**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
I got a little bit of work done today but not as much as I thought I would. Seems to be the norm lately!!

I ran short on a 45* silicone fitting and I also need to order some more clamps cuzzzz I am going to run out also.

I really wanted to use the EXTREME VELOCITY carb hat but after measuring it would stick out of my hood by about 1.5" and I will not put a scoop on this car no way no how!!!

I need to check the measurements on the M1 intake to see if an intake change will fix the problem. I am hoping so.

View attachment IMG_2324.jpg

View attachment IMG_2325.jpg

View attachment IMG_2326.jpg

View attachment IMG_2327.jpg

View attachment IMG_2328.jpg

View attachment IMG_2329.jpg

View attachment IMG_2330.jpg

View attachment IMG_2332.jpg

View attachment IMG_2333.jpg

View attachment IMG_2334.jpg

I need to cut in the BOV's. As mentioned before I am using 2 50mm valves. I tested them on the bench and they open at 10lbs of Vacuum so when the throttle slams shut they should pop right off! The camshaft will be a SOLID ROLLER with around 230ish @50 and .600 Lift or so. I am hoping it will have plenty of vacuum. If not I can still adjust them.

I also have an Idea................... On the M1 the carb pad is high and MACHINABLE!! Soooo I will probably just switch to the M1 and have Brian Machine about 1 inch off the Pad so I can use the EXTREME VELOCITY Carb Hat and call it GOOD!!:cheers:

I have a 1/2" spacer under the Carb during the Mock up and the reason for that is I want to have enough room for a NITROUS PLATE..........ohhhhhhh yeah!! haaaaaaaaaa

View attachment IMG_2347.jpg

View attachment IMG_2348.jpg

View attachment IMG_2349.jpg

SAAAAWEEEET!! Can't wait to get started on mine!! Guess I am gonna go with the Large single due to the 383 in the A-body.

After more research on which restrictor works best with these Turbo's I have ordered these below. I thought about the restrictor itself and figured where they were mounted it would take a while with an .080 or so hole to fill up the 4an line and may starve the Turbo a bit before it actually got there. So using these the line will see FULL oil pressure at start up and be restricted right at the Turbo eliminating that FEAR!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350345285796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Damn! That's some good lookin work so far louis!!! Keep it up!
Gonna be one fast machine....

After more research on which restrictor works best with these Turbo's I have ordered these below. I thought about the restrictor itself and figured where they were mounted it would take a while with an .080 or so hole to fill up the 4an line and may starve the Turbo a bit before it actually got there. So using these the line will see FULL oil pressure at start up and be restricted right at the Turbo eliminating that FEAR!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350345285796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ran Zmax in my 8 second Falcon once break-in was done. I had a faulty SVO oil pump that blew the bypass into the oilpan and dropped to 0 oil pressure half way thru a run @ 7200rpm. Shut it down by the time I went thru the traps. Got it home and tore the 514 down, Damn-no damage to the inserts. None whatsoever!! I am a firm believer in that stuff!! I will be using it in the 383 after break-in. Once I get the turbo I will be soaking the center section in Zmax after I heat it up with my map torch. I will break it in with Castrol 40 then change to Royal Purple with a bottle of Zmax and it should be ready to go!!!
Believe me!!! It WORKS!!!

I ran Zmax in my 8 second Falcon once break-in was done. I had a faulty SVO oil pump that blew the bypass into the oilpan and dropped to 0 oil pressure half way thru a run @ 7200rpm. Shut it down by the time I went thru the traps. Got it home and tore the 514 down, Damn-no damage to the inserts. None whatsoever!! I am a firm believer in that stuff!! I will be using it in the 383 after break-in. Once I get the turbo I will be soaking the center section in Zmax after I heat it up with my map torch. I will break it in with Castrol 40 then change to Royal Purple with a bottle of Zmax and it should be ready to go!!!
Believe me!!! It WORKS!!!

That is good to know.

I have had great success with LUCAS PRODUCTS.

They say to run a FULL Synthetic oil with a STRAIGHT Viscosity like 30 or 40 weight so the oil does not COKE, or cook and build up inside of it. Regularly changing the oil and cooling the Turbo's off before shut down will help dramatically. I change my oil more than enough on my Hot Rods. Probably every 500 Miles or so because those 500 miles are like 5000!! I use to change my Long Travel Buggy oil after 1 Weekend Trip to the sand dunes along with the Gear Oil in the Trans. The trans lasted me 5 seasons before it needed a rebuild and the engine ran like it was new always. I truly ABUSED that car no BS.

Louis try running thoil feed lines so they loop and trap oil in them. A check valve might be a good idea too.

That is good to know.

I have had great success with LUCAS PRODUCTS.

