The decision is made

-
Hell if need be you can always throw a gearvendors unit on the 200r4 making it a 7speed(?) auto. Just image the mileage with that setup!

I have a friend that put a GV behind a 4L80 in his old Ford Unibody truck. With the turbo 6.0 LS engine, it's insanely fast.

The trick on the cable operated GM OD trans is getting the TV cable adjustment AND geometry correct. Art has a pretty good article on his website. Make sure you have the correct amount of travel and that the cable starts moving when the moment the throttle begins to open. (I've installed more than a few of his trannys. They work very well).

Why Art Carr?if you have problems you have to ship the transmission back on your dime!They tear it apart and it is always the customers fault! and you pay again to get it back.Whats wrong with a local transmission shop?I am not far from you.:burnout:

...so Art is doing business under a 'new' name after selling his name?
Somehow this just sounds wierd.

...last that I heard, Art sold the business and it was moved to Texas so you may only be buying a name...

Art sold the business (along with the name) but he turned around and opened another tranny shop called CPT Transmission (?).

I am buying from CPT and am talking with a guy who says he is Art.

CPT is Art. He had sold his original shop and name to some guys who kind of ruined both. He came out of retirement and reopened under CPT because he could no longer use the old company name. At least that's my understanding of it. Your hearing may vary.

i know a few guys running GV and they say its pretty much impossible to split gears at the track atleast. the GV is a good product but isn;t the be all end all either.

the 200r also gives ya a lower first gear for better launches and a way better OD ratio.

I have no problem splitting them. You can't use that .69 anywhere else but at the end in the 200r4...

I have no problem splitting them. You can't use that .69 anywhere else but at the end in the 200r4...

you slit them on the 1/4 mile track? like to see some video of it to tell ya the truth. never tried it myself and like to see it in action..

all i would want the .69 for is the highway anyway ( the od is the only reason i would use the GV also). and the low first gear is an added bonus..

The .69 for the highway is EXACTLY why I want this tranny. It has many good things going for it, but I am running 4.10 gears and need a good overdrive to drive this car anywhere. I want to drive this car wherever I want to go, and 4000 rpm at 70 mph ain't going to make that happen. I will probably run it on the track a few times for kicks and to see what times I can turn, but this is a street car all the way. I want to drive!

The .69 for the highway is EXACTLY why I want this tranny. It has many good things going for it, but I am running 4.10 gears and need a good overdrive to drive this car anywhere. I want to drive this car wherever I want to go, and 4000 rpm at 70 mph ain't going to make that happen. I will probably run it on the track a few times for kicks and to see what times I can turn, but this is a street car all the way. I want to drive!
If you go down the track just make sure you leave it out of O/D. If you take off in O/D, it seemed as though the trans would shift sooner (for better mileage).

I don't know, 3.23 gears could work ok and cheaper.

With the 2.74 first gear and the drop to 1.57 second gear, its going to still lug at certain speeds, the converter will be a big help.

I think your going to find out thou at 10-20 mph, 1st gear will be too much and 2nd gear not enough.

Yeah it still be better then 3.23 gears at 70 mph and get better mpg. I would rather have a 2.45 first gear and 2.45 second gear--oh well. The OD will bring the 4.11 down to 2.74 on the freeways, that will be sweet. Should pull mid to high teens mpg, depending how fast you go--me would do 80.

Good luck with everything and yes keep us posted how it goes. OD trans are the way to go with soon to come $5 a gallon gas

If you have 4.10 the GV would make that like a 3.23, but gonna depend on who makes that tc and how it is

I had my gv with the 4.10 in my RR and it was great, had the gv in my mag with 4.88 and a 26" tire and was like having a 3.90
I road raced that car and split gears also.

hell i'm running a 2.94 gear and a 28" tire and i still want more top end. i want it to cruise at 80-85 at around 2000 rpm and that .64 OD with a 3.55 gear would be perfect ..:) looks like the 3.55 would turn into about a 2.30 gear. the GV only makes the 3.55 about a 2.76 gear. GV should make an optional better OD ratio.

GV's ratio works perfect for splitting gears and it's od ratio isn't overly dramatic and like hitting a wall when it engages.

However you only want od, and there idea was to use it as a od and splitter, why would you want to have a split like say 2.45 to 1.10 then 1.0 that would hurt performance and if you were using it to tow it would hurt badly, well you couldn't tow with the 200r but if the gv had the same as the 200 the performance isn't gonna be the same.

