BORGESON steering box

-
A cooler may help if the noise is not as loud when cold.
Look at your boxes and see if the mounting brackets are welded on or cast as part of the housing. I am suspect the last generation welded on bracket style may be the culprit.

I tried mine cold today and could not hear a difference in volume cold vs. warmed-up but I will continue to keep an eye on it.

Here are a few photos, it's tough to get pictures of the mounts. Looks like mine are part of the casting, not welded on. Guess I should have taken pre-installation photos of the parts in case something like this came up.

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Is anyone that is getting the hissing sound using the Borgeson Mopar Steering Coupler part 036425? I heard from their support person (Josh), and he tells me that the sound is a result of NOT using their Mopar Steering Coupler "Because it (the BAC) doesn’t have a vibration reducer in the coupler like our 036425 does."

Not a great video, but this will give you an idea

Notice how the sound is most pronounced when the when is center, and becomes much quieter (but still there) when the wheel is turned in either direction. It sounds exactly like the air being let out of a tire.

Ugh. Hope I don’t have this issue with mine. In the next week though I should have it running. Mine has the welded mounting tabs. I have the power steering pump from Borgeson and the BCA coupler. Can’t see why that would cause that kind of noise. No way does that sound like a vibration. Sounds like Borgeson trying to sell more couplers.

I tried mine cold today and could not hear a difference in volume cold vs. warmed-up but I will continue to keep an eye on it.

Here are a few photos, it's tough to get pictures of the mounts. Looks like mine are part of the casting, not welded on. Guess I should have taken pre-installation photos of the parts in case something like this came up.

View attachment 1715313067
View attachment 1715313069

View attachment 1715313068

So that is a little of what the new cast housings look like.

Do you have pics of bottom area where theb3 bolts are?

Would like to see what the reinforcement webbing looks like now.

Ugh. Hope I don’t have this issue with mine. In the next week though I should have it running. Mine has the welded mounting tabs. I have the power steering pump from Borgeson and the BCA coupler. Can’t see why that would cause that kind of noise. No way does that sound like a vibration. Sounds like Borgeson trying to sell more couplers.

I totally agree, I don't understand how the coupler would be the source of this kind of noise. The only answer they'd give me is to use the Borgeson coupler, not a ton of help.

So that is a little of what the new cast housings look like.

Do you have pics of bottom area where theb3 bolts are?

Would like to see what the reinforcement webbing looks like now.

This is the only photo I have of that end - I can take better ones next weekend if you need anything specific.

2019-03-31 15.46.32.jpg

Just an update: I sent the video to Borgeson and they still believe it is the coupler:

"That is a known issue with the Bergman coupler. Definitely noise transfer through the column."

I'd hate to go through all of the trouble and expense of swapping out the coupler, but I'm not going to be able to live with this noise. I'll be watching this thread closely for additional info or suggestions...

Looking for a pic showing the K-member attachment tab and gussets... like this

upload_2019-4-1_18-0-10.jpeg

Looking for a pic showing the K-member attachment tab and gussets... like this

View attachment 1715313371
This is the style box that is on my car. I get the hissing also, but i don't think it's as loud as the posted video. I'm using the Chrysler style coupler that Bergmans makes so you don't have to cut the steering shaft. There's no isolation between the box, and the wheel. That's where I feel the sound comes from. I have a Borgeson box on my 65 Comet, and i get hissing from that setup also. I couldn't use an isolated coupling on that car, since there's not enough room between the box, and the firewall. I think if a rubber isolated coupling is used, it will lessen the noise. JMO.

Last edited:
I JUST picked up my car from the shop (68 Cuda 340) and the steering feels great, but I've got the same hissing issue as well. Sounds like it's coming right out of the steering column, but I can't hear it over the engine noise in the compartment when running. Were you able to figure out a solution?

