8.8 swap

-
So I need to look for an exploder rear, non-LSD with a 3.08 ratio. I know I'll need spring perches, a driver's side axle, an adjustable proportioning valve and a metering valve for the rear circuit. I'll also have to get a new MC as mine most likely has an integral residual pressure check valve in it, which means I'll need an inline residual pressure check valve for the front circuit.

Now, how did you splice the parking brake cables together?

Bumping this thread for any updates or any more info. I am leaning this way for my `68. This is almost too cheap for all the upgrades, not to! I have a question...The explore seems to be the common one, but what about the mustang? If I read correctly it's third is centered. Any idea on how wide?

Great build. I am hooked. Screw the 8 3/4 just because guys around SoCal what 750 for a take out? Ouch!

Thanks

The problem with a mustang rear is, if it is 93 or older you have a 4 lug bolt pattern and would have to converted to 5 lug. But regardless is too wide for a Dart (may work on duster with a lot of BS on the wheels), and both sides will require cutting. And yes, on a mustang rear, the pinion is centered (which does not hurt anything).
An Explorer rear is 59.5" wide, about the same width as a 65-67 B-Body. This will work in a Duster, but the longer side will have to be cut (and use an extra short side axle) for a Dart, then you get about stock width A-body rear.

I got my rear out of a 99 Exploder, it has 31 spline axles, 4.10 gears, limited slip, disc brakes, a sway bar, spring/shock mounting plates, and the driveshaft for $150. How can you turn that down??

And just for kicks, I picked this up for $64:
Diff-8.8_medium.jpg

I am going to run Bullets wheels, so would the explore still needed to be cut down? I think I read somewhere that with the bullet wheels the early B body rear end was about the right width.

it works on a duster but might be a little wide for a dart.

Just have to measure to be sure. The 65-67 B-body rear in my Valiant (59.25"?) is just about right with the 95 Cobra wheels I'm using (5.7" BS). A little bit wider rear would allow some of the newer BIG offset wheels that are out there.

Clair

i have followed this posting very closely and have bought a explorer rear and a leave spring relocation and plan on running welds with 4.5 backspacing. i have a 74 scamp and was wondering if everything should work just the same way! thanks again guys

i have followed this posting very closely and have bought a explorer rear and a leave spring relocation and plan on running welds with 4.5 backspacing. i have a 74 scamp and was wondering if everything should work just the same way! thanks again guys

How wide of Weld wheels?

Hi guys,I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything like that.:angel11: If I haden't gotten such a good deal on this unit I would be going this way also. So I thought I had to share my good fortune with some pics. The 8.8's look very wicked :happy11: Keep up the greaqt work on those mods I have learned a lot from people here.:usa2::usa2:

Attachments

• 8 34 001 (Small).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,333
  • 8 34 002 (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,308
  • 8 34 003 (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,255
  • 8 34 004 (Small).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,236
  • 8 34 005 (Small).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,209
  • 8 34 006 (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,185
  • 8 34 007 (Small).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,219
Awesome thread. Great work. I do wanna clarify one thing. Somewhere back there you were talkin about only 4.0 Rangers havin the 8.8. Mine is a 2004 Ranger Edge with the 3.0 and it came with a 4.10 8.8. So that gives you more choices to choose from!

Would a 8.8 from a '98 Cobra be a good fit?
I'm trying to find the width of it....but does anybody know?

I have always heard that the Ford 8.8's were junk from fellow destruction derby drivers. I personally have blown up two of them in the derby arena that were under 80's Ford Crown Vic's. The spider gears were welded in both of these and the heat from welding could have made the gears brittle and subject to failure though. Most guys say swap for a 9". Maybe the ones from the Exploders and Rangers are stronger.

I am interested in the cheap price and disc brakes you get with this swap. It's still gonna be about the same as putting a B body 8 3/4 in.

I have always heard that the Ford 8.8's were junk from fellow destruction derby drivers. I personally have blown up two of them in the derby arena that were under 80's Ford Crown Vic's. The spider gears were welded in both of these and the heat from welding could have made the gears brittle and subject to failure though. Most guys say swap for a 9". Maybe the ones from the Exploders and Rangers are stronger.

I am interested in the cheap price and disc brakes you get with this swap. It's still gonna be about the same as putting a B body 8 3/4 in.

A derby is an incredible stress on a rear end, even more after it has been welded. Most of us won't be shifting from drive to reverse at 3000 rpms, while getting hit from the side. I have broke an 8 3/4 rear in a derby and had welded 7 1/4's and 8 1/4's last through multiple heats (never broke one). No offense, but your comparing apples to oranges here.

it might cost the same as putting a b body 8 3/4 in, but you will have a posi and a decent gear ratio in the 8.8
i started with an 8 1/4 went to a b body 8 3/4 for the width, and took that out for the explorer 8.8 just because i didnt want to spend the cash on a posi and gears, plus it has discs. so far so good behind a mild BB and t56.

I am trying to find new axle for my duster.

Found one explorer rear axle.... 700€:wack:
well i live in Finland so good axle is hard to find even 8 1/4

only thing that are wery common are ford rangers 1990 and later, plenty on them.

So is anyone used ford ranger rear axle 8.8 in a-body. Can i use them whitout cutting axle and what is offset and widht of these axles?

I dont mind that axle is little weaker than explorers.

thanks for the info.

will have to continue looking for on of these 8.8 axles.
I brobably have to use ford ranger axle beacuse explorers are quite rare in here

-
Back