74 power wagon dream truck...

-
Again after I washed I got a nice thin coat of flash rust which will actually help that two in one capsular adhere...
I took a camera shot down the rocker panels which are pretty Rusty inside as I figured they would be. There's a window up at the front to look down in them. I was trying to gather some ideas and how to get that rust encapsular in there..
I know spraying it in there just isn't going to make the coverage that I want.. I was poking around Ace hardware this morning trying to get an idea and came across this dust one for like $12. I was thinking of something lightly fanned that I could twist around in there with a lot of paint on it.. probably using the gun to paint the dust wand and shoot a bunch inside there and use the one to move it around...
IMG_20210628_104759.jpg
IMG_20210628_104823.jpg
IMG_20210628_103249.jpg

Good luck, but I think the one side of the rocker is terminal. I can't see how you could treat the back side and edges.

Good luck, but I think the one side of the rocker is terminal. I can't see how you could treat the back side and edges.
Luckily the part that's terminal as you're calling it and I agree is right there at the opening so I should be able to give the spray gun a good blast in that area and get behind it even if I have to flood it..

Okay I think I have about 90% of my patches made. I used my car trailer as my bending jig LOL... I cut patches for the firewall over the heater the electrical outlet and the clutch area. I also cut the two little pieces at the end of The rocker panels out front... I'll have some shaping of the patches once they go down..
So the plan is tonight after it cools down a bit to get all this good and washed up with some Dawn soap and water..
I'll probably drill some small holes in the panels so I can hang them for that two-part encapsular primer. I'm just going to do the face down side and also the face up side of the areas that I'm going to cover. That way when there's metal on metal there's some kind of protective coating on the inside. Then once I weld it all together I'll spray all of the top of everything...
IMG_20210629_105701.jpg
IMG_20210629_110735.jpg
IMG_20210629_111658.jpg
IMG_20210629_113001.jpg
IMG_20210629_112948.jpg
IMG_20210629_122236.jpg
IMG_20210629_133354.jpg
IMG_20210629_133406.jpg
IMG_20210629_133431.jpg

Just askin.....why not cut the rockers apart and repair it?

Just askin.....why not cut the rockers apart and repair it?
I'm going to get all of the top side stuff welded in first.. I need to burn that rhino liner stuff that's on the rocker panels now off... When I flipped the cab up I'll weld all of the top side stuff from the bottom as well.. at that point I will probably cut some inspection Windows into the rockers and make a decision exactly how I'm going to tackle those.. if I get aftermarket rockers I got to get two sets..
They only make them for single cabs...

I got carried away... I was just supposed to prepare for paint.. I went ahead and painted the area's that are going to be covered with patch panels and the down side of the patch panels..
IMG_20210629_210612.jpg
IMG_20210629_210649.jpg
IMG_20210629_210632.jpg
IMG_20210629_210622.jpg
IMG_20210629_210642.jpg
IMG_20210629_210637.jpg

I have a friend's short bed step side here I'm doing some engine work on.....and now he wants me to start body work on it when I'm done with the engine. I've told him I ain't a body man, but he doesn't trust anybody else. He's like a brother to me, so I'm gonna do it. It also needs inner and outer rockers...among other things, so it's gonna be a learning experience.

I have a friend's short bed step side here I'm doing some engine work on.....and now he wants me to start body work on it when I'm done with the engine. I've told him I ain't a body man, but he doesn't trust anybody else. He's like a brother to me, so I'm gonna do it. It also needs inner and outer rockers...among other things, so it's gonna be a learning experience.
Regular cab rockers are $20-40 each..
Club cab I'll have to get a third one to chop up to get the extra 18" on each side..

I want to share something I learned about rocker panel replacement. Maybe everyone else knows already but don't replace more than you have to. The first side I did by removing the entire thing at the spot welds. What a huge amount of work. The second one I just cut out the bad part from the old rocker and made a patch from the replacement rocker I bought. It took a 10th of the time and it is a better repair. Good thing I already bought another truck to work on after I am done with my son's truck. It would be a shame to learn all this just to forget it again!

Cley

I want to share something I learned about rocker panel replacement. Maybe everyone else knows already but don't replace more than you have to. The first side I did by removing the entire thing at the spot welds. What a huge amount of work. The second one I just cut out the bad part from the old rocker and made a patch from the replacement rocker I bought. It took a 10th of the time and it is a better repair. Good thing I already bought another truck to work on after I am done with my son's truck. It would be a shame to learn all this just to forget it again!

Cley

Thank you for the advice!...
I only have one really bad exterior spot that's about 6 inches.. that's why I've been talking about using that rust and capsular on the inside to stop it from trying to come out. But someone has put some kind of rhino liner stuff on the outside which is probably obviously to cover up any bad body work. I'll have to heat that up and scrape it off and see what I have left. I'm agreeing with you I don't really want to take off the entire rocker panel. I may cut some holes on the back side where I can look in and possibly put more rest encapsular and then just patch the inside area that's not seen..
Right now I'm going to work on that firewall and those floors and get those all patched up and then when I go to the bottom to weld the floors from the bottom I'm going to get into those rocker panels...

