Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
John, I'm sorry to bust up your thread like this. :pale:

ssba, it doesn't sound like the ones you have are the same as mine. If you feel like posting a pic, you're welcome to do so in my build thread. Maybe that way I can stay friends with John. :)

Oh, that they could have been from a Shelby car never occurred to me. And no, I don't think that. They're Shelby brand slot mags and whether they are in any way connected with Carrol Shelby, I don't know.

I just like the snake. :D

If I understood the gist of the conversation on that other thread, I'd say that it may be unlikely that your wheels came off of a Shelby - but not impossible. It sounds as though they were used on '71 & '72 Shelby Europa editions that were shipped overseas.

mump_0505_11_z-14_shelby_europa_mustangs_euro_european_mustang-rear_green_exterior_view-jpg.jpg

se_1f02m202546web-jpg.jpg

The center caps seem to be chrome on the pics I've seen.

View attachment mump_0505_11_z+14_shelby_europa_mustangs_euro_european_mustang+rear_green_exterior_view.jpg

View attachment SE_1F02M202546web.jpg

Last edited:
Guys I have a set of 15" Shelby cal 500 slots. I always figured they were aftermarket since
the fronts are 3 1/2" and the backs are 11" wide. Mine have the 5 ear caps that are held on with screws. Probably from the late 60s or early 70s?
Let me know if you want a picture of the shelby caps or something I could dig them out.

With those widths I'd assume they were sold aftermarket. It sounds as though the center caps are a different design. According to the photo Anders posted, his push in instead of bolting on. I Googled images of Cal 500 Shelby wheels on saw a few different variations.

Last edited:
Yep,they're loud....

I know I was warned about them being loud but I wasn't expecting them to be as loud as they are. When you live in a community where law enforcement is keying on performance cars - it's almost a certainty you'll get pulled over.

I don't want to silence the 'Cuda but I need to cut the decibel level in half.

Last edited:
John, I'm sorry to bust up your thread like this. :pale:

ssba, it doesn't sound like the ones you have are the same as mine. If you feel like posting a pic, you're welcome to do so in my build thread. Maybe that way I can stay friends with John. :)

No apology necessary. You know how much this thread has rambled on about several differing topics anyway.

ssba's wheels might be made differently than yours but I love the sizes he's got. The narrow & wide ones are usually harder to find.

It'd be hard to ever get mad at you Anders. - Maybe if you were reaching for the last beer in the fridge... - As far as being friends with me - I wouldn't put that on a resume if I were you. :evil3:

Last edited:
The driveway's full once again. The car trailer needed maintenance. Besides repacking wheel bearings, replacing the end of the wiring pigtail and adding an additional ground for the hydraulic pump - I figured it was time to install the electric winch I'd gotten for Christmas.

img_6724-jpg.jpg

I had to hang by the phone waiting for a call back from Star Lite Motorsports. They're the shop that's been working on the Roadrunner. They'd called this morning and were having problems figuring out the interface with the hand held display. I guess I'm surprised they weren't able to zip right through the tuning without calling. Maybe I'm not such an idiot after all. Despite waiting all day, I never did get the call back. - Not sure why. Either the information I passed on was sufficient or they've decided to do the rest of it on their own. :scratch:

We'd discussed mounting options for the winch and had originally wanted to install it beneath the trailer deck. Doing so would have kept it out of our way when strapping the vehicles down and my son had found online a nifty example of one done that way that we were going to copy.

11-jpg.jpg

1111-jpg.jpg

11111-jpg.jpg

111111-jpg.jpg

Unfortunately we had to decide against that option after taking some measurements. The winch we had was 11" tall (quite a bit bigger than the one we'd viewed) so the box we would have had to make would have been almost a foot below the deck surface. The trailer is often towed to places with speed bumps, dips, and other obstacles that were likely to cause problems with clearance.

The aluminum box on the front of the trailer houses the hydraulic pump, trailer battery, and tie-down straps. Although we could have fit the winch inside - it wasn't structurally strong enough to withstand the winch's pulling power without major re-engineering. It would also have limited our ability to access the battery and pump when we needed to.

img_6720-jpg.jpg

img_6722-jpg.jpg

We opted to keep it simple and bolted it down to the front of the deck.

img_6718-jpg.jpg

At first we thought we might construct a cover made from aluminum deck plate to match the front of the trailer but dismissed that idea after realizing it would be more difficult to keep the cable wound nicely if we couldn't see it. Instead we're just going to order one of the pre-made vinyl covers that are made for it.

