what's your thuts ?????????????

-

godfatherofchry

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
would like to know your thoughts on CAST IRON skillets???I love sum of mine the ones MADE IN THE USA but getting ready to use the jap ones for trgete pracktes the wilf hates them but loves the food that I fix out of them.she says there too heavy wa I tell her that's why she has two hands..and you know how that went over!but she likes how easy they clean,DA,I guess that's why i'm the chief cook and bottle washer now among other things haha!!anyways just picking brains......thanks Artie

I always have preferred cooking in them. The food cooks more evenly so therefore it is easier to control. Just have to make sure you season them before ever using them.

Jack

I've got a cast iron skillet that I inherited from my grandmother when she passed in 1990.

I don't know where she got it, but I believe it to be over 100 years old, and there is a good chance it was already over 100 when I got it.

That and a 1954 dictionary are all I have from her, but they are the best things.

Eating and thinking...

YES sir,I will agree 100% but I have two jap one I can't get cured to save my *** I have done everything I know or anyone else I even gave it to an old timer for a yr. and he brought it back and said they were the first ones in his 70yrs of breathing that he couldn't cure...I was going to drill a hole in them and make a wall clock out of them.but I don't want that jap crap hanging on my wall.hell it would more than likely fall down and break someone's toe hell I can't even give them away......

I wouldent use china ones for sure never know what there melting down

Great topic Artie! I love cooking with cast iron skillets.

They are the best for a fish fry!

YUMMY!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 214
YES sir,I will agree 100% but I have two jap one I can't get cured to save my *** I have done everything I know or anyone else I even gave it to an old timer for a yr. and he brought it back and said they were the first ones in his 70yrs of breathing that he couldn't cure...I was going to drill a hole in them and make a wall clock out of them.but I don't want that jap crap hanging on my wall.hell it would more than likely fall down and break someone's toe hell I can't even give them away......

Scrap metal prices are up :lol:

I have some. They are great. Can't get my wife to use them. Guess she likes scrubbing forever.

They are heavy for most ladies. The new Lodge ones still Made In USA are ok for cornbread but the handle is too stubby and they don't come with a lid. I finally learned the correct way to season it. Clean with mild soap and water and a brush (never steel wool), dry, heat gently on the stovetop, wipe with vegetable shortening, (not cooking spray) then put in a in 350 deg oven for an hour, leaving it in to cool after you shut the oven off.

Some have longer, curved handles that make the heavy skillets easier to use.

I'm looking for one with a longer handle and a lid.

I think they are like a charcoal grill, they give the food that certain flavor. Can't beat them IMO.

I have a complete set of vintage USA cast iron skillets that we use regularly. I like the older ones because it seems to me that the cooking surface was finished better and seems to be smoother than the newer ones. I also think that it's coool to use something that's over 100 years old on a daily basis. I'm going to compile a set for my daughter for when she takes up housekeeping.

I have a complete set of vintage USA cast iron skillets that we use regularly. I like the older ones because it seems to me that the cooking surface was finished better and seems to be smoother than the newer ones. I also think that it's coool to use something that's over 100 years old on a daily basis. I'm going to compile a set for my daughter for when she takes up housekeeping.
you are in a good area to get them..I should get you to find the ones Im looking for?...Artie

The wife's grandparents cooked on cast iron that had been handed down through the generations. You could always tell when dinner was almost ready when you heard one of them banging a heavy steel spoon on the rim of the pot. They both lived into their late 90's. By the time they had both passed away all of the pots looked like skillets!

Cast iron's the best! That's what I grew up with both at home and camping on summer vacations. Fresh-caught trout cooked over an open fire in cast iron! Mmmmmmm!
We've got 4 different sizes of older USA-made skillets and a newer ribbed square top-of-stove griddle that are used almost daily. I've also used the ribbed griddle under the broiler burner with success.
I sparingly use soap on cast iron, preferring just very hot water in most cases, wipe it dry with paper towels, put it over a flame on our gas stove for a few seconds to build up enough heat to finish drying and then let it air cool before putting away.
Cooks evenly and tastes great! Nothing like fried chicken or fish in cast iron.
Our kids are grown and prefer cooking with cast iron as well.
Not "stylish" but it sure works great - and "stylish" doesn't taste near as good.

..............I've been told by a top chef that to only cook 1 kind of food in a cis, like if u use it for burgers only use it for burhers, same for chicken or fish.........any thoughts on this...my cis have been used for everything.....kim....

Cook anything and everything in cast iron unless you are boiling something like pasta. The cast iron you are trying to season, put in your oven and run a self clean or throw it in a woodstove, afterwords scrub it with soap and water, dry it on the stove, oil it and heat it almost to smoking, let cool, scrub with steel wool and hot water, heat till dry, oil lightly, heat in oven. I have never had this fail, new/ old, american/ imported, clean when starting,/ or 1/4" inch deep in crud. Woodstove works best. Check if your "China cast iron" is cast steel instead, that would be harder to season well.

Cook anything and everything in cast iron unless you are boiling something like pasta. The cast iron you are trying to season, put in your oven and run a self clean or throw it in a woodstove, afterwords scrub it with soap and water, dry it on the stove, oil it and heat it almost to smoking, let cool, scrub with steel wool and hot water, heat till dry, oil lightly, heat in oven. I have never had this fail, new/ old, american/ imported, clean when starting,/ or 1/4" inch deep in crud. Woodstove works best. Check if your "China cast iron" is cast steel instead, that would be harder to season well.
yes sir all that an then sum I mit be on to something this go around stuck it in the glass beder and going to start over just one more time!!!! if no worky it will have a MT.sene painted in it and a clock made out of it!!!!!!!:cheers:

If my wife gives her 2 skillets up that came from my grandmother I am going to miss her.

There is nothing in this world that tastes better than fried potatoes cooked in bacon grease in a iron skillet!

-
Back