why do you guy's like a turbo vs a centrif Supcharger?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
So many people build turbo cars vs centrifigul supercharger cars on this forum? I have no preference for either one. Only because I have not driven either.
Why the preference for turbo's???

I have read countless articles and i am familiar with how they both operate. The Centrifigul Supercharger is somewhat simular to the turbo--More boost with RPM and comes on around 3000RPM

I'm guessing it doesn't use any hp to spool them up...just a lot of plumbing.

Theres no way it's free power, just costs extra to plumb.
The supercharger use's very little HP.

Humor me. (In which your really not.)

A new turbo for a 360 costs?

If your talking procharger-belt driven turbine via a gear set,here's my take.

The procharger setup is more money and seems to put a load on the crank snout. Takes a LOT to shear the nose off a mopar crank,but it seems to happen.

I like turbo's better,seem almost limitless in adding insane amounts of h.p.As long as your pistons can handle it..

What is the cheapest centrifugal supercharger available?
Plenty of guys running cheap ebay turbos and plumbing them for cheap....
I thing the man reason people are going turbo is cheaper and part of hot rodding,,,building your own....
Maybe after you finish your project you may have spend more than some super chargers but it maybe a pay as you go project as opposed to projects on hold till I can afford a super=charger.....
Making your headers...would be cool,with a lot of satisfaction that you did it yourself....Unless you are looking for a turbo kit mopar specific then it is the same or more than a super-charger....
HAVE FUN MAKE IT YOURSELF...GO TURBO!!!!!!!!!!

If your talking procharger-belt driven turbine via a gear set,here's my take.

The procharger setup is more money and seems to put a load on the crank snout. Takes a LOT to shear the nose off a mopar crank,but it seems to happen.

I like turbo's better,seem almost limitless in adding insane amounts of h.p.As long as your pistons can handle it..

Paxtons SC are around $2900 for a kit , Prochargers set-ups are crazy expensive...NUTS
Centrifiguls have some what limited boost and role on with higher RPM's unlike a crank key snapping Roots
Maybe the turbo's have more boost potential?

I thing the man reason people are going turbo is cheaper and part of hot rodding,,,building your own....
Maybe after you finish your project you may have spend more than some super chargers but it maybe a pay as you go project as opposed to projects on hold till I can afford a super=charger.....
Making your headers...would be cool,with a lot of satisfaction that you did it yourself....Unless you are looking for a turbo kit mopar specific then it is the same or more than a super-charger....

From what I have read a Turbo makes good sense on a stock engine and there is more than one way to build the turbo on the cheap.

Those chinese turbos are $450-500,and would work with a 360.
Quality issues? (They allways seem to crop up)
How about an American turbo? A name a person that knows nothing can trust.

Cheapest centrif. charger? IDK.

I have a huge HUGE issue with running a "Cheap E-bay turbo" and/or used." It's just not gonna happen. How do I know that turbo is good? OK, brand new outta the box doesn't guarentte anything, however, it would be a gamble I'd go with.

Doing things yourself, making things yourself is a great feeling and a wonderful thing to pound your chest on with pride, NO DOUBT! However, I'm also going by the stand point of a person unable to do much of that if any at all.

If you do not own a welder, or it's something you just can not do...... Then paying a welder is in your future. And theres nothing wrong with that. It's just money, LOL! Not that I'm saying you have to weld all the turbo pipes ... Do you have to? I don't think so.

Do you need a intercooler?

Could someone do both or an I retarded?

It's called twin-charged, been happening for quite sometime, extremely expensive however. Not really aware of any kits available for it, meaning it requires some very pricey complex 1off parts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd4XA8czlks"]Twin-Charged Ogura Clutch Fairlady-Z / 350Z (Z33) - YouTube[/ame]

Could someone do both or an I retarded?
You could but whats the point of two sources of boost....You just cramming more air into your motor to allow more fuel to attach to it and have a more expolsive mixture.Just like nitrous,it is not flammable it just really cold allowing a denser mixture of air and allowing more fuel to attach to it.....
Now A turbo with a nitrous (dental grade) plumbed to the drivers helmet and that would be a ride.....:burnout::burnout::burnout:
TXDart

I didn't make my headers but I made everything else, probably should have just built them also. It is not cheap when you add up the cost of the parts and then your time. But like you said you get the satisfaction of looking at it as you are building it and you can change it up as you go.

