What would you build if limited to 372ci - with boost as an option

-
Oh, and Kiwi Sid gave me a nick name while out at WOS, and it carried on to all he introduced me to. And Marie has a name for the car.

Interesting. We can talk more about this. The only reason for this thread was to get that same engine under 372ci to lower the record from 246 to 224.
a 383 with one plug wire off is 335. Just saying. So you could theoretically build a 425 and go for both records. (425 with a wire pulled is 371.8). So you could stroke the 383 (easier to get parts) and get there another way.

3.75 crank and a stock bore is 425cu in

Edited to add;
That actually puts you over the 372 limit. It’s 372.391. But hopefully triggers thoughts on different ways to get there.

3.75 crank and a stock bore is 425cu in

Edited to add;
That actually puts you over the 372 limit. It’s 372.391. But hopefully triggers thoughts on different ways to get there.
Well, the limit is 372.99 so technically it would work but barely

Please tell me about the class and what is the current record?
Well the class is B/CGALT = b engine size (373-439.99)/ classic gas altered. This is for rookie and shakedown runs. Then add boost.

B/CGALT - 254.100 mph

Add boost

B/CBGALT - 243.015mph

C/CBGALT - 224.331mph this is the smaller engine displacement (306-372.99) and the reason for this discussion.

Kinda my thoughts. The big block has more head bolts for more boost, or how big of a deal is that honestly. I wouldn't think more than 18psi or so. This would be 5 miles of trying to get up to speed. Sustained high speed, high boost, high rpm for the measured mile from 4-5. Would be ideal. Honestly @TT5.9mag latest build would be perfect for power and displacement.

Remember,,,the old Hemi’s only had 10 head bolts too .
And they ran very well and carried a lot of boost every pass .

Tommy

What kind of hp are you looking for
As mentioned in post #65

Thank you Sir. An honest 700hp should get me to my personal goal. Then likely need to have 1,000-1,100hp for chasing an actual record in <372ci class. Can't have too much. Jerry has the 8553 Daytona which has aero advantage over me with C500 trim, but with 950hp at the crank, he has gone 239mph. There is a Cyclone Spoiler that runs there also (closer to my aero) and 600hp got him to 193mph. In the <372ci class, record is 224mph with boost. in the 373-439.99ci it increases to 246mph.

Big block vs small block only
My vote goes to the small block.
I think it's easier to add cubic inches vs subtract cubic inches.
Only other thing i guess would be the 361 b because you can get a few more pounds that may help the car stay on the salt.

Looking at building a 2.0 motor. Very expensive to build. Stock blocks are only good for 700 - 750 hp. When you get pressurized it just isn’t going to work. I believe you’re just wasting money trying this with a stock block. I’d recommend saving up some more money and getting a used nascar engine to start with. I have over 55 years at this stuff and I’d love to see you do your best. A lot of these can be purchased with all accessories and clutch and bell housing. Hope whatever way you go you have fun.

The class is a classic category. No EFI, no controllers, etc
That certainly eliminates "Exotic" Normally for a 372 cube I would look at a 340 stroker. But that's for best bang for Mopar dollar in a street build. Where low end torque is more desirable.

If money is less of an issue? And a classic Mopar block design is the goal? I too would be looking at a de-stroked 400 block. If I had better trust in Bill Mitchell's 4.5" bore "Bulldog" 9.98" platform. I believe that block platform has more shaving down options to a specific C.I. goal and high HP/RPM build.

As you can see? I'm totally spitballing here. Just thinking outloud.

IF I was technically savvy.....
I'd build a 5.7 hemi with a 6.4 steel crank and a .010 overbore, for 360 inches . Then add the best heads I could find, along with an upgraded hellcat blower or twin turbos.
The guys offering the kit I found (takeout steel 6.4 crank and mahle pistons ) say it's good for 1100hp.
But I really like the takeout Nascar 358 idea too!
And if I remember right, the prostock truck engines were 358 tpp.

Last edited:
IF I was technically savvy.....
I'd build a 5.7 hemi with a 6.4 steel crank and a .010 overbore, for 360 inches . Then add the best heads I could find, along with an upgraded hellcat blower or twin turbos.
The guys offering the kit I found (takeout steel 6.4 crank and mahle pistons ) say it's good for 1100hp.
But I really like the takeout Nascar 358 idea too!
Definitely cant use the Hellcat blower. Can't run EFI.

Just build a 600 plus cube big block and cheat. Screw it. You only live once.

Stock blocks are only good for 700 - 750 hp. When you get pressurized it just isn’t going to work
Please expand on this. Have you personally destroyed an engine at 751hp due to a block failure?

Just build a 600 plus cube big block and cheat. Screw it. You only live once.
It wouldn't be cheating, just moves you to AA engine class. Then record is 246 for unblown or 255 for blown

The shorter the deck height the easier it is to make horsepower. If only needing 372" I would just buy an older used NASCAR engine and play with it.

Tom

True but the R/S ratio is still too high.

I was giving examples of how I’d build it. And that’s the math that comes out.

Which BTW is pretty close to the deck heights in Pro Stock. IIRC they are in the 9.200 range with about a 3.6xx stroke.

Most Pro Stock engines built today are in the 8.800" deck height and run a rod length around 5.900"

Tom

Last edited:
-
Back