71 Dart get 408/ Trick Flow Heads....

-
wont have the cam out of the car until next week....took one photo with phone...will post later....but this thing is trashed....
we are working on getting one of the spares back in the car before we tear down this to see that damage...

wont have the cam out of the car until next week....took one photo with phone...will post later....but this thing is trashed....
we are working on getting one of the spares back in the car before we tear down this to see that damage...
How long was that cam up and running before calling it a day??

20 minute break in time....drove it into trailer...drove it out of trailer...never made it down the track on full power....took valve cover off....could see how loose the lash was....figured cam was gone.....

we are drawing straws in the morning....lol

actually the one that came out before this one went in....372 cu in...SM heads....ran a best of 10.46 in Bakersfield last October.....has MP590 cam..so i am safe....

as you can see ...one lifter has chunks of metal missing from it....those are Howards EDM lifters

I think every lobe is shot.....

20210319_151529.jpg

Price one out.........

yeah i know having a flat tappet go flat is not cheap...

and it is only happening with one brand of camshafts.....i have taken the damage hughes cam out...cleaned everything up...installed a old MP solid lifter cam...and having no problems...

Yeah I know the price is a killer but the time and effort pulling the engine and redoing everything twice over ...

Once i get this apart and see if there is any other damage...we will make a call......and get a price on it.....

Other problem is the car with flat tappet should run low low 10s in Bakersfield (sea level)
...we dont want to go any faster....

I all ready have a flat tappet cam and lifters for it....

Almost looks like too much end float in the cam, with lifter hitting adjacent lobe.
Has end float been checked?

Yeowza!!
That is ugly.
I’ve never seen a lifter broken up like that........ that didn’t come out of a blown up motor.
30B003A5-5F9D-4FED-BD03-DE464873378E.png

You really should think about sticking your toe into the roller pool with one of those builds.
The water is fine!!

I've seen that a couple of times,never that bad...fast rate lobes and no inner spring,the stuff I see is chipping on 70% of the lifter edges and many unhappy lobes.The engines always have to come out.
That I have never seen before.:eek:

I have stayed away from those fast rate lobes for that reason.
Lots of combo’s dont even need/ benefit from them according to a certain cam guru i know

I've ran two Hughes cams and both made good power, but IMO neither held up very well. If I ever run another non roller cam it won't have fast rate ramps.

In the past two years..I want to say I have had 4 Hughes cams go flat....One engine after cleaning up the mess I put a MP 571 oval cam in the engine ...Engine is running fine...

I got another engine on the stand with a hughes 6064 cam....fresh ....probably going to pull it out...and if Howards is grinding these.....I got an Howard cam in a 410 on the engine stand that now scares me...

Well...heading to the garage to get this one out of the car....and drop in the other...

It’s more expensive to “convert” from a flat to a roller, since you’re buying everything twice.
But if you’re building from scratch, the only real added expense to get into a roller set up is the difference in price between the cam & lifters, and the distributor gear.

A billet cam, some roller lifters, and a bronze gear will cost $1000-1100.

The springs & pushrods will cost about the same between the FT and roller.

I’m talking about parts that are suitable for typical basic bracket race builds........ not guys trying to turn 8500 and make 2hp/ci.

as you can see ...one lifter has chunks of metal missing from it....those are Howards EDM lifters

I think every lobe is shot.....

View attachment 1715710580
This scares me a bit, I lost my first cam this last summer in my buddy's 340. We purposely went with a lunati/ultradyne sft .842 lobe custom grind since we knew it was a street machine and didn't need an aggressive lobe.

The cam had maybe a few hours run time and was completely trashed, one lifter even had the bottom completely gone. We had all sorts of ideas but no answers but since we had decided to set aside that build and start on his stroker x block we just moved on. The one thing we have in common after reading this thread is we both used howards edm lifters.

That said I am making no accusations but seeing how our cams have similar carnage/low run time/same lifters it requires some looking into. I think we have one decent lifter to possibly check out and maybe the cam as well. Hopefully you will be able to check yours as well, It would be nice to compare our findings, I will post pics later.

I have stayed away from those fast rate lobes for that reason.
Lots of combo’s dont even need/ benefit from them according to a certain cam guru i know
I too have last minute decided to pass on the fast rate cams myself. Got one I’ll be passing on to a braver soul soon. Talked with Schneider Racing Cams and they hooked me up with something that ought to do nicely for what I’m doing. Not fast, not slow, just right!

Last edited:
I'd like to hear what Hughes has to say, they are a vendor on this site.
I used 2 Hughes solids in the late 90's early 2000 and didn't have a problem. I believe Engle was grinding them at that time
What say's Hughes ?

-
Back