Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I hate insomnia. Worrying about it just keeps me up at night.

I didn't fall asleep until around 4 a.m. I suppose I had a bit of anxiety over the trip to check on the Roadrunner. I got up around 9 in the morning and headed out after grabbing a cup of cocoa. The night before I'd already prepped everything I thought I might need to take with me. They wanted my laptop with the tuning program on it and had hinted that if everything went well they might finish the car today. - So I had serviced the trailer and decided to take it with me.

It's normally about a 2 hour drive to Grand Island from where I live but the rain was coming down pretty hard and I ran into a detour that took me an additional 45 minutes out of my way.

Arriving just before noon, I was still able to make contact with the guys working on the car. They weren't very talkative but I dropped the computer off to them and told the guy at the counter I was going to rest for a while out in the truck. If they had any questions, - I'd be available there. Other than needing to find the location the tuning files were located - they took over from there.

img_6725-jpg.jpg

After resting for a few hours I heard them drive the Roadrunner out of the garage when they took it for a test drive. 20 minutes later they still weren't back so I told the guys inside that I was going to run some errands.

I got back around 3 and went inside to check on progress. I had intentionally made myself scarce so they wouldn't get annoyed by having a customer looming over their shoulders but I'd really have liked to have watched the progress as it unfolded. Anyway, the news I got when I went inside wasn't good.

They weren't sure what was wrong. The ECU wasn't making the correct adjustments to match throttle position. It was running way too lean when they tried to accelerate and would sometimes backfire. Whenever they made an adjustment to fatten it up, - it'd run so rich that it smoked and was getting the plugs wet.

They suspected a faulty MAP sensor or O2 sensor. - Possibly both. They even considered the possibility that the ECU could have been at fault. One thing was for sure. The car wasn't coming home tonight.

I decided to run to Walmart to buy a thumb drive that I could transfer the program files onto. That way I wouldn't have to leave the laptop there. When I returned, they had found one problem. The relay that sends power to the O2 sensor's pre-heater apparently had gotten full of water and corroded inside. It's failure may have screwed up the O2 sensor but they weren't sure of that yet. The relay is in the portion of the efi wiring harness that's located in the engine bay. It's small and had no provision for mounting. We had simply left it dangle - not realizing it would be a potential source of problems.

At this point, I'm not sure how much longer they'll have the car there before it's done. If they have to order another O2 sensor & MAP sensor, it might take a week before they get the parts and install them. If they need to send in the ECU it could take a lot longer.

View attachment IMG_6725.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you just love car electronics?

Well, at least they found something that was broken. That is good. If the relay wasn't stuck in the ON position the O2 sensor ought to be ok. Constant pre-heating might have toasted it, though.

Don't you just love car electronics?

Well, at least they found something that was broken. That is good. If the relay wasn't stuck in the ON position the O2 sensor ought to be ok. Constant pre-heating might have toasted it, though.

I remember when solid state circuitry was first becoming commonly used in televisions and calculators. Everybody said it would be trouble free because there were no moving parts. LOL! I guess the relay that failed did have moving contacts in it but it was the easiest to diagnose. It's harder to find (visually see) defects in an electronic board or an ECU. - And they had to destroy the relay's outer shell to confirm it was bad. - Not like 'old school' relays that had exposed contacts or that were covered in clear plastic.

I was frustrated when they hadn't found the problem and wanted to start ordering parts to swap out. At least they were going about it by choosing which components were likely culprits. Finding the faulty relay was a relief. It may not be the only issue going on but at least it shows they're on the right track.

Last edited:
Years ago someone had vandalized the funnycar by slashing my Goodyear slicks. There was so much work left to do on it that I never bothered to replace them. Instead, it's been dragged to places on flats whenever it needed to be moved.

Yesterday I came across a used pair of slicks on Craigslist. The guy had listed them for $100 originally but got no takers. I guess there's not much of a market for 33.5X17X16s around here. Even though they're half way used up, I needed to put a set on the car if I was ever going to progress with chassis & the aluminum work. I offered him $40 for the pair and he took it. At least they're not weather checked or scarred. I know it's not a major step forward but at least it won't be holding me up now and maybe this baby will be rolling again soon.

00d0d_bztfokuacbo_600x450-jpg.jpg

View attachment 00d0d_bztfoKuaCBO_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I know I should be concentrating on other work I need to do but I got the itch to mess with the funnycar yesterday.

