Twin Turbo 1971 Scamp Project

-
Getting there...6 days left in the paint schedule....These guys, (Wrecks and Restorations) have been working all nighters. 70' AMC Big Bad Orange. I realize that I will have to deal with some of the backorderd items like door arm rests and front bumpers. But we should be OK.

orange%20quarter%20%28Small%29.jpg

Getting there...6 days left in the paint schedule....These guys, (Wrecks and Restorations) have been working all nighters. 70' AMC Big Bad Orange. I realize that I will have to deal with some of the backorderd items like door arm rests and front bumpers. But we should be OK.

orange%20quarter%20%28Small%29.jpg

Nice color. I am stone cold trippinnnnnn. What part of the car is that?

definitely Cool.... not a big fan of brand x engine in brand a car.
but to each is own. nice to see someone thinking out side of the box.
awesome job!

I see you made it to Power Tour... (not my pics, found on moparts)

Attachments

• 7730155-HotRodPowerTour2013040.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 7730156-HotRodPowerTour2013041.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,131
So how does it run?

Runs excellent! It's certainly no slouch even at stock boost levels and an untouched PCM! Punch this thing from 70 and you it jail velocity really quickly! As I had some launch shudder I refrained from any boosted brake torques and just flat pedeled her around. I have a punch list of little things to fix, tweak pinion/driveshaft angle, power steering pressure is too low, needs a trans cooler, etc. I also need a REAL wheel alignment as we basically set the toe to go! But we got nearly 28 mpg on one leg drafting the Fram trailer a bit.

Power is very good even though we left the calibration and boost levels bone stock for Power Tour sanity. We made more friends than enemies and when these guys realized that we saved our non running little Valiant from the crusher and that our entire drivetrain cost us only $2,100 delivered including electronics the cries surrounding the engine choice sort of slipped into a bit of envy on those puzzled faces.

As a late in life Mopar fan with a bone stock Slant 6 Scamp and this car I still feel a bit of an outsider as I don't have a numbers matching 69' Charger with a 440 Six Pack. That's more of the purists giving me crap.

I was honored to have some really talented car crafters, engineers, and personalities, including Rutledge Wood from Top Gear take pics of the car and compliment me, (and by proxy Tim Skardoutous), on our Scrapyard Scamp build. I was sure to tell them that this was a collective effort by dedicated friends to just do something different but something that's attainable in a garage with a lift, a band saw, a chop saw and Mig Welder.
When you think about all of the REALLY AWESOME cars on display that we had to compete with it's amazing that someone wants to spend 15-20 minutes in a walk around with the car.

For me that's all the validation I need to know that we at least had an interesting car to display. The Fram brand love on Power Tour was beyond amazing and I cannot stress how honored it makes me feel to be on the Fram/Prestone/Autolite marketing teams as a car guy.

We drove every leg except for the last one as I was just exhausted from the last month of sleepless nights and it finally caught up with me so we had Pilot Transportation take Scrapyard to the last stop and I slept Friday morning with my coworker driving the rental car!

I got a chance to plug my pal Peter Bergman and Bergman Autocraft as the stance, wheels and tires were some real focal points bringing guys in for a closer look. Once folks peeked underhood you could hear the "I have no idea what that motor is, but it's fits like factory and looks really cool". The DigiTail taillights were also a cool piece!

I feel we did our Mopars proud as we had many many Mustang and Camaro guys commenting on what a pretty car this was and what a cool platform this is to build., "This car is just the RIGHT size for a hot rod!", "I never heard of a Scamp!", to "I like the fact that you swapped that Duster clip on to that old Dart!", "This is too cool!", "That's a SUPRA engine, you SIR ARE BADASS!" of course we had, "You better not show up at the Mopar Nats with this abortion!" and "What a dumb choice for an engine!"

I think we were the only vendor that did the whole tour with an A body Mopar, but American Powertrain had their very nice 69' Valiant, with Aluminum Big Block on hand for most of the other stops from Memphis on.

great job, that thing does look great... all the PICS are awesome. I really dig the swap, now make a kit...

JOE

great job, that thing does look great... all the PICS are awesome. I really dig the swap, now make a kit...

JOE

THis is not NEARLY as neat as the FRAM Scamp, but is whole lot easier and cheaper, and will turn some heads.... and requires no "kit." Everything bolts together...

This video shows the performance potential, which admittedly is nowhere NEAR the performance potential of the Supra-powered car, but mid tens ain't too shabby... and, this was done with a 727... a 904 probably would have resulted in 130 mph.

To wit: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

We attempted to build a clone of that car and attached are the pictures of our effort, which has yet to see a drag strip (we're old and S-L-O-W.)

But, we'll get there...

Here are some pix of the FRAM Scamp alternative, below:

Like I said, just an alternative way of doing things; not NEARLY as neat or fast as the Supra swap... but probably cheaper and fast enough...

Gotta LOVE that Scamp!!!!:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_3612.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 100_3622-001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 100_3795.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 984
  • 100_3720.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,293
  • js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 992
  • js640_IMG_0747[1].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 982
This exercise was meant to show that you don't HAVE to have a 4-valve head and a Japanese engine to go pretty fast in an A-body. All it takes is a well-tuned /6 and a hairdryer...