846-2302305-jpg.jpg

The way the trailer was originally set up, the trailer battery charge was supposed to be maintained through the 7 prong trailer connector. I couldn't get a large enough cable inside it to properly handle the duty so I'm going to run a pair of 2 gauge cables from the truck's battery back through a separate 2 prong connector.

71e5lkisfol-_sy355_-jpg.jpg

View attachment 11.jpg

View attachment 1111.jpg

View attachment 11111.jpg

View attachment 111111.jpg

View attachment IMG_6724.jpg

View attachment IMG_6720.jpg

View attachment IMG_6722.jpg

View attachment IMG_6718.jpg

View attachment 71e5lkIsFOL._SY355_.jpg

View attachment 846-2302305.jpg

Last edited:
I know it seems awfully early in the year to be thinking about Halloween but Teresa has been wanting a costume to wear that is less scary for the little kids that come around. - So for the past 6 months I've been looking online for a replacement for her. The other day I finally found one she liked.

s-l500-jpg.jpg

She also wanted me to do the whole costume thing myself. I guess she thought my natural appearance was too scary for the kids too. To match her theme I bought one of these.

s-l1601-jpg.jpg

- And to top it off I thought I'd attach one of these stuffed 'dogs' to one of the pant legs.

s-l1602-jpg.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out a way to include more car themed additions to our decorations but haven't come up with anything yet.

View attachment s-l500.jpg

View attachment s-l1601.jpg

View attachment s-l1602.jpg

Last edited:
If I understood the gist of the conversation on that other thread, I'd say that it may be unlikely that your wheels came off of a Shelby - but not impossible. It sounds as though they were used on '71 & '72 Shelby Europa editions that were shipped overseas.

The center caps seem to be chrome on the pics I've seen.

Hm. Chrome caps looks pretty ok too. My rims are only 14x6". Looks like those are a bit wider making it even less likely mine came of one of those.

I'd love to have wider rims but I'm pretty sure I won't have money for it in my budget for a long time.

Hm. Chrome caps looks pretty ok too. My rims are only 14x6". Looks like those are a bit wider making it even less likely mine came of one of those.

I'd love to have wider rims but I'm pretty sure I won't have money for it in my budget for a long time.
2015-10-10-14-54-39-jpg.jpg

I'm still watching for center caps. I would think that some generic ones that are the correct diameter would work well if they've got the recess for the emblem. I've seen some of the insignias advertised for sale on eBay but you'd have to be careful about the diameter of those too. I'd prefer the ones that are encapsulated in a domed clear plastic but most are simply decals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Shelby...685401?hash=item2ed8e9a119:g:910AAOSwRLZUGPOv

2-jpg.jpg

There have been some caps showing up for sale on eBay also. I'm not certain if the size is correct and I thought they were too pricey - especially considering the condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-She...ash=item41a0d1b743:g:xfsAAOSwA4dWLX0W&vxp=mtr

22-jpg.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WHE...ash=item1c5df0337f:g:vRAAAOSw7FRWZkzs&vxp=mtr

222-jpg.jpg

2222-jpg.jpg

View attachment 2015-10-10 14.54.39.jpg

View attachment 2.jpg

View attachment 22.jpg

View attachment 222.jpg

View attachment 2222.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get a discount for ordering off-season?

I'd told Teresa that I would keep looking until I found stuff she liked. We may have saved a bit by buying at this time of year. Last Fall there seemed to be bidding wars going on eBay that drove the costs up and we didn't want to pay too much.

Last edited:
Hey John, thanks for all the energy you're putting into this. It really isn't necessary. I just threw it out there when I read you were going to a swap meet.

In fact, I just got an idea. I think I'll get one of my friends who has a 3D printer to have a go at printing one out. If they hold together maybe I'll have some domed stickers made.

Who knows, maybe I can make a living selling these. I'm sure Shelby Corp. won't mind ...

Hey John, thanks for all the energy you're putting into this. It really isn't necessary. I just threw it out there when I read you were going to a swap meet.

In fact, I just got an idea. I think I'll get one of my friends who has a 3D printer to have a go at printing one out. If they hold together maybe I'll have some domed stickers made.

Who knows, maybe I can make a living selling these. I'm sure Shelby Corp. won't mind ...

Anders, it's really no problem doing a few quick searches. I'm always going back & forth to the internet to research a bunch of other stuff anyway.

I've been fascinated by the idea of using a 3D printer for making parts. I have no idea how difficult they would be to program. I assume it involves inputting vectors or coordinates but maybe they're simpler than I imagine. It would be ideal if you could have a 3D scanner that would simply allow you to save and copy. I've also wondered how well the plastics stand up over time.

If you ever do get your buddy to make you some parts try to post as much as you can about it.