- Just a quick reminder about the car. It came with a weird chassis built by a shop in Lincoln, Nebraska. The previous owner had wanted to set the thing up as a 2-seater so the chassis guys made it wide. All of the welding was tig except for the 2 hoops that went over the passengers. My guess is that someone else (probably the previous owner) welded those in place. Not only were they poorly welded but they were too tall to accommodate the body.

I whacked them off yesterday and placed the shell over the frame. No provision had ever been made to mate the body hinges to the chassis yet so that will be one of my next steps. Once it's sitting all together I can scope out what modifications will be needed to create a proper cage.

It looks like I may have to mount those slicks I bought before I can figure out what height the body needs to be mounted. The front end is still unattached too so I'll have to fabricate a mount there also. The latch is still secured to the body but there isn't a correlating spot on the framework yet.

img_6726-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6726.jpg

Last edited:
Great score on the slicks!

Trouble shooting is trouble shooting. There are methods to isolate the fault. Depending on your experience and knowledge of the system at hand, you will be able to isolate the fault in greater detail. It's electrical -> it's not the ignition -> it's the fuel mix -> it's the pre-heat -> it's the relay.

Great score on the slicks!

Trouble shooting is trouble shooting. There are methods to isolate the fault. Depending on your experience and knowledge of the system at hand, you will be able to isolate the fault in greater detail. It's electrical -> it's not the ignition -> it's the fuel mix -> it's the pre-heat -> it's the relay.

The slicks I just bought are 1/2" shorter than the ones that were on the car already. I'm not planning on doing any serious competition with it when I get it done. I'll probably see if I can get it consistent enough for bracket racing and slow enough to meet regulations. That might be tricky with the low weight and a blown Hemi.

I don't expect a lot of progress on it this year but with any luck I'll have enough time to get the body & chassis finished. It won't be long and I'll have to start devoting my time to the house project again.

There are definitely some things I have to rely on others to troubleshoot. The efi system on the Roadrunner was one of them. I get panicky when an ECU is involved in controlling stuff like air/fuel mixtures or ignition timing. I'm not familiar enough with the tables to know if the computer is insane or if I am.

Before we took the car to Star Lite Motorsports we did try our hand at tuning. It struck us that whatever adjustments we tried to make, - the ECU seemed to be fighting us. - Almost as if it was doing the opposite of what we were telling it to do. After the 'experts' at the shop took it for a test drive after making some adjustments, - they said the exact same thing. That's when they started to suspect a faulty input or a bad ECU. As discouraged as I'd been trying to troubleshoot it myself, - it was a relief to hear that their interpretation wasn't much different than my own.

Last edited:
CRIPES!! Dismounting the old slicks was a real pain in the butt. I used a buddy's tire machine and it was barely capable of handling the width.

I've decided not to mount the replacement slicks until I have a chance to clean up the wheels. Hopefully, they'll polish up nice.

img_6728-jpg.jpg

At first I was going to install tubes because the wheels had been tubed before. - But when researching sizes I found that quite a few guys recommended going without. They said to coat the entire inside of the tires with DAWN dish soap a few times to seal the rubber and don't recommend screws either. I picked up a couple of bottles.

img_6729-jpg.jpg

I do know that I want to check into liners for the slicks though. Given how tall they are it could be a major catastrophe if one popped going down the strip at speed.

View attachment IMG_6728.jpg

View attachment IMG_6729.jpg

Last edited:
I may like the end results but I sure don't enjoy the process. I can see already that I need more buffing wheels and some more Mothers Metal Polish.

I still try to stretch every penny I can. That means that I often buy parts that need a lot of TLC. My end results may not quite be on par with the big boys but I do the best I can 'on the cheap'.

img_6731-jpg.jpg

img_6732-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_6731.jpg

View attachment IMG_6732.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and I hope you weren't given the impression that I was trying to impress you with my trouble shooting skills or anything.

Oh, and I hope you weren't given the impression that I was trying to impress you with my trouble shooting skills or anything.

I hadn't felt you were trying to be showy in any way, shape, or form. That having been said, I am impressed by folks that have skills that I don't possess. - Especially when those skills involve technology I'm interested in knowing more about. - And any advice is always welcome.