Not as exotic nor as fast as the twin-turbo Supra deal, but an easier car to put together, and sometimes that's a significant advantage. Just sayin'....

Holy cow, how did I miss this thread. A 2JZ motor in a Scamp is pretty damn neat, I myself have seen a few 2JZ powered supra's and lexus's haul serious *** around here. Nice job!

This exercise was meant to show that you don't HAVE to have a 4-valve head and a Japanese engine to go pretty fast in an A-body. All it takes is a well-tuned /6 and a hairdryer...

Not as exotic nor as fast as the twin-turbo Supra deal, but an easier car to put together, and sometimes that's a significant advantage. Just sayin'....

As a guy who SUPPORTS a propane injected turbo slant I know the engine's great potential with boost. I also know its weaknesses, (4 main bearings, head sealing, overdrive automatics, etc.) There is no comparison of these two engines as the 2JZ has had 30 years of technology to draw from. I guarantee that your car will still be faster 1 year from now because we set our objectives on upgrades that did not reduce the engine's reliability or super quiet 550 rpm idle.

The 2JZ is simply amazing to drive and as I have driven both setups. I can only say that having a Scamp with modern features like EFI, Variable Valve Timing, and Sequential Turbocharging is just outside anyone's expectations and the midrange and upper RPM power is intoxicating even at the stockish boost levels. The car is not fast yet as we are still making it a "CAR", fixing wheel alignments, pinion angles, small leaks, etc. Remember this was a non-op neglected car that needed everything!

If someone wants a "KIT", we would certainly help with that. Personally I'd rather see a really nice EFI and Turbo setup for the Slants and I would be happy to invest the cash and engineering time for this IF we get some serious interest in "KITS" BEFORE you will see us, (Timmy and me), make a 2JZ install kit. I'd like to do a 12 PSI intercooled EFI, (Megasquirt based), kit where we'd provide the headers, intake, intercooler, etc. Be real cool to see some 330 RWHP Slants killing Chevelles on the streets! I don't like the Slant cylinder head and I will say that forever but unless 150-200 of us want to spend a grand on crowd sourced head tooling and production we are stuck with a non cross flow iron head.

I am keeping NO SECRETS with our Supra swap as I would be honored to help someone do just what we did. The first one is always expensive as it's all, "Will this work?"

Bill, as always you've done well and I admire your professional outcomes with your cars. I hope we can meet up sometime as I want you to drive the Scamp!

A
Bill, as always you've done well and I admire your professional outcomes with your cars. I hope we can meet up sometime as I want you to drive the Scamp!

Dave,

That ToyMOpar is the most awesome engine swap I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of them...

I'd be honored to take a spin in that car... I am sure it would be the high point of my Mopar experience!

I liked your idea of meeting on one of your Wal*Mart/Bentonville trips. If you will send me a blank email, so I have a contact method for you (exclusive of this Forum,) I will send you my phone number and the next time you're in Arkansas, maybe we could meet up.

There's a turbo shop in Springdale (close to Bentonville) that I think you might like to visit, too...

Billdedman@Hotmail.com

You should be very proud of that Scamp; it's so VERY well-done!

Here's is a few updates:

Back from Hot Rod Power Tour we had a punch list of little things to work on like valve cover and cam seals.

Just made the 1,600 mile round trip to St Paul, MN for the Car Craft Nats, worst tank 24.5 MPG, best tank 27.4, (I had 2 of these),

Car drives great, (Thanks to Pete Bergman's help), build is solid, (Thanks to Timmy, Clark and me), and performance is superb!

Here's a few pics:

scamp%20sideview%20%28Small%29.jpg

ready%202%20go%20%28Small%29.jpg

Here's is a few updates:

Back from Hot Rod Power Tour we had a punch list of little things to work on like valve cover and cam seals.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dave, it sure makes that Mustang look dull, by comparison! :D

I KNOW that performanxe issues have not been addressed, but I'm curious as to how it performs. Have you had it on a drag strip of any kind, yet?

Also I was curious as to what your thinking is on the turbo slant six header you suggested that you might create for potential forced-induction engine builders...

Any progress on that, or did you determine that the market was too small or have some other issues making it a non-starter?

Thanks for any information!

Here's is a few updates:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dave, it sure makes that Mustang look dull, by comparison! :D

I KNOW that performanxe issues have not been addressed, but I'm curious as to how it performs. Have you had it on a drag strip of any kind, yet?

Also I was curious as to what your thinking is on the turbo slant six header you suggested that you might create for potential forced-induction engine builders...

Any progress on that, or did you determine that the market was too small or have some other issues making it a non-starter?

Thanks for any information!

I'm still tweaking the car Bill before I turn horsepower bolts! ;) Swapping out the Hotchkis rears for Bergman's spec springs, and a few other little deals. Right now at stock-ish boost levels it feels like a 12.80 car.

I will get to all of it but I have to go to NOPI in Atlanta, (long drive), in September so I need to focus on the tweaks before tracks!

I plan to speed the car up this Fall/Winter. That's the easy part.

For the Slant turbo headers I'm still fairly positive on making them but I just need some Winter garage time to get motivated.

-
Back