I never worry about copying someone else's designs provided it's for my personal use.

Last edited:
Oh, crap. I wrote this long essay on 3D printing, vacuum injection molding and everything and then I accidentally lost it. :banghead:

Maybe I feel like doing it over tomorrow ...

With the right plastic, such as ABS, the 3D printed parts will hold up. You'll be painting or plating them anyways, which will really help the weather resistance. Just don't try to use the sugar-based "plastic" that is used in the el-cheapo printers.

Yes there are 3D scanners available, but nothing a hobbyist could afford.

The way you get the model is you create it with a CAD system, such as Unigraphics, Autodesk, MasterCam, etc... Obviously, there is quite a lot of training involved.

I 3D model jet engine parts where I work, been doing it off and on for 20 years. Still can't do a lot of things I'd like to do with it. Something like those caps are pretty easy to model, but the first thing you always need to do is measure every feature on them. Because without every dimension, there is no way to copy them.

Oh, crap. I wrote this long essay on 3D printing, vacuum injection molding and everything and then I accidentally lost it. :banghead:

Maybe I feel like doing it over tomorrow ...

With the right plastic, such as ABS, the 3D printed parts will hold up. You'll be painting or plating them anyways, which will really help the weather resistance. Just don't try to use the sugar-based "plastic" that is used in the el-cheapo printers.

Yes there are 3D scanners available, but nothing a hobbyist could afford.

The way you get the model is you create it with a CAD system, such as Unigraphics, Autodesk, MasterCam, etc... Obviously, there is quite a lot of training involved.

I 3D model jet engine parts where I work, been doing it off and on for 20 years. Still can't do a lot of things I'd like to do with it. Something like those caps are pretty easy to model, but the first thing you always need to do is measure every feature on them. Because without every dimension, there is no way to copy them.

A-HA!! So you guys ARE among the big brains here.

The thought of me trying to comprehend the complexities of accurately measuring anything that's not 2 dimensional gives me the willies. When I first heard that 3D printers were being marketed for home use I got pretty excited. - But after trying to find a guide for how to use them I had little luck. I've never learned how to use any CAD programs but I did buy one a long time ago (it was on 3.5" floppies). The program was not written well enough to teach someone like myself who was unfamiliar with the basics. I gave up and never tried to mess with CAD after that.

Unless we enter an age where STAR TREK technology replicators exist, I'll have to farm such work out to others.

Last edited:
After I hadn't gotten a call back on Wednesday, I decided to give the shop a ring to see what was happening with the Roadrunner. I was told they were still working on it but couldn't figure out the interface with the ECU. That worries me a bit. I realize it took us a few hours to get a handle on it but they've had a few days. We did call the tech support from FAST for advice but we're newbies to this stuff. These guys are supposed to be experts.

I hope we're not going to be charged an hourly rate while they school themselves. We chose them because they claimed to already know the FAST efi systems and were heavily into Mopars.

I finally got a call back from the shop working on the Roadrunner around 4:30 pm Friday. This time I was able to communicate with the guy that was actually working on the car.

I'm really confused now and not sure what's going on. He told me that he got the car to start easily and run fine but that he had no interface with the ECU where he could adjust the fuel & timing tables. He needed the injectors to pour in a lot more fuel when the engine accelerated under load. He kept saying that the 'Setup Wizard' was gone.

The original FAST EZ EFI 2.0 system we bought did have a Setup Wizard that you'd access through the hand held display screen. In it you would input engine size and other parameters and the system would apply a rough bunch of settings to get you on the road. Then it was supposed to 'learn' as you drove the car or you could go into the software and manually make adjustments to fine tune it yourself.

When we upgraded to the Sportsman edition, the Setup Wizard was no longer accessible. Instead we had to use a laptop to make adjustments. Our problem was that we didn't know enough about the fuel & timing tables to be comfortable doing it ourselves. That's why we outsourced the tuning.

After talking to the guy for quite awhile I realized they hadn't hooked a laptop to the ECU and didn't know it had the capability.They must have not gone through the literature we left with them.

When we dropped the car off I tried to go into as much detail as I could about where all the information was located. The problem is that I wasn't talking to the guy that was actually going to do the work and the guys I did tell weren't taking many notes.
Nonetheless, the guys doing the work were supposed to be experts with the FAST efi systems so I figured they'd know what was going on even without my input. I left my contact number in case they had any more questions.

