8.8 swap

-
I dont know of the top of my head what the flange to flange is. The wheel mount to wheel mount is 56 3/4. The backspacing on the slicks is 4 1/4. I'll try to measure the flange to flange. Do you want inside to inside flanges. That measurement is kinda useless so I never measured it.

thats what I was after, wheel to wheel, Ive got an axle that I had for another project but If it is that simple......

Was wondering how you like the swap after a few month of use? Did you get the body roll issue fixed? I was aslo wondering what master cylinder you used, power or manual, and how the brakes feel?
Thanks. Rick

I'm real happy with the swap still. I added an overload spring to the spring pack to stiffin things up. It seems to work well. I'm using the stock power master cylinder. Eventually I want to upgrade to something a little more modern, but for now the car stops awesome! I've also been really impressed with the factory "limited-slip" unit in the 8.8. It works awesome as well.

so after you have narrowed it it is 56 3/4, is that still wider than the factory diff?

I have bought 2 of these diffs and one thing that also worries me a little is that the extra short side axle that you use will be turning in the opposite direction so wouldnt that weaken and stress that axle? its not going to stop me doing the conversion but i was just wondering about getting a brand new axle instead of using a used one

I know this thread is a few months old, but any issues so far. I am getting prepared to do the same swap. Did you use the spring/shock mounts from the explorer? or did you oval the holes on the originals? Did you figure out the E-Brake?

I know this thread is a few months old, but any issues so far. I am getting prepared to do the same swap. Did you use the spring/shock mounts from the explorer? or did you oval the holes on the originals? Did you figure out the E-Brake?

I used the explorer shock mounts. The lower shock mount isn't ideal but it works. Im using the ebrake cable from the explorer connected to the rearend spliced to the original cables.

I love the rear end still!

That's cool. I am picking mine up tomorrow, I wil make sure to get the e-brake cables and the mounts then. Thanks again for all the info.

That's cool. I am picking mine up tomorrow, I wil make sure to get the e-brake cables and the mounts then. Thanks again for all the info.

One more thing, When you make the cut on the axle tube, go in further then I did by at least 1/4" to 1/2". It will make it much easier to center/square up the end when you weld it back on. I did it right at the edge where it tapers down, it would have been okay but the saw took off just a touch to much. It made the end slightly smaller then the tube your welding it back to, making it hard to center. It turned out ok for me but it might make life easier to do it this way! :grin:

View attachment cut2.jpg

View attachment cut1.jpg

View attachment axle1.jpg

I am thinking of leaving it at stock length and using 05-11 mustang 10" wide wheels, which has around 7.27" backspacing

I am thinking of leaving it at stock length and using 05-11 mustang 10" wide wheels, which has around 7.27" backspacing

The center section is offset to one side by about 2 inches, if I remember correct, (been a while since my 8.8 was cut). So I would be worried that that offset may cause the driveshaft to rub on one side of the tunnel or be really close. I dont know if that would happen for sure, but I would check it out before I bought wheels

A stock mopar rear is offset to the same size 1 3/8" so a little bit more should not too bad. They do not rub when the pinion is centered. I will double check it though. I just pulled the 8.8 from the 99 explorer this morning (in the snow/rain mixture). I got the spring/shock mounts, the E-brake cables, driveshaft, swaybar, and complete rear with discs and calipers. I just home about an hour ago, I plan to clean it up and go through it a little to make sure it is all good. Even had brand new rear brakes, as the explorer was on the road for 11 days when their kid rolled it in November.

A stock mopar rear is offset to the same size 1 3/8" so a little bit more should not too bad. They do not rub when the pinion is centered. I will double check it though. I just pulled the 8.8 from the 99 explorer this morning (in the snow/rain mixture). I got the spring/shock mounts, the E-brake cables, driveshaft, swaybar, and complete rear with discs and calipers. I just home about an hour ago, I plan to clean it up and go through it a little to make sure it is all good. Even had brand new rear brakes, as the explorer was on the road for 11 days when their kid rolled it in November.

Sounds just like the exploder I got my rearend out of! Good luck :burnout:

Feel free to post picture's here or let us know if you start a new thread

I think that we are talking about different offsets, I am referring to one of the axle tubes is approx 2 inches longer than the other, on mopars the axle tubes are the same length.

Ok, question, I'm thinking about doing this swap for my dart as the 7 1/4 is on its way out. What is the lowest numerical ratio available in a posi-track on one of these rearends?

I think that we are talking about different offsets, I am referring to one of the axle tubes is approx 2 inches longer than the other, on mopars the axle tubes are the same length.

We are talking the same, just different. Ford makes one side longer than the other to give it an offset, so does stock mopar car Dana 60. And you are right, an 8 3/4 has same length axle shafts, but a 1 3/8" offset is built into the center section.

stock 8.8's range from 2.00....yes, 2.00 to 4.56's.....maybe not in a exploder/ranger but fairmonts/fox body stuff it does. My uncles 80 V8/auto Fairmont futura has 2.45s and his 85 Capri has 2.70-somethings in it...also V8/automatic car

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've been wondering this stuff and never got around to asking, plus you guys seem to know what your doing.

So it sounds like I want to go with a ranger rear end because I have 2.76's right now and its hard enough to stand that on the interstate (2500 rpm at 70 mph). Really I was hoping for something like 3.23's or even something close to the current 2.76's. So tell me this, would a Ranger rear fit under my Dart? What years should I be looking for?

Just out of curiosity, whats the lowest numerical ratio you can get in a non LSD Exploder rear? Cause I could just go buy an air locker...

**correction** ok I've just read that the lowest ratio available is a 3.08. I can live with that...

In an Exploder rear, non limited slip, you can go with 3.08's

You could also go ranger 7.5 rear with a limited slip 3.45 gears. It is same width as a stock A-body

i left my explorer rear stock width, the offset is funky, but its not close enough to rub anything. depending on how your exhaust is run, you should be fine. i could see why some people wouldnt liekt he offset, but the width was perfect for what i wanted to do.

So it sounds like I want to go with a ranger rear end because I have 2.76's right now and its hard enough to stand that on the interstate (2500 rpm at 70 mph). Really I was hoping for something like 3.23's or even something close to the current 2.76's. So tell me this, would a Ranger rear fit under my Dart? What years should I be looking for?

Matt my father-in-law bought a 64 Rambler that someone had installed a 95 Ranger 8.8 rearend into and I measured it and it's a perfect fit for an A-body. I don't know how many yrs. they were the same width because I don't know Rangers but for sure a 95 will work.

i left my explorer rear stock width, the offset is funky, but its not close enough to rub anything. depending on how your exhaust is run, you should be fine. i could see why some people wouldnt liekt he offset, but the width was perfect for what i wanted to do.

James, The rear is at 59.5" wide in your Dart? What wheel width and back spacing you running? Do you have any pics of the quarter panel lip clearance?
I am looking at 17x10's with 7.27" backsapcing with the Exploder 59.5" stock width rear. I was hoping this combination would fit, any thoughts?

-
Back