The Wine Drinkers Thread

-
Reaction score
All drinkers of the fermented grape juice post here.

What are you drinking, keep us updated as we can let each other in on whats good and whats not.

I'll start...

Charles Krug '08 cab

real nice garnet color med dry/acidic lil cherry fruit under tone but not too sweet with spice, go's great with spaghetti, lamb, steak chocolate, could be better in 3 years ...who knows. a solid 4 out 5
$20-$25

up here we call it " panty remover" lol like Red truck from Cali, comes out around this time of the year.

All drinkers of the fermented grape juice post here.

What are you drinking, keep us updated as we can let each other in on whats good and whats not.

I'll start...

Charles Krug '08 cab

real nice garnet color med dry/acidic lil cherry fruit under tone but not too sweet with spice, go's great with spaghetti, lamb, steak chocolate, could be better in 3 years ...who knows. a solid 4 out 5
$20-$25
wild,check out california fruit wine co.they are out of escondido.i worked with the one of the owners for 10 + years.if you contact them ask for devin,and make sure you mention my name.

My wife would be the one to answer this but I'll give it a shot. Chardonay
Yellow tail, Covey Run. Any number of Yakima Valley Chardonays.

La crema pinot, excellent...& for the price too
Hess select '08 cab sav, not bad.

stay away from meridian anything, and most australian wine is ....not my bag

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

La crema pinot, excellent...& for the price too
Hess select '08 cab sav, not bad.

^ Both Very good IMHO...

Enjoying a glass of '04 Mirassou cab at the moment .
Not 'high end', but floral, slight black cherry overtones,
a bit of chocolate hint, & smooth as bottom of small child!!

Glad to see there are others on here who enjoy wine. I am sure no wine snob, but do keep between 70 to 100 bottles of cab in the rack. I try and rotate them so the ones I am enjoying on "treat days," are at least 5 to 7 years old. Tamarack, Estancia, Simi, Mondavi unfiltered, The Edge, Charles Krug, etc.

Then for regular consumption (can't afford those on a daily or even weekly basis) we usually buy a case of Columbia Crest Grand Estates (best under $10 I have found) Cab.
I hardly ever buy wine myself, it is usually given to me for gifts by close friends and family.
The Mrs. gave me the last case of CCGE for Christmas, and it is about gone. Last year it was a couple cases of "7 daughters" a real nice blend of 7 grapes.

My all time favorite, is Freemark Abbey, but can't justify the cost. Once in a while my boss will gift me a bottle, as her husband keeps a lot of wine, as his hobby. They are partners in a Michigan winery called "Founders" that has some real nice whites, and some fancy reds, but I haven't opened one of their cabs yet since the winery started in 2007.

We can never get more than 5 in the rack, it seems as soon as the cork is popped it "evaporates" quickly :)

We like Aussie shiraz (Yellow Tail) - chocolate and berry. Nice with BEEF. Also been drinking some Malbecs from S.America. A little lighter, but robust.

Grant

summer is coming lets bust out some nice fruity sauvignon blanc's from Australia! whats good?

Glad to see there are others on here who enjoy wine. I am sure no wine snob, but do keep between 70 to 100 bottles of cab in the rack. I try and rotate them so the ones I am enjoying on "treat days," are at least 5 to 7 years old. Tamarack, Estancia, Simi, Mondavi unfiltered, The Edge, Charles Krug, etc.

Then for regular consumption (can't afford those on a daily or even weekly basis) we usually buy a case of Columbia Crest Grand Estates (best under $10 I have found) Cab.
I hardly ever buy wine myself, it is usually given to me for gifts by close friends and family.
The Mrs. gave me the last case of CCGE for Christmas, and it is about gone. Last year it was a couple cases of "7 daughters" a real nice blend of 7 grapes.

My all time favorite, is Freemark Abbey, but can't justify the cost. Once in a while my boss will gift me a bottle, as her husband keeps a lot of wine, as his hobby. They are partners in a Michigan winery called "Founders" that has some real nice whites, and some fancy reds, but I haven't opened one of their cabs yet since the winery started in 2007.

I've had Estancia and cloumbia crest, tasty.

My pick for the $6-$7 is the '06 BV coastal estates cab, it's a nice mix of napa/mendicino/ and if I remember right.. paso robbles
great for drinking right away.

I have a friend who bottles his own from various vinyards, its a cab franc that really blew me away..cab/merlot very very good, he wont tell me where exactly it comes from though...yet at least.lol

On the other hand, my uncle who is a wine buff bought a lot of french 'and others' cases of wine back in the early 80's, so we bust out the '83 vintage chateau pauliac a couple times a year for the hollidays...EXCELLENT!!!
Then there is the '66 he has.....chateau latuor I believe and some others.

the 06-08 BV napa cab need to age more imo

Clos du Bois, very good quality for their prices. They produce a lot of wine but that doesn't mean it's not good.

Rex-Goliath is my go-to right now, on a tight budget, very decent Cab and Chard for around 6 bucks.

I've had Estancia and cloumbia crest, tasty.

My pick for the $6-$7 is the '06 BV coastal estates cab, it's a nice mix of napa/mendicino/ and if I remember right.. paso robbles
great for drinking right away.

I have a friend who bottles his own from various vinyards, its a cab franc that really blew me away..cab/merlot very very good, he wont tell me where exactly it comes from though...yet at least.lol

On the other hand, my uncle who is a wine buff bought a lot of french 'and others' cases of wine back in the early 80's, so we bust out the '83 vintage chateau pauliac a couple times a year for the hollidays...EXCELLENT!!!
Then there is the '66 he has.....chateau latuor I believe and some others.
Good call on the BV Coastal, and I agree it needs to mature. Since the CCGE made a 91 on "Wine Spectator" a few years ago, the price has gone up 50%. You used to be able to find it for $6.50 to $7, now it is just under $10.

I have never really tasted those real expensive wines, just can't imagine the price. When things were prosperous a few years ago, I was buying my bosses husband a bottle of Opus One for Christmas each year, but he hasn't ever shared any of it with me.

Clos du Bois, very good quality for their prices. They produce a lot of wine but that doesn't mean it's not good.

Rex-Goliath is my go-to right now, on a tight budget, very decent Cab and Chard for around 6 bucks.
I have never seen the Rex-Goliath, will have to look for it, thanks.

The only bad wine I ever opened was a 10 year old bottle of Clos du Bois cab. OMG, that was nasty, and had huge chunks in it. I am not sure what happened, but it wasn't good. My guess, it was poorly stored by the retailer.

I catch myself almost laughing at the ritual some wine drinkers go to on "approving" a bottle of wine. But if you would have tasted that bad bottle, you could see why. But I still don't do it, I just smell it.

I'll have to try it, thanks

I have a bottle of Justin '08 cab but I'm waiting 3-5 yrs before opening it.

I agree on the Clos Du Bois. Great Merlots and Cabs for about 12-15 bucks a bottle. I also like the Chilean reds when I can find them.

I've ended up with a bad bottle every now and again (Maybe 3 in 25 years?). The dead giveaway is a dried up cork, but many wine makers are now using synthetic stoppers. A quick smell of the cork gives it away.

I grabbed a bottle of Merlot from the Jack London winery and it WAS AWESOME! About 35 bucks + if it can be found at all.

I also once had a wine from Hungary that supposedly from 1000+ year old vines. It was very rich and tasty and stupid expensive. Can't remeber the name though.

I like a good German white like Zeller Schwartz Katz in the fall season.

-
Back