To cruise at 80 at the rpm you're looking for you'll need to keep that 2.9 gear with the 200r and it's .67
When you need to engage it and use it to continue accelerating is when you'll see the difference between .67 and .78 and why the .78 is better in performance

i'm not towing anything so thats not a problem. i feel no need to split gears. have you split gears going down the quarter mile? just curious. i know guys that have a GV and they like them. i have nothing bad to say about them. but i want more of a OD ratio from a OD.

from the calculator i'm using it says i can use a 3.55 and the .67 OD tans for about 80mph at 2300 rpm..

the car will get a 408 sooner or later which will be built for tq. power range from idle/1500- to about 5500 range so i'm not too worried about the OD being a big jump.

Has anyone actually put one of these 200R4 transmissions in there Abody? I'm curious to know who it works. I need a new tranny and TC for my 68 Dart that has a 700 plus HP stroker being built for it. I thought about the gear vendors unit but with a new tranny, TC and GV this Art Carr option would be cheaper and more effective than the other route.

Has anyone actually put one of these 200R4 transmissions in there Abody? I'm curious to know who it works. I need a new tranny and TC for my 68 Dart that has a 700 plus HP stroker being built for it. I thought about the gear vendors unit but with a new tranny, TC and GV this Art Carr option would be cheaper and more effective than the other route.

To the best of my knowledge and searching the answer is no. The being said, the tranny is a lot smaller then either the 904 or 727 meaning it should slide right in.

I actually reading stuff on it right now.. lots of talk with no body actually committing to it. I'd like to know if Carr's kit is bolt in ready or do I need to source out parts to make it work and can it hold up to 700-800 hp? Oh and cost, it is cheaper for me to get my 727 rebuilt, get a new TC, and then buy a Gear Vendor OD unit?

The only part you have to buy (other then the tranny and the parts he sells i.e the tv cable and dipstick) would be the adapter which you can get from wilcap or art can sells you the adapter through him in one go. The cost is still cheaper then a gearvendors unit (the GV unit is ~2500 bucks). Just remember that if the 200r4 isnt enough for you, you can add a GV unit to the 200r4. Again it's still smaller then a 727/904 with a GV unit.

The only part you have to buy (other then the tranny and the parts he sells i.e the tv cable and dipstick) would be the adapter which you can get from wilcap or art can sells you the adapter through him in one go. The cost is still cheaper then a gearvendors unit (the GV unit is ~2500 bucks). Just remember that if the 200r4 isnt enough for you, you can add a GV unit to the 200r4. Again it's still smaller then a 727/904 with a GV unit.

All very true.. you don't have to sell me on the product as I'm already interested in it.. I ust wanted to know if anyone has done it.. I could careless about what brand (GM) of tranny is behind my SB mopar. I also just didn't want to have to piece together a bunch of miscellaneous items to get this to work... I also heard that the TV cable is crucial and has to be perfect.. Hell I don't even know what a TV cable is.. This car is going to be a street hot rod will min track time.. I will go to the track on special events like Mopar Madness, private track rentals, etc.. but I'd like to drive to the track which is like 70 miles ones way. Nothing cooler IMO than driving ur car to the track changing the rear tires running low 10 or high nines and driving back!

The TV cable (according to my GM manual is call a throttle valve) it is basically the kick down linkage.

The TV cable (according to my GM manual is call a throttle valve) it is basically the kick down linkage.

Almost, but not quite. Along with kickdown functions, it handles fluid pressures to the clutch packs and also controls shift points to some degree (related to fluid pressures and whatnot). Being Mopar guys, we should all be used to that with our Torqueflites.

I read about some guys that have on other sites. I will let you know how it works and will have all the pics to go with it. I'm putting in a 500hp 408 stroker in at the same time. Art sells everything I need, though I think his converters are quite expensive. My main decision will be to go with a 2400-2800 or 3000-4000 converter. I am hoping to start this project in the next two or three weeks. New motor, new 200R4, new TTi headers and exhaust, new floor shifter, and line locks. This damn car is costing me more than my wife!

I read about some guys that have on other sites. I will let you know how it works and will have all the pics to go with it. I'm putting in a 500hp 408 stroker in at the same time. Art sells everything I need, though I think his converters are quite expensive. My main decision will be to go with a 2400-2800 or 3000-4000 converter. I am hoping to start this project in the next two or three weeks. New motor, new 200R4, new TTi headers and exhaust, new floor shifter, and line locks. This damn car is costing me more than my wife!

Even a thousand mile journey begins with the first step. That being said, preparation for said journey is usually quite a ***** :twisted:

-
Back