1965 Dodge Dart Charger (?)

-
Will it drive this weekend?? Maybe.. got the driveshaft in with my “helper”.

E030236B-50CF-44DD-AA0C-EC00E8A69574.jpeg

480B7326-F5B8-426C-AC2E-88BE4A04028C.jpeg

Got an early start on the weekend. The dart took its first trip around the block. Open manifolds and all! …need to get exhaust done ASAP.

Got a quick rinse in, too.

92CF7751-FDE9-4A76-B4E2-417DE075C2E9.jpeg

892CDDFE-A261-4BB5-A9C3-6058BE2974C5.jpeg

I have to say Congratulations to you and your first ride. You have done a great deal in the two years you've been at it. Great job to you and your helpers. Happy Easter and many more successes.

Cold outside in the rain (for California), but the dart is getting exhaust tomorrow.

I have a set of 2 1/4 Xlerator Performance mufflers for duals. Or a 3” thrush turbo welded something or other for a single. I’ll probably go dual, but the option is there.

IMG_1952.jpeg

Did a little bit of cruising on Friday, and got it back home today. About a 10 minute drive between destinations. Happily rolls at 65. I’d say happier than the slant six with the overdrive.

Now that I have exhaust, I’ll spend some time tuning it up.

It’s also grinding going into second gear—whether from first or third. Gotta figure that out.

Some details on transmission:

-1965 A833
-Stock shifter
-Shift pad and linkage from the previous overdrive setup (could use some adjustment, but decent overall)
- New 1-2 steel shift fork (I’m 90% sure it was the 1-2 fork. One fork was missing when I got the trans. Probably a bad sign)
- New z bar, Clutch fork, rebuilt clutch, and new throw out bearing.

Know issues beyond the 1-2 grind are:
- a slight leak between bellhousing and main case (doesn’t make it inside bellhousing though), and a slight leak between the tail and main case.
- slight squeal when driving and letting off the clutch. Doesn’t occur when not moving.
- could tighten up clutch freeplay

At the VERY least I need to adjust clutch freeplay, and double check/top off fluid.

Last edited:
I know the original 3 speed manual used ATF , but I don’t remember if the 833 o.d. Trans used ATF .
I do know if you put gear oil in the 3 speed it caused it to not want to shift.

I haven’t had a chance to try a different fluid, but I did confirm that level was okay. I adjusted the clutch a little bit; feels better overall.

I did find that if I shift very softly that there is usually no grinding. Like no gas, just letting the clutch out soft. I bet @66fs is right.

Could I have missed something when putting in the shift fork, or when I put the side cover back on?

Quick update. Working on rebuilding a spare transmission to replace the one currently in the car. Having fun. Taking it slow. Will probably have the spare transmission back together this week. I’m thinking I’ll wait to put the new one in for when I do some front end work. May be a while, but that’s okay.

On a positive/fun note, I had a friend fabricate a speedometer plug for the 65 transmission. I couldn’t find a plug anywhere on the interweb. Came out pretty clean.

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3532.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg

no speedometer?
Mine has never functioned. It’s chewed through at least two speedometer cables. I just use a GPS speedometer. I’ll fix it some day.

With the later a833 I used to have in there, the cables were cheaper. I don’t want to risk chewing up a $150 speedometer cable until I actually figure out what’s going on.

You know now that you mention it, I look at the speed on my GPS screen as often as I do the speedo these days...

Transmission has been rebuilt for a while now. Just psyching myself up to do the swap. Decided to build a little transmission jack adapter thing for my jack. Maybe a distraction? Either way. Should help the process.

IMG_3747.jpeg

CAF90361-916E-4E25-85B6-600A105D1C31.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

-
Back