I wish I had finished off my rocker repairs while the cab was laying on it's back. Way easier than laying on my back trying to weld it in! Of course molten **** falling all over you doesn't help either!

Cley

Again after I washed I got a nice thin coat of flash rust which will actually help that two in one capsular adhere...
I took a camera shot down the rocker panels which are pretty Rusty inside as I figured they would be. There's a window up at the front to look down in them. I was trying to gather some ideas and how to get that rust encapsular in there..
I know spraying it in there just isn't going to make the coverage that I want.. I was poking around Ace hardware this morning trying to get an idea and came across this dust one for like $12. I was thinking of something lightly fanned that I could twist around in there with a lot of paint on it.. probably using the gun to paint the dust wand and shoot a bunch inside there and use the one to move it around...
View attachment 1715757599 View attachment 1715757600 View attachment 1715757602

Toilet brushes also work great for cleaning axle tubes on rear end housings.

Toilet brushes also work great for cleaning axle tubes on rear end housings.
Yes I like going to the Dollar tree and using some toilet brushes I'm even thinking some kind of like dishwashing wand but also be on the rockers I need it for the cowl as well.. also the inside of the doors..

Cley

Yeah, I've been lookin at a lot of Eastwood youtube videos and that's exactly how they say to do it. Also, they say don't cut anything out until you have the replacement parts so you can see everywhere the attachment points are. Makes sense.

I got some more progress today. I was able to tack in all the floor stuff... I started with the firewall and messed that up as I put the panels on backwards with the red facing me when I should have had the red fishing the red... I can't seem to win sometimes LOL.. I still have plenty of other areas to take care of but they're smaller and a little more detailed...
Anyways it was nice getting this bigger stuff all tacked in... It's just really a first tack... I need to go around the patches a couple more times.. then flip it up on it's back and do the same on the bottom..
IMG_20210630_110419.jpg
IMG_20210630_110428.jpg
IMG_20210630_142253.jpg
IMG_20210630_142304.jpg
IMG_20210630_142314.jpg

I got some more progress today. I was able to tack in all the floor stuff... I started with the firewall and messed that up as I put the panels on backwards with the red facing me when I should have had the red fishing the red... I can't seem to win sometimes LOL.. I still have plenty of other areas to take care of but they're smaller and a little more detailed...
Anyways it was nice getting this bigger stuff all tacked in... It's just really a first tack... I need to go around the patches a couple more times.. then flip it up on it's back and do the same on the bottom..
View attachment 1715758684 View attachment 1715758685 View attachment 1715758686 View attachment 1715758687 View attachment 1715758688

The way I'm seein it is you're overlapping the floor pans, right? Nice job.

The way I'm seein it is you're overlapping the floor pans, right? Nice job.
Yes the first set I did on my son's Power Wagon made them perfect patches and cutting welded all the way around. Second set I did I cut out most of it but overlapped it by a couple inches and tacked it and then seemed sealed it and that was so much faster...
This one I sealer primered around the edges first and then overlapping and tacking them in on the top like I've shown. again going to go around them several more times tacking them at least every inch on the top. And this is the first time I've had a cab on a jig where I can go around tacking the bottom on as opposed to laying on the ground trying to do it upside down... Everything is tacked 1 inch on both sides I will put the two part and capsular primer on let that dry for a couple days then I'll go around both the top and the bottom side with a seam sealer and let that dry for a couple days and then I'll do an epoxy paint on both sides...

^^^ouch the first voice command on that one was chopped up but I have it partially edited now LOL>>>

I finished welding or I should say tacking on my floorboard patches. Both front and back side....
I opened up more cans of worms though.. I took a torch to the rocker panels to get that what looked like rhino liner off. It came off no problem but on the driver side it revealed some pretty thick Bondo...lol.. I have a set of rocker panels in my Summit cart... Again I'll see how they fit as therefore a regular cab. On the good side the club cab area of the rocker panels are pretty good. The driver side is great but the passenger side has had work done to it but it's not that bad.
Also I cut inspection holes on the sides of the cowl's.. there's some cancer in that area that I want to fix proper as well...
IMG_20210702_120734.jpg
IMG_20210702_090159.jpg
IMG_20210702_091137.jpg
IMG_20210702_095149.jpg
IMG_20210702_120710.jpg
IMG_20210702_115315.jpg

Also out of the three tunnels that I have this one's the best. They don't repop them so you got to use what you can get. It has a little rot on the passenger side so I didn't cut all the floorboard patch out on that side so I can fold it up unbolted on..
IMG_20210702_095224.jpg
IMG_20210702_095215.jpg

-
Back