Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
I did some cutting on mine, but it fits with a dual 11" Spal.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 374
:banghead: man i am having all sorts of clearance issues had to clearance the new pan a little for the rack and pinion setup also put a bung in it to run the oil return from the turbo that way i can move the return from the fuel pump location and then put the alternator there putting the power steering pump were the alternator is now, also picked up a real nice wieland aluminum timing cover went to put a new seal in it and they didn't use a stock seal will have to go to napa in the morning to try find one that will work

want to try and stay away from an electric water pump keep hearing that its a bad idea to run them on the street but i have never ran one before so maybe its time to educate myself on them i was looking what it would take to bring the radiator forward like 72BBswinger suggested but still wont have the clearance for the fan if i can find 2 10" fans that will pull 3000 air that would work but when i called Summit racing today they didn't have anything that would pull that much they told me that there probably out there but its something they don't sell and to just do some web surfing

sorry no pics today was to busy scratching my head on the clearance issues

Check out the comparison here....... Alot of guys use the ford taurus fan cause it is slim and flows around 4800CFM it draws IIRC, 30 amps though. It is off center so maybe that will help you??

Alot of different choices just got to see what works. Some on this link will go up to
10000 CFM++"Ten Thousand"

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350404

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Taurus...Ford|Model:Taurus&hash=item5654600762&vxp=mtr

thanks very much thats very good information

I have the Taurus fan but no way will it work with power steering. The dual 11" Spal setup was the best flowing,2750cfm, that fits.

my power steering and the alternator are not my problem its the nose of the water pump it sticks out 2.5"past the pulleys i did find some fans spall makes in 11" that pull 1650 each but they are 4.5" thick and pull 40 amps they sell a special 150 amp relay and a 60 amp fuse to run them also just found the specs on the 06 charger fan assembly i think that might work sense there set up is angled

Attachments

• middle_2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 339
I did some cutting on mine, but it fits with a dual 11" Spal.

LoL! He can't move the radiator like you did. There is a big *** intercooler in front!

Whatever fans you decide on just make sure the shroud has the rubber flaps to vent the shroud while driving down the road. If you don't have those flaps it will get hot no matter what you do!!! My Pops Duster has this setup on it with 4000 cfm,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-High-O...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460e1d5cff&vxp=mtr

Whatever people are telling you about electric waterpumps are full of it! I ran CSR pumps on the street here in hot South Texas without a single issue!

This one is pricey but with the top mount motor should give you the clearance you need for the fans. I would call and get the specs as far as length and determine if it will work for you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BLOCK-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f226f79c9&vxp=mtr

Thats exactly why I stuck with the fan that was on it. Clearance with a bigblock in any a-body is a challenge not to mention a big *** turbo to boot!

I think I would have stuck with a manual rack. Once your rolling there is no real need for power steering but thats just my opinion.

Moving that alternator might be a big issue too! Lotta heat going on over on that side of the engine. You may want to look into a alternator from a late model Dodge truck or Durango. They are much smaller and put out alot more power for all the new electrical stuff you are adding. You will need to fab up a new bracket since the turbo bracket takes up the alternator mount location. I would suggest you NOT remove that bracket to the turbo! You want that there to keep the weight of that turbo off the headers. It "will" crack those headers if it is just hanging there!!! That turbo is a heavy pig bro!

Just my lousy two cents!!!!:cheers:

so i spent most of the morning running around trying to find this oddball timing cover seal finally found one that will work checked the pan for leaks (none found) then i drilled and tapped the oil pickup port to fit 1/2" npt installed the pickup

the rack and pinion has an air vent tube that runs across the top of it so went and got some more tubing and fabed a new one that now runs lower so it now clears the pan by a 1/2" also took some pics of my alternator and power steering pump in the location they will be in

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 314
rack and pinion the first pc is with me holding the tube i changed and the second is what it looks like finished

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 316
  • photo 4.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 324
this is the pics of my alternator and power steering pump i'm holding them were they will be mounted

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 299
  • photo 4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 324
this is a pic of the new water pump housing i picked up

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 303
You will need to ditch the single fan and shroud. Worst case two 10" ones. Or even four 8" fans. Have two of them come on at 185 and the other two at 190.

If you use two 10" you will need to cut two square holes and install rubber flaps to allow air to flow while driving. They will suck shut while sitting still. These flaps will keep it from overheating while driving it.

I see you got the mini alternator, good choice! Looking good for sure!! CSR also makes a electric pump that bolts into the stock waterpump housing in place of the stock pump.

Just a thought.

You will need to ditch the single fan and shroud. Worst case two 10" ones. Or even four 8" fans. Have two of them come on at 185 and the other two at 190.

If you use two 10" you will need to cut two square holes and install rubber flaps to allow air to flow while driving. They will suck shut while sitting still. These flaps will keep it from overheating while driving it.

I see you got the mini alternator, good choice! Looking good for sure!! CSR also makes a electric pump that bolts into the stock waterpump housing in place of the stock pump.

Just a thought.

i have spent many hrs researching fan cfm and also spent many hrs talking to fan manufacture companies today and found out that none of the fans out there will pull enough cfm even when running 4 - 8" fans or 2 - 10" or 2 - 11" there is one 11" inch fan that pulls that much air but takes way to much juice to ran them (and that info came from the manufacturer of the fan)it wont work so what i have decided to do is use 2 - 12" fans and design a shroud that will taper back to the radiator core and after talking to several experts today they tell me that it will work and that little bit of tapper will i will actually increase the velocity and air volume over what it is rated at least thats what they told me i didn't quite understand all the technical info they were saying but for some reason when you funnel air that way it is increased

I noticed the Derale mentioned above only has like a 3 7/16 mounting depth which is about as good as it gets.

well i finally bought a fan set up its the same setup they use on grave digger

Attachments

• 61pVi7MoMgL._SL1000_.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 309
Looks very similar to the one I posted the link of on ebay.

ya but the ebay one is the wrong size but it is the same company though the one i got is the exact size i need and that surprised me nothing for these cars fits right

That is the one with sealed fan motors, which is a good thing. Its pretty thick at the fan motors because of that but if you manipulate your PS and ALT it will work.

-
Back