times by putting this in.

727:
1: 2.45
2: 1.45
3: 1.00

So with the 200R4 being
1: 2.74
2: 1.57
3: 1.0
4:.64

How does that relate to launching? It looks like the 727 spead is larger would that mean my RPM's would drop more from gear to gear vs the 200 where the gear ratio's are closer?

It means you would drop more RPMs between gears with the 727 vs the 2004R4

The 1,2, & 3 ratios for the 200 are nearly the same as a low gear 904. Should work out great for you. But 2500 at 70? Seems kind of high to me but I could be wrong, been daily driving trucks for too long I guess.

The 1,2, & 3 ratios for the 200 are nearly the same as a low gear 904. Should work out great for you. But 2500 at 70? Seems kind of high to me but I could be wrong, been daily driving trucks for too long I guess.

Wow .. If this 200 can hold up to some mopar stroker pwr then I'm very interested.. with a .64 Od that's sick. And post likely better ET's at the strip b/c of optimal tranny gearing.. sowith my 4.10 gears and 28" tire this set up would be nice.

-
Back