Once it was established that our system did use a computer interface the next question he had was 'Where is the software?' It took me awhile to refresh my memory but I recalled that FAST had failed to send it to us. Instead they gave us a link to download it from after we'd called to complain. The tuner was skeptical. He said that normally the software is tied to the hardware with serial numbers. - I do know that was all that FAST had provided for us. We had downloaded and installed it on our laptop but didn't provide the shop with a copy - figuring that they would either already have it or be able to download it themselves. We had included the link we'd gotten from FAST with the literature we gave them.

What bothered me the most about the call was that the tuner told me that everything was set incorrectly. I was certain we'd gotten the rotor phasing correct. We double checked it and the timing light agreed with the computer readout. I was also told that we had the fuel pressure set at only 20 pounds pressure but I knew we had it set at 43. Both Spencer and myself had kept an eye on it inside the car and had verified that the computer readout matched the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment. According to the guy, we had the initial timing set at 10 degrees after TDC. That didn't match the reading our timing light had shown. I wasn't sure if the guy was stringing me along (with whatever reasons he could think of) to justify the amount of time they'd had the car. It also could be that one of the other guys in the shop had messed with our settings last week.

The one thing above all others that made me feel that something didn't sound right was being told about that fuel pressure. If I'm not mistaken, - I don't think those injectors will fire with the pressure that low. - And we had always monitored it - right up to the point when we drove the car into their shop.

I guess I may never know for certain what happened but at least it sounds as though things will probably start progressing now.

It just never ends, does it? Did you at least get a sense that this particular guy was experienced with Fast?

It just never ends, does it? Did you at least get a sense that this particular guy was experienced with Fast?

I did get the feeling that the guy was pretty smart and he did seem to know quite a bit about FAST systems as well as most other efi setups.

The confusion may have been due to the fact that we'd upgraded our system from the EZ 2.0 to the Sportsman edition. Either he hasn't touched one of these Sportsman editions before or no one had passed the information on to him that we'd replaced the ECU. Either way, he must have ignored the paperwork we left.

I've known some experts before that had a tendency to stretch the truth about things. This is the guy that will be figuring out the final bill for the work so I'm not going to risk upsetting him by inferring we think he might not be being straight with us. - And as I said before, someone else at the shop may have tinkered with the car before he got to it.

Last edited:
I did get the feeling that the guy was pretty smart and he did seem to know quite a bit about FAST systems as well as most other efi setups.

The confusion may have been due to the fact that we'd upgraded our system from the EZ 2.0 to the Sportsman edition. Either he hasn't touched one of these Sportsman editions before or no one had passed the information on to him that we'd replaced the ECU. Either way, he must have ignored the paperwork we left.

I've known some experts before that had a tendency to stretch the truth about things. This is the guy that will be figuring out the final bill for the work so I'm not going to risk upsetting him by inferring we think he might not be being straight with us. - And as I said before, someone else at the shop may have tinkered with the car before he got to it.

Did u ever have a problem w/ the 2.0 running too rich ? :poke:

Did u ever have a problem w/ the 2.0 running too rich ? :poke:

Hey Bob. I know that either the literature we'd gotten or one of the videos we watched on the 2.0 system said it would initially set the efi fat and then lean things out as it learned.

Most of the time that we had the original system working my son had the car in Des Moines so I'm not sure how much it dropped the amount of fuel over time. I do know that each time we rebooted the system it did start out very rich.

I got another call from the shop this morning. It wasn't from the guy working on the car but from the guy running the parts counter. They want me to bring my laptop in so they can use it. I wasn't given the reason why they needed my laptop instead of using their own. I assume they couldn't get the software. I suppose I should buy a thumb drive and put a copy of it on there for them. Then maybe I won't have to leave my laptop with them. I guess I'll take them both to be safe. Monday is the earliest I'll be able to get it to them.

Last edited:
I would get my car out of there right now. A moron knows that the injectors will not operate way below FP needed. They are blowing smoke up your ***, John!!! The guy thinks your a dumbass.

Sorry, typical bleed the customer dry routine..................... :protest::protest::protest:

I would get my car out of there right now. A moron knows that the injectors will not operate way below FP needed. They are blowing smoke up your ***, John!!! The guy thinks your a dumbass.

Sorry, typical bleed the customer dry routine..................... :protest::protest::protest:

The fuel pressure was the thing that really made me think something was fishy. I could have accepted the notion that we had other things set wrong even though I didn't think so. I wish now that I had marked the base of the distributor and the rotor so I could tell if they've been changed. All I'll have is his word on what he had to do to the car.

Part of me senses you're right about us getting played but I'm hoping we'll still get the car back finished without a ridiculous bill. Maybe the guy's legit and someone else at that shop had screwed with stuff before he got to it. Either way, it'll be Monday before I can do anything about it.

Last edited:
-
Back