Dougs 67 Notch build

-
Thanks guys, I am very careful with the outside thing at home. I have talked with all the neighbors and they are cool with it. I have everything mobile so it is put away every night at quitting time. I am not in any city limits which I am sure helps. The big shop is our companies fabrication facility and I have carte-blance to use it on wheekends and holidays. It is nice because it has a lot of clean compressor air and flow-thru ventilation. Starting what remains on the body & paint today, the chassis with the back 1/4's is all thats left. Then engine and K-frame assembly. Rock on!

I am unsure what order these will appear so I will do a couple posts in the reverse order of what logic dictates to see if they will be in some order. I finally got the body in primer and blocked and decided to haul it to my fabrication shop to shoot the color.
the-ride-is-here-jpg.1714539001
in-toy-haluer-jpg.1714539002
sealer-on-jpg.1714539003

View attachment The ride is here.JPG

View attachment In toy haluer.JPG

View attachment Sealer on.JPG

Last edited:
The truck is a 1965 Peterbuilt custom built frame up by my friend who also builds some very cool cars. It was a seven year build and has been all over the country. This is actually today when he come to take my car home in the toy hauler.

The rest of the photos, I painted yesterday and cleaned up today. Primed & body work, blocked three times in my driveway before hauling to paint shop. Final prep and wiped with U-Pol degreaser & tack cloth, then the sealer. The sealer was a little rough so I hit the whole car & hood with 400 Abranet again to smooth it up. Then a heavy coat of straight PPG Concept color. Let if flash for 30 minutes and hit it with two coats of 50/50 PPG Concept color/clearcoat about 15 minutes apart. Cleaned my gun & walked out. This is where are today.
3-coats-paint-on-jpg.1714539007
hood-after-painting-twice-jpg.1714539008
in-sun-1-jpg.1714539009
in-sun-2-jpg.1714539010
transport1-jpg.1714539011

View attachment 3 Coats paint on .JPG

View attachment Hood after painting twice.JPG

View attachment In sun 1.JPG

View attachment in sun 2.JPG

View attachment Transport1.JPG

Last edited:
The entire car is now painted, starting last November. It will never be first in class but I did every bit of it myself with no help except the hauling. I will color sand and buff out when the time is right but next for me is re-installing all firewall items, dash, suspension and putting the engine together. I have the rear axle to change, having an 8 1/4 shur-grip but thinking of changing to an 8 3/4 unit. I would like to get the engine together while the weather is warm as I intend to paint it the same color as the car with the left over supplies. I have an Eddy LD4B which I will powdercoat chrome/clear and a nice set of Cal Custom valve covers I am deciding how to finish as well. Probably wont be posting for a while as I will just keep working on the car. Oh yeah, I got my 15" LBP Ralleys powdercoated a nice bright argent silver and they are ready to go on when I get her legs back under her. Cheers to all and thanks for looking!
Rat----------------

Very nice, I like the did it myself also. More pictures as yu wrap it up, cannot wait to see.

The entire car is now painted, starting last November. It will never be first in class but I did every bit of it myself with no help except the hauling. I will color sand and buff out when the time is right but next for me is re-installing all firewall items, dash, suspension and putting the engine together. I have the rear axle to change, having an 8 1/4 shur-grip but thinking of changing to an 8 3/4 unit. I would like to get the engine together while the weather is warm as I intend to paint it the same color as the car with the left over supplies. I have an Eddy LD4B which I will powdercoat chrome/clear and a nice set of Cal Custom valve covers I am deciding how to finish as well. Probably wont be posting for a while as I will just keep working on the car. Oh yeah, I got my 15" LBP Ralleys powdercoated a nice bright argent silver and they are ready to go on when I get her legs back under her. Cheers to all and thanks for looking!
Rat----------------

How is the car coming? Looks great just need to see it finished!

Well after a long sabatical on the notch from builder burnout I am back at the assembly process. Picking up 8 1/4 A-body trac-loc rebuilt by RR&P Friday. Got the 7 1/4 out, the springs blown apart and cleaned and painted. Plan on reassembling the springs with new pads and shims and installing new urethane bushings and putting back in the car. Have all new brake parts on order and will install brakes and then the axle in the car. While I am working on that end of the car, i will reinstall the fuel tank and fittings. Had to remove the 7-1/4 E-brake cables for reinstall on the 8-1/4 and have to change the shock mount plates and U-bolts which a got a couple years ago, cleaned and painted. Will keep posting as this all develops. Feels good to be back on the car!:toothy1:
7-1-4-out-jpg.1714771639
springs-painted-jpg.1714771640

View attachment 7 1-4 out.jpg

View attachment Springs painted.jpg

Last edited:
Had a good day yesterday, got the leaf springs reassembled and installed. Since I am working on that end of the car I reinstalled the fuel tank as well after a good steam cleaning and new paint job. Today I will install the new brakes and fittings on the rebuilt 8 1/4 and get it ready for installation. :coffee2:
bcsprings-jpg.1714779672
bcspringsinst-jpg.1714779673

View attachment BCSprings.jpg

View attachment BCSpringsInst.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a series of photos of my latest work on the car. I rebuilt the stock springs, cleaned and painted with Por-15 and new energy suspension bushings. I steam cleaned and painted the fuel tank and reinstalled it. With member help i got the brakes installed on the 8 1/4 and put new brake lines on it. I installed the rear axle in the car and re-used the 7 1/4 emergency brake cables, bead blasted and painted. They hooked right up to the stock locations. I have a complete set of 15" Ralleys with fresh powdercoat which i tried for fit. Got centers and polished rings for them as well. Glad to have this done, moving on to the dash and firewall reinstall now. Thanks for looking and thanks all for all your help. :burnout:
8-1-4-ready-to-install-jpg.1714781590
8-1-4-installed1-jpg.1714781591
8-1-4-installed2-jpg.1714781592
15-inch-ralley-mockup-jpg.1714781593

View attachment Springs Ready.jpg

View attachment 8 1-4 ready to install.jpg

View attachment 8 1-4 installed1.jpg

View attachment 8 1-4 installed2.jpg

View attachment 15 inch Ralley mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I am happy with the powdercoat job on the LD4B, perfect being the enemy of good enough. I am happy with the powdercoat job on the Cal Custom valve covers, they are not finished yet but ready for final work. I am happy with the finish job on the dash pad, it came out great!. I included a photo of my taillight housing refurbish for fun. I painted the dash but it did not come out, have to sand down and repaint, had fisheye in the finish:-( All in all, slogging away at the build and enjoying it immensly. Cheers all-------:burnout:
ld4bpowdercoated-jpg.1714791838
calcustom1-jpg.1714791839
dashpadrecon-jpg.1714791840
taillightrefurbish-jpg.1714791841

View attachment LD4BPowdercoated.jpg

View attachment CalCