Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
I also was thinking about skirts ie my question be for about clearance.
Good luck keep working I want to see it finished.

I forgot to mention,

Once initial break-in is done I use Z-Max in all my engines. Should also help the Turbo's bearing under those extreme heat conditions.

Well,
After a few hours and a botched attempt at getting the 5" dp done it is hanging on the wall. I ordered a few 45 and 90 4" mandrels and gonna run them to the rearend and split them to two 3" out the back for now. I can use the 5" at the track.

I got the rotating assembly yesterday and ordered the main & rod inserts. Should be here Friday. Called Kevin at Total seal and found that the ring pack that come with the Diamond pistons aren't correct for my application. They are the CR series File-fit moly and he stated that I should have gotten the CS or MS series. I am waiting on a response from my vendor. Hopefully they will take these back and supply me with the correct ring pack.

I have been trying to trade a C6 race prepped w/trans-brake for a C4 for my wifes 66 altered Muttstang. I think it may be in my best interests to keep it and chop the bellhousing off and get a JW bellhousing for bigblock Mopar. Put it in the Cuda. The C6 is waaaay stronger than the 727!!

I have come to a point where interest is about to be lost. BIG *** MONEY HOLE! I have dropped nearly $8000 on this turbo thing. I could have completed the entire Body and Interior for that and freshened the 440. O'well, I'm neck deep now! LoL! Gotta get a few more side jobs to complete this thing.

I hope to have the engine running by next week at least. I will run it for a while until its broke in and then I will install the turbo and get some videos posted. Body is still in Bare metal. I have a little bodywork to do then I can get it sealed before I take a ride in it. Gotta put the doors back on too!

Well,

I have come to a point where interest is about to be lost. BIG *** MONEY HOLE! I have dropped nearly $8000 on this turbo thing. I could have completed the entire Body and Interior for that and freshened the 440. O'well, I'm neck deep now! LoL! Gotta get a few more side jobs to complete this thing.

Does the 8k include the engine also? If it does that is Cheap!

I quit counting.....projects like this will depress you if you keep track!

Does the 8k include the engine also? If it does that is Cheap!

Yep, even the suspension and disc swap. $1000 at the machinist.

I quit counting.....projects like this will depress you if you keep track!

You got that right! That is why I am doing most of the labor involved.

Sorry folks! I am really impatient! Cars are a real LOVE/HATE relationship!:sad3:

Take a little time off from your project. It is suppose to be fun not a job.
Hurry up though I can`t wait to see and here that turbo spool up.
It`s only money you can`t take it with you when your gone.

5" to two 3" passenger side. I tacked it in place and pulled it out and final welded all the seams and "Dammit" the front one that goes under the oil pan moved rearward. Gotta notch it and bend it back where it was to begin with. Decided to go with what I had instead of the 4".
A few pics,

Attachments

• downpipe 001.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • downpipe 002.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • downpipe 003.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,112
  • downpipe 004.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,122
A couple more,

Attachments

• downpipe 005.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • downpipe 006.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • downpipe 007.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,113
Are you going to keep them split and run dual exhaust out to the back of the car or dump it there?
Yep!
Through 3" and Race Bullets out the factory location. Hope I can find 3" square tips like the originals.

Yep!
Through 3" and Race Bullets out the factory location. Hope I can find 3" square tips like the originals.

I have some TTI 3" Tips that look brand new. I used them for about 3 weeks and pulled them off along with the 2 pipes that go over the axle after the mufflers. All 3"!

I have some TTI 3" Tips that look brand new. I used them for about 3 weeks and pulled them off along with the 2 pipes that go over the axle after the mufflers. All 3"!

Nice, pretty penny though I bet. I have just enough to get to the rearend with the race bullets.

Dare I ask how much????

I have slowed to a creep with this build due to exhausted:-s funds. Unable to obtain employment since last September. I have everything but the Timing set and an oil pump. I finished a little side job and will be compensated Saturday. Then I can get those 2 parts and assemble the engine. I also gotta order a set of .550 lift valvesprings for the 906's Then it will be time for a short "Break-in" before the turbo gets bolted on.

