tunnel ram

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Iv'e got a 70 340 block all stock bored 30 over heads are ported with 202 int. and 160 ex. mopar aluminum duel plain manifold. with a 750 cfm edelbrock carb. not sure what year the heads are one has a U stamping the other is O. what would you do to get 400 hp out of it without using nitrous. would a tunnel ram help?

Tunnel ram? LMAO

A FACTORY iron 4bbl. intake is 400hp capable. Free up the air flow to make power easier with a rpm intand.

Tunnel Ram on a stock motor is not where you want to start. 340 was rated by NHRA about 325 corrected HP stock. Start with a cam change and build it around that.

I h
I almost never use a dual plane any more. For what you are doing a Holley Street Dominator will be fine.
I have an old edelbrock torquer [didn't spell that right] single plane if that is how you say it. would that help.

I h
I have an old edelbrock torquer [didn't spell that right] single plane if that is how you say it. would that help.
Not a fan of the Torker intakes. The Torker II 340 was the last one and best one of that line. Designed for serious street strip engines where car owner didn’t want to cut the hood for clearance, it is a low rise single plane intake. IF your ignoring power below 3500, it is OK.

Since I have been there and done that with that intake & swapped to a RPM-AIrGap intake, and would suggest to you to sell the single plane and get a RPM intake.

The RPM will make a good bit more torque over the Torker intakes and stand toe to toe on HP.

like I said I'm not a gear head just a simple body man please forgive my ignorance what did I post wrong about my manifold
You did t post anything wrong. You asked a simple question and a tunnel ram is not a good choice for a low powered engine.

Help us out! Your 340. You said it is a .030 engine. Do you know what the compression ratio is?

What dual plane is it? A “MoPar” intake. As in it says Mopar on it?

Oh! And as much as I like yellowrose, I would not use the Holley Street Dominator. Personal preference

Not a fan of the Torker intakes. The Torker II 340 was the last one and best one of that line. Designed for serious street strip engines where car owner didn’t want to cut the hood for clearance, it is a low rise single plane intake. IF your ignoring power below 3500, it is OK.

Since I have been there and done that with that intake & swapped to a RPM-AIrGap intake, and would suggest to you to sell the single plane and get a RPM intake.

The RPM will make a good bit more torque over the Torker intakes and stand toe to toe on HP.

You did t post anything wrong. You asked a simple question and a tunnel ram is not a good choice for a low powered engine.

Help us out! Your 340. You said it is a .030 engine. Do you know what the compression ratio is?

What dual plane is it? A “MoPar” intake. As in it says Mopar on it?
not sure how to tell my compression but I have the # on the manifold it is a mopar #p4532058. and as bad as my eye site is the 2 5's could be 6's not much help a'm I.

not sure how to tell my compression but I have the # on the manifold it is a mopar #p4532058. and as bad as my eye site is the 2 5's could be 6's not much help a'm I.
A picture would help.;)
iv'e always liked holy's but my Edelebrocks hold there settings for me just fine
We’re talking intake manifolds, not carbs.

Fred...take some pics. They are literally worth a thousand words on here. Don’t worry about what you ask...better to ask it and avoid the headache of running down the wrong line of thinking. IMHO a tunnel Ram is the last thing you need. Cam, windage tray (if none already), Performer RPM intake? The RPM Air Gap is good too, but not sure about hood clearance for you there.

1203171912.jpg
1203171913.jpg
hope this helps

IMHO it will be pretty hard to improve on what you have already. There is nothing wrong with that intake.

What tunnel ram do you have?
don't have one yet. windage tray in there already thinking of changing cam size but not sure what Iv'e got now. I would like to get my engine set up before I restore her. cutting the hood is no problem as long as I'm set and happy with the running gear. then I won't mess up my new paint job trying to make changes.

Let em keep laughing. You can get 400+ hp with a tunnel ram and it looks totally BAD AZZ!!!
With right cam setup and stall TC/ rear gear, you can have low end power on street with tunnel ram and small carbs.
Ask me how I know.....Especially BB.

Hey just because these ladies don't have the cojones to put a dual quad tunnel ram on their car doesn't mean you shouldn't too?! I did it, with a low compression 318 and dropped a half second at the drag strip right in everybody's face, when they said I couldn't! just like they're doing to you now. No I've had a dual quad setup since I've started this motor and haven't regretted sense and love it just like what's his name there said it's badass and always will be and always was! I say do it! And why the heck are you letting these guys call your 340 low-powered?
my-2

don't have one yet. windage tray in there already thinking of changing cam size but not sure what Iv'e got now. I would like to get my engine set up before I restore her. cutting the hood is no problem as long as I'm set and happy with the running gear. then I won't mess up my new paint job trying to make changes.

With right cam setup and stall TC/ rear gear, you can have low end power on street with tunnel ram and small carbs.
Ask me how I know.....Especially BB.
I have 410' s in my rear end [? that didn't sound good] and a gear vendor over drive I'm hoping that would help with the tunnel ram. but don't leave me hanging how do you know

Let em keep laughing. You can get 400+ hp with a tunnel ram and it looks totally BAD AZZ!!!
I don’t know who this clown is but I ain’t laughing at you.

Hey just because these ladies don't have the cojones to put a dual quad tunnel ram on their car doesn't mean you shouldn't too?! I did it, with a low compression 318 and dropped a half second at the drag strip right in everybody's face, when they said I couldn't! just like they're doing to you now. No I've had a dual quad setup since I've started this motor and haven't regretted sense and love it just like what's his name there said it's badass and always will be and always was! I say do it! And why the heck are you letting these guys call your 340 low-powered?
my-2
Ummmm, you calling me a lady?
Are you including me in the “nay sayers club?”
IMO, 400hp is low powered. Besides eye candy, I do t see any sense in spending for 2 carbs and an intake he does t have to make the power sought.
hope this helps
It does by a ton. That intake is 400hp capable.

so
my-2
can you drive it on the street or long drives ok

A tunnel ram on a he street for long drives?

SURE! Been hundreds of miles at a time with one.

I don’t know who this clown is but I ain’t laughing at you.

Ummmm, you calling me a lady?
Are you including me in the “nay sayers club?”
IMO, 400hp is low powered. Besides eye candy, I do t see any sense in spending for 2 carbs and an intake he does t have to make the power sought.

It does by a ton. That intake is 400hp capable.
that sounds good to me so what would do to make 400 hp

-
Back