Nope, along with everyone else there seems to be an issue with the sound going up the column. I do have the Bergman coupler but I feel it's the Borgeson boxes as my factory box never had a hissing sound and it didn't have a rag joint or some sort of dampening. Mine sounds just like the video that was posted, it's unacceptable that it's so loud.
Nates68

Last edited:
Well, guess I lucked out. Just finished up my install this morning. No hiss, nice and quiet, and dang it feels nice, no slop in the steering at all. Feel is nice and firm. Only had it on a short ride for a few minutes.
Need to get back to it in the morning and readjust my tow-in. Then take a longer test drive, but first impression is its a very nice upgrade.

Last edited:
Well, guess I lucked out. Just finished up my install this morning. No hiss, nice and quiet, and dang it feels nice, no slop in the steering at all. Feel is nice and firm. Only had it on a short ride for a few minutes.
Need to get back to it in the morning and readjust my tow-in. Then take a longer test drive, but first impression is its a very nice upgrade.

With all new front end parts and a performance alignment they steer great, no argument there.
Nates68

Ok I think I can officially say that I'm not to happy with my Borgeson box right now.

Overall feeling is decent, All the center slop is gone, which is what was bugging me most about my original box.
However the borgeson box has a problem with returning to center after a turn. I returns "some", but slowly, and not completely to center. The wheel will stop 15-20 from center, and the car will keep turning unless I crank it back to center myself. At higher speeds, say above 40, if you move the wheel slightly either direction, it stays there and doesn't come back to center.

My first move was to contact BAC where I purchased the box. The suggestion was that I needed more caster to make it self center.
So spent a few hours last Sunday redoing my alignment. Had 3 degrees caster when I first checked, but after adjustment I was able to get it to 6 degrees caster. (thanks to QA1 upper arms). Took the car for a drive, the problem still persists.
Two days ago, I sent an email to Borgeson and told them of my problem. Their response is below.

"You can try backing the adjustment screw off about a quarter turn on the top of the box. That may free it up just enough to cause the wheel to return to center. All the other specs you referenced on the alignment are fine."

So this morning I backed the adjustment off 1/4 turn, and took it for a drive, really not any better. Then just for grins I backed it off another 1/4 turn. No result, problem is still the same.

Not sure how to proceed. After spending nearly $900, all Ive managed to do is to trade the on-center slop and leaking of the original box, for a box that feel nice and tight and doesn't leak but wont return to center properly while driving.

so yours is at least quiet but doesn't return to center properly?

you think putting some miles on it would loosen it up some?

between the hissing others are saying their do and no this i'm glad i haven't pulled the trigger on one.

so yours is at least quiet but doesn't return to center properly?

you think putting some miles on it would loosen it up some?

between the hissing others are saying their do and no this i'm glad i haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Right, its quiet, and I'm hoping putting some miles on it will loosen things up, but with 6 degrees caster it should center on its own.

Todays response from Borgeson.

"Sounds like you are going to need to send in a proof of purchase so we can service the box if it is under 3 years old, You can call us to handle it a little faster if you want. 860-482-8283"

Right, the box is only 3 weeks old, and I have to pull it out, send it to them, and be without my car for ??? amount of time, so they can service a brand new box. And no doubt pay shipping both ways.

I haven't responded yet.
What would you do? pull it and send it out, or keep driving it for a while and see if things loosen up?

What would you do? pull it and send it out, or keep driving it for a while and see if things loosen up?

i'd be on the phone with them asking them what to do.. if they say drive it then drive it as long as they will take it back if its still screwed up.

Todays response from Borgeson.

"Sounds like you are going to need to send in a proof of purchase so we can service the box if it is under 3 years old, You can call us to handle it a little faster if you want. 860-482-8283"

Right, the box is only 3 weeks old, and I have to pull it out, send it to them, and be without my car for ??? amount of time, so they can service a brand new box. And no doubt pay shipping both ways.

I haven't responded yet.

They'll probably offer you a replacement P/S box, and charge it from your card.
After you've shipped back your old one they'll refund the money.

At least that's how they offered to handle the warranty on my leaky P/S box. Sounded fair to me.
I declined and fixed it myself because the hassle of shipping it back (and still not being able to drive because of the leaks) wasn't worth it for me.

-
Back