They say to run a FULL Synthetic oil with a STRAIGHT Viscosity like 30 or 40 weight so the oil does not COKE, or cook and build up inside of it. Regularly changing the oil and cooling the Turbo's off before shut down will help dramatically. I change my oil more than enough on my Hot Rods. Probably every 500 Miles or so because those 500 miles are like 5000!! I use to change my Long Travel Buggy oil after 1 Weekend Trip to the sand dunes along with the Gear Oil in the Trans. The trans lasted me 5 seasons before it needed a rebuild and the engine ran like it was new always. I truly ABUSED that car no BS.

Yeah me too!
I use Lucas in the rear diff.. Also use it in the 833 with 8 ounces of Zmax.

Your going to have a moment of Awesomeness ones you get all the pipes welded and everything mounted and are able to step back and just look at how cool it is.

And then the tuning fun begins.

Looking pretty sweet!

Your going to have a moment of Awesomeness ones you get all the pipes welded and everything mounted and are able to step back and just look at how cool it is.

And then the tuning fun begins.

Looking pretty sweet!

Thanks, I cant wait for the day!

MOTOR UPDATE.......................

I visited Brian today "the machinist-ou812, IMM Engines" and picked up my upgraded heads ready for the Solid Roller Cam. The Scat FORGED crank came in also. The pistons should be here in about 3 weeks or so. They are Forged Diamonds with tool steel pins and we will be using a GFX ringset. He already has the 4340 H Beam Rods in his possession that are made by FALCON and have arp 7/16 hardware in them. So we are waiting for the pistons and then the block will get machined for everything.

IMO with turbo bearing structures as large as what you are dealing with I would not run a restrictor.....the sleeve bearings are the restrictors themselves...just run your #4 or 3 line straight to the turbo and all will be good...you have a great drain setup so no problems there...if the turbos smoke then you have bigger problems.

No new pics of mine yet but motor and trans are in...lots of little things hooked up todqay.....about 2 more days worth of work and she will be alive Saturday!

WTF...no pics in 3 days!?!?!

Yeah I know!

I was waiting for my home brewed 5" Exhaust tip material to get here.....I have it so I will continue on. I am going to OVAL some 5" Pipe and Dump the exhaust with no mufflers right behind the Front tires. I will eventually be running the exhaust out the back of the car, but that can happen after the Engine is done at the DYNO!!!

When I get that all set I can cut in the Wastegate exhaust. I want to make sure everything is at the right angles and not hitting anything before I cut it in the wrong place an have to start over!!

I am also waiting on silicone parts, clamps, 2" Stainless V band rings and clamps. etc, etc, etc Almost done................

man now it looks like ill be doing twins. and your picks are great help in the ideas department.

I am pretty sure I will be running the same turbo(single) as turbocuda has. As soon as the financing shows up it will be ordered. I do appreciate all the info. provided by you guys!! It has been rough trying to figure out what to use but finally can see some light. Be sure to check out this site before you buy a blow-thru carb.. You have the skills to do this yourself from what I see!!
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

I also have a new MSD 6AL that I plan on using with the addition of the boost retarder from JEGS. Should work for what I am doing.

I have been waiting for parts to continue on...

I did end up making the drivers side exhaust dump today. What a PITA, I had to step it all up from 3.5" to 5" Home Brewed Oval. It was a pretty long project. I put all the Round pieces in the vice and started the process of making them oval. I had to massage most of the parts with Equalizer tools if you know what I mean. Once the 5" Pipe was close I put it on the gound and KICKED THE SHITTTTT out of it..........haaaaaaaa No Joke! It came out pretty darn oval!

I still need to adjust it a bit but I think it will look ok when the car is on the ground. It will disappear and you will only see a little bit of the tip when I am done with it........I may VHT paint them, we will see.

View attachment IMG_2358.jpg

View attachment IMG_2359.jpg

View attachment IMG_2361.jpg

View attachment IMG_2362.jpg

View attachment IMG_2363.jpg

View attachment IMG_2364.jpg

View attachment IMG_2372.jpg

View attachment IMG_2375.jpg

View attachment IMG_2376.jpg

View attachment IMG_2379.jpg

I don't think you'll be sneaking up on anyone with that exhaust.

Turbo motors are actually pretty darn quiet.

I am going to post one of Tim's Dart with at 88mm Single Turbo and the exhaust is dumped right next to the oil pan thru the K member, no muffler really short run of open exhaust pipe.

Found a few, here they are.............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-qTA4dQP8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Tims Dart 0002[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-uTTLcSuQ&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Tim Skardoutos's 1971 Turbo Dart Swinger Dyno#1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhHpslEdcw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Tim Skardoutos's 1971 Turbo Dart Swinger Dyno#2[/ame]

Dang, Im scratching my bald head just trying to tie in a new #3 tube on my header to clear the steering box! Sounds like you got it under control.

Tim's Dart is sweet. I wouldn't exactly call it quiet, though. Don't really agree with doing test runs down a main street either, but then again, I guess I've done it too.

-
Back