Last edited:
I was pretty discouraged by the software update. For the past 2 years I'd been using FABO as an online notebook for work done in my garage. I searched through my own thread often to track progress on projects or to find useful info that I hadn't recorder elsewhere. When the pictures disappeared it became really difficult to find stuff. - And it made me realize that I should have chosen a better place to chronicle events. (Of course, it's hard for me to search through other folk's threads too)

A few days ago I started copying all the posts and pictures into a WORD document file. At the rate it's going, - it will take me months to complete. I considered closing this thread but don't want to until I finish copying everything onto one of my home computers.

I've been hesitant to post any updates for fear that they won't appear as I want and because it will add to the amount I will have to copy later. - But here goes...

It's been almost a month since we took the Roadrunner to the shop in Grand Island to have the efi worked on. - It's still not done. The last update I got was that they did find a problem with one of the sensors inside the throttle body. That was 6 days ago.

I did finish rewiring the truck & trailer so that I won't have to constantly recharge the trailer battery. It was more critical now that the new winch is attached to the trailer. I also had an intermittent loss of lights on the trailer and found a broken off pin in one of the connections on the truck. I finally got around to installing the new brake controller on the truck. Now our tow rig is ready for whatever.

Work has continued on the funnycar. The wheels look pretty good with the polish job I did. I'd like to re-do them once more but I really needed to get the car rolling so I could get it out of the garage. The Charger needs to come back in so I can pull the K-frame out and send it back to Hemidenny to be modified for the coming Hemi.

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6738.JPG

After fabricating new body hinges and mounts I put some time into stripping off more of the remaining paint from the body. It's far from done but it's not as much of an eyesore anymore.

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

I don't know if these pictures will show up. They don't when I try to preview the post.

They sure did!

Those wheels don't look 'pretty good', they look fabulous! I don't know why you would call the job 'Polish'. :p

They sure did!

Those wheels don't look 'pretty good', they look fabulous! I don't know why you would call the job 'Polish'. :p

Anders, you crack me up!

It took me a few minutes before it dawned on me that you're in Sweden AND you're making Polish jokes! I always thought that was sort of a U.S. thing. Dang! - Them Polacks don't get respect anywhere. It makes me wonder who the people in Poland make jokes about. With my luck, it's probably about me.

Last edited:
That sure sits nice,John..

Thanks bomber.

With no existing body mounts I was able to position the body at any height I wanted. After researching old photos online I opted for this stance. There is so much more work to do with the car that I haven't had a chance to investigate head & roll cage clearance so I still may have to modify stuff if this doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Anders, you crack me up!

It took me a few minutes before it dawned on me that you're in Sweden AND you're making Polish jokes! I always thought that was sort of a U.S. thing. Dang! - Them Polacks don't get respect anywhere. It makes me wonder who the people in Poland make jokes about. With my luck, it's probably about me.
Actually, we don't. The Norwegians, our closest neighbor and former union partner, play that role in our little country. The fact that you guys do is fairly common knowledge over here due to frequent reference thereto in movies.

Awesome looking wheels! Glad to see you're still "here".

Thanks 69_340_GTS.

The wallet's gotten pretty thin so reconditioning old parts is about the only way I'll ever be able to finish the funny. My son's got deeper pockets so the Charger & Roadrunner will still see a healthy cash flow.

I am not opposed to the site changes but I maintain that it's had a devastating effect on old picture intensive threads. Without photos to view there aren't many of the past threads I feel like reading. I know most pictures can be seen by clicking links to them but it ends up taking a ton of effort if you do it as much as I do. I've stopped searching any of the old unread threads that I used to peruse. I think the loss of readily view-able pics has all but killed them off. Eventually enough new threads will take their place. I have still thought about dropping this thread and starting over.

Last edited:
Actually, we don't. The Norwegians, our closest neighbor and former union partner, play that role in our little country. The fact that you guys do is fairly common knowledge over here due to frequent reference thereto in movies.

So the Polish folk must be pretty pissed at us over here.

funny-pictures-auto-749906.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha ha, well, I wouldn't know. I only ever knew one polish guy and he is a violin player. He did tell me once about a polish wedding where the bride had Russian parent. There was drinking involved ...

I agree with you, clicking on links to open pics makes it unbearable to read old threads. I don't know what possibilities Joey has to run through the database and insert the old pics into the threads again. I'm hoping ha can work it out. He can't really be too happy about it himself.

-
Back