A Supercharger is a big expense upfront. Building a Turbo'd engine yourself you can spread the cost out over time which works well for most do it yourselves guys.

You could but whats the point of two sources of boost....You just cramming more air into your motor to allow more fuel to attach to it and have a more expolsive mixture.Just like nitrous,it is not flammable it just really cold allowing a denser mixture of air and allowing more fuel to attach to it.....
Now A turbo with a nitrous (dental grade) plumbed to the drivers helmet and that would be a ride.....:burnout::burnout::burnout:
TXDart

I have seen it done on a Dune Buggy Application Twin Screw Drive Whipple Chargers and Twin Turbo's....... It was a start it up, idle it around show boat. The guy never drove it hard at all but it sure was Shiny!

LOL @ TXDart!!!

Gotta run to work fella's, thanks for the Q&A.

TXDart

The idea behind it is to have the turbo start kicking as the supercharger is tapering off, giving a motor the best of both worlds, in theory. The actual application of getting them to work together on the other hand I don't know i've never had the opportunity to talk with someone that's actually done it.

Quality issues? (They allways seem to crop up)
How about an American turbo? A name a person that knows nothing can trust.

Cheapest centrif. charger? IDK.

I have a huge HUGE issue with running a "Cheap E-bay turbo" and/or used." It's just not gonna happen. How do I know that turbo is good? OK, brand new outta the box doesn't guarentte anything, however, it would be a gamble I'd go with.

Doing things yourself, making things yourself is a great feeling and a wonderful thing to pound your chest on with pride, NO DOUBT! However, I'm also going by the stand point of a person unable to do much of that if any at all.

If you do not own a welder, or it's something you just can not do...... Then paying a welder is in your future. And theres nothing wrong with that. It's just money, LOL! Not that I'm saying you have to weld all the turbo pipes ... Do you have to? I don't think so.

Do you need a intercooler?
Correct all your piping,hoses and clamps can be purchased separately or purchased in kit form for the stang and chebbies ... and be customized to your application....
How about destruction derby headers to cut up to make your header setup ,even a welder would not charge much compared too custom made ones.....
Intercooler is not necessary but it does contribute to HP....
Carb spacer contributes to n/a motor but not necessary.
Do not have too use cheap ebay turbos,plenty in the salvage yards and I would personally prefer one turbo over twins for simplicity sake.....
Just like anything,you could start at simple (which I would really like to do) or go crazy...intercooler water meth spray,electronic advance computer ......How about a simple not too low boost system just for for some extra power...
Good night all,
TXDart

Correct all your piping,hoses and clamps can be purchased separately or purchased in kit form for the stang and chebbies ... and be customized to your application....
How about destruction derby headers to cut up to make your header setup ,even a welder would not charge much compared too custom made ones.....
Intercooler is not necessary but it does contribute to HP....
Carb spacer contributes to n/a motor but not necessary.
Do not have too use cheap ebay turbos,plenty in the salvage yards and I would personally prefer one turbo over twins for simplicity sake.....
Just like anything,you could start at simple (which I would really like to do) or go crazy...intercooler water meth spray,electronic advance computer ......How about a simple not too low boost system just for for some extra power...
Good night all,
TXDart

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

$200 bucks...its the plumbing thatll kill you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T70-...ccessories&hash=item2a10e2ad1c#ht_4048wt_1162

Want American, How about a big Holset Off a Cummins out of a junk yard? (although I thinkthey are Brit?)

Superchargers, they take 50-100HP to run them depending on boost level, they are belt and gear driven so they make noise, there are many moving parts in a gear driven supercharger, and they all produce drag, its not very EZ to manipulate boost levels unless you change pulley sizes, Belt drive supercharger have gear change lag, ie when you drop RPM's, the boost level goes down proportionally to the RPM drop. A Turbo has more of a buffer (stored pressure) especially in automatic cars, less lag (not to be confused to its own shortfall, turbo lag, which can actually be beneficial in wheel spin control) When you are not using them, they are still running. Throw a belt, dent your hood...

Whats a paxton cost?

-
Back