What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Wear a couple of layers and you'll be fine. If your near Roseville? Stop and warm up. I have a heater in the garage & Whiskey. :)
I grabbed a blanket and some gloves out of the plow truck and did ok

The duster didn't fare as well
I made it about 20 out before I decided to turn around
The transmission kept downshifting on me
(First 15 miles were backroads, so never got up to cruising speed there)
Once I hit the highway things just got iffy

The car turns about 2500 rpm at 70 in 3rd, but it just kept slipping down into 2rd, and then it felt like it was in neutral

So, i decided to grab a burger and head home

I grabbed a blanket and some gloves out of the plow truck and did ok

The duster didn't fare as well
I made it about 20 out before I decided to turn around
The transmission kept downshifting on me
(First 15 miles were backroads, so never got up to cruising speed there)
Once I hit the highway things just got iffy

The car turns about 2500 rpm at 70 in 3rd, but it just kept slipping down into 2rd, and then it felt like it was in neutral

So, i decided to grab a burger and head home
You gave it a honest try.

Did a compression test today and all cylinders were between 125 and 140 except number 6 which was only 60. Tried to put some oil in the cylinder and retest but couldn't get my oil can in there. Will try again tomorrow. I thought b bodies were supposed to be easier to work on. I think my big block a body was easier.

Put a drinking straw in the oil can. Hold your finger over the tip. Then release it when you get to cylinder #6.

Yes, or a small piece of hose on the end might do it, I ran out of patience today

Actually working on installing rear trim panels under the quarter windows tonight. They are Legendary brand. So would you be drinking at this stage? I'm so close. Lol

View attachment 1715643042

Oh I actually dont drink that often, but if I wanted a beer during any stage I'd probably have 1 or 2. My car is far from perfect, even with a week of sanding without drinking my parts still aren't perfect lol. I didnt work on the parts the past 3days as I was studying for my licensing exam that I took today at 12 though.

I'm going to polish tape, and hopefully paint tomorrow... if it's not to cold I can do it all while I'm smoking the brisket.

Edit- what kind of car cover is that? I need one lol.

20201205_183026.jpg

20201205_183014.jpg

20201205_182954.jpg

Been there. Done that. But on a 72 Grille which is plastic. Go slow. You will get it to look nice. :)

20160810_213137.jpg

20160817_203536.jpg

20160810_213150.jpg

20160917_200900.jpg

I probably have 20 hrs into that one part in the photo. Near perfect takes time. You have the whole month of December to finish it. Get back to work. Lol

I probably have 20 hrs into that one part in the photo. Near perfect takes time. You have the whole month of December to finish it. Get back to work. Lol

I live in vegas... this is the perfect time to be driving my car. My ac vents also blow hot air quite well... :p

I hate it when my wife asks me why I got such a small piece of meat....

On the plus side... I taped a little bit today... the easiest way to do this is just lay the tape and use an exacto knife to cut off the excess... I want to hopefully get this back on today so I can drive the car at some point... heck by the time I get it back together I'll be able to afford a stroker kit... I need a spare 340 block to stroke... :lol:

I also scuffed up the tail panel and cleaned it... the brake fluid got under the tape and made it peel up so I'm going to have to retape the hardest parts... :BangHead:

20201206_122350.jpg

20201206_122539.jpg

20201206_122648.jpg

I hate it when my wife asks me why I got such a small piece of meat....

On the plus side... I taped a little bit today... the easiest way to do this is just lay the tape and use an exacto knife to cut off the excess... I want to hopefully get this back on today so I can drive the car at some point... heck by the time I get it back together I'll be able to afford a stroker kit... I need a spare 340 block to stroke... :lol:

I also scuffed up the tail panel and cleaned it... the brake fluid got under the tape and made it peel up so I'm going to have to retape the hardest parts... :BangHead:

View attachment 1715643759

View attachment 1715643760

View attachment 1715643761
You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about your package size. Maybe if your Wife buffed it? Wait! I'm getting off topic again. Lol

Taping for 30 minutes or so; off and on all day long and here is the final product so far. I just have to cut the tape around the turn lights and then I can spray the primer.

I'll finish all the taping tonight when the family goes to bed... still debating between the blacks though...

20201206_161731.jpg

Look at it this way... you have to take the head off anyway, whether or not it's the rings or the valves. :rolleyes:
Could be a ring/piston/bore leak so big that a squirt of oil didn't fill it, although I hope not! :eek:
Hope it's just a sticking valve or something relatively simple.

Got my radiator and fan package assembled today. With 3" from the rad core to the water pump pulley bolts, I've been debating on several fan systems. This one ended up with about 1/8" clearance at the tightest spot when I mocked it up. I'll grind a little more clearance on 1 if the fan brace "ribs" when I get it back in the car. Have it now assembled together and mostly sealed up. Thx to members Goldduster318 and DrCharles for sharing their experience
20201207_001923.jpg
on these things!

I got bored with the thought of almost being able to drive it after dropping in the engine, so I decided to make gasoline piss out of the rear of the car. This is fun.

2608FCB9-6213-471E-BF7D-33ED8F420A6B.jpeg

-
Back