Twin Turbo 1971 Scamp Project

-
Cool project. What is your power goal to the Tires?? HP/Tq and at how much boost?

320-340 RWHP in stockish trim which would be about the same in torque. That's probably about 12-13 psi After all the bugs are worked out I'd consider heading for 18-19 psi but the JDM, (Japanese Domestic Market) CT20 turbos don't love being pushed outside their efficiency island for long life. It's so hard build everything on a car and trying to think about big power until you know if it's going to all work properly. I still lose sleep over driveline angles! ;)

Cool idea and nice work you're doing. I just went backwards through the whole thread. I love that fuel tank, what a great fit. Beats a cell in the trunk, I'll be keeping that in mind. I think you chose the right car as well, I'm a little biased, but the little Scamp will be a big surprise to those who choose to challenge it! Keep up the great fabbing and engineering! :prayer:

Cool idea and nice work you're doing. I just went backwards through the whole thread. I love that fuel tank, what a great fit. Beats a cell in the trunk, I'll be keeping that in mind. I think you chose the right car as well, I'm a little biased, but the little Scamp will be a big surprise to those who choose to challenge it! Keep up the great fabbing and engineering! :prayer:

Peter Bergman and Tim wanted me to do a Dart front clip on it but we have clean metal and since my daughter has a Green Scamp I thought it would be cool to have a different color twin with an evil heart! The tank is no issue to do and while we did add a few crossmember braces underneath it was for effect probably more than anything!

320-340 RWHP in stockish trim which would be about the same in torque. That's probably about 12-13 psi After all the bugs are worked out I'd consider heading for 18-19 psi but the JDM, (Japanese Domestic Market) CT20 turbos don't love being pushed outside their efficiency island for long life. It's so hard build everything on a car and trying to think about big power until you know if it's going to all work properly. I still lose sleep over driveline angles! ;)

they are mint dave!!!

they are mint dave!!!

Tim's mint IC fabbing today.

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Nice job, I use to be one of those v8 guys. Then friend had a nice turbo talon which lead me to get my sti. Now I see how much power can be made out of a 4 or 6 with a turbo and yet drive them everyday with no issues. I think this project is great and coming out even better.

Details continue. No glory for Timmy fabbing upper rad brackets, welding shifter linkages, custom dipstick tubes, and battery boxes. It's these details that we have to finish before we can attempt to start the car. We have 1 month and that really means only about 40 actual man hours left to button things up. I know that sounds like plenty of time but there still a few things on the list. I know we, (Tim and Dave), are both tired but it's getting to look like a real car and hopefully it run well.

rad%20mounts.jpg

shift%20linkage.jpg

Just found this thread and love the idea! Makes me want to do this some day! :D

I will say that there are probably 100 easier and cheaper MOPAR only ways to produce 320 RWHP! ;) But what makes the Supra engine nice to play with is the fact that you CAN make 750 horsepower to the bags with a 2JZGTE if you run a big single turbocharger and an aftermarket ECU. This swap DOES require some fabrication in the sense that you need subframe connectors and crossmember to support a center bearing as the drive shaft will be too long and reach critical speed just when the speeds start to get fun. On a 108" WB car not as much of a worry but the extra few inches put us at 58" U joint to U Joint.

Overall though it fits like a dream even with Mopar rear steering and there is no problem getting to bits and pieces under the hood or under the car.

We tried our best to build it with a Harbor Freight band saw and a MIG welder and other than getting the aluminum charge air tubes welded by a Tig welder.

You are welcome to hook up with me for notes, pictures, or come take measurements we, (Fram) are on the road with the car this year.

It's alive! It's heading to paint this weekend and with the doors and clip off we really can't get it on the freeway just yet. Lots of updates....I will be posting as soon as I get a break.

Here's a VIDEO of the startup: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soN9K64jOQw"]Virgin Startup Scrapyard Scamp - YouTube[/ame]

top%20view%20%28Small%29.JPG

Fantastic both as a import owner and a domestic owner Great combination. would love to see it at least 5 speed with a r154 behind it.. 6 speeds are over priced... enjoy Great project.

and i bet you get 25+ mpg.

i wonder how many times your gonna hear about how someone had a slant 6 just like this back in the day and how it ran forever. blah blah blah. lol.

Keeping the original color? Keeping the vinyl top? What's your paint idea? Or did I miss it in the thread...

Since I work for Fram, it's going to be 70' Amc Big Bad Orange with some black accents, like Dart rear stripe and a black hood. No vinyl top.

East meets west looking good. Whens the conversion kit coming.

Hmmm. A mount kit wouldn't be hard. All the little stuff is what makes it a harder prospect. If someone had a clean stripped down donor car and wanted to invest... ;)

Long nights and a couple of all nighters and the Scrapyard Scamp heads to paint.

off%20to%20paint.jpg

body%20fit.jpg

-
Back