ALMOST There!!!
:wav:

Nice, pretty penny though I bet. I have just enough to get to the rearend with the race bullets.

Dare I ask how much????

I have slowed to a creep with this build due to exhausted:-s funds. Unable to obtain employment since last September. I have everything but the Timing set and an oil pump. I finished a little side job and will be compensated Saturday. Then I can get those 2 parts and assemble the engine. I also gotta order a set of .550 lift valvesprings for the 906's Then it will be time for a short "Break-in" before the turbo gets bolted on.

ALMOST There!!!
:wav:

I will come up with a price and get back with you. Jut the tips or the pipes also?

Will you be running a blow proof bellhousing? What clutch? Also will you keep the 23 spline or opt for an 18?

Will you be running a blow proof bellhousing? What clutch? Also will you keep the 23 spline or opt for an 18?
Well,
That has been a dilemma here with me and my Pops! Gonna play with the 4speed thats in it for a short period. I have a Bulletproof C6 setup for drag racing with a Pro-brake trans-brake, Aftermarket input & output shafts, Billet servos etc. etc.. I can cut the belhousing off and get a JW bell for it. Its much stronger than any 727! I can get my hands on a TF 5500rpm stall. I think I can get the pump drive collar/sleeve for a C6 welded to it.

Its all in the air at the moment but will definitely break it in with the 833.

Got some more of the exhaust done. Just gotta stretch the driverside back to match the passenger side. Then I will weld some 3" collectors to the end for the rest of the exhaust to bolt up to.

Attachments

• downpipe 005.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,098
  • downpipe 004.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • downpipe 003.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • downpipe 002.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • downpipe 001.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,071
Ahh i see. The reason I ask is Iam wanting to put together a turbo b-block for my 65 coronet AWB. And Iam wanting to run a 4 speed. I have heard the 23 spline 833 will take almost as much as a 18 spline. And since most of the hp and torque will come on later in the rpm range it shouldnt experince too much shock off the line. Food for though at least

Ahh i see. The reason I ask is Iam wanting to put together a turbo b-block for my 65 coronet AWB. And Iam wanting to run a 4 speed. I have heard the 23 spline 833 will take almost as much as a 18 spline. And since most of the hp and torque will come on later in the rpm range it shouldnt experince too much shock off the line. Food for though at least
Yeah,
A few of my Mopar buddies seem to think that I won't be able to shift it. Something about jumping out of third due to the high torque numbers???

Yeah,
A few of my Mopar buddies seem to think that I won't be able to shift it. Something about jumping out of third due to the high torque numbers???

I don't believe it will jump out of 3rd though it may break 3rd! Depends on how you drive it. If you are in the power band and try to speed shift it then Yes it will for sure probably end up breaking at some point. 3rd gear is the weak link in the A833. Brewers says it will take right at 600Hp/TQ to do it though and the 18 spline will break 3rd also!

I don't believe it will jump out of 3rd though it may break 3rd! Depends on how you drive it. If you are in the power band and try to speed shift it then Yes it will for sure probably end up breaking at some point. 3rd gear is the weak link in the A833. Brewers says it will take right at 600Hp/TQ to do it though and the 18 spline will break 3rd also!
Yep,
My 70 year old Mopar buddy basically said the same thing. He has been racing 4 speed Mopars for years. Someone may know him here, Joe Keen. He his wife and son raced mostly in and around Indianna. I guess we will see what happens??

Finally got a straight answer from Total Seal.
.024 top and .024 bottom and .015 oil ring gaps. Stuck all the top rings in the cylinders and I have an untouched gap of .028 for the top???? So don't need to file the top rings. Now for the second ring. they are tight so they will need to be filed. Question is, do I file to .024 or file them the same as the top ring of .028????

Some pics,

Attachments

• engine assy 001.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • engine assy 002.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,056
  • engine assy 003.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • engine assy 004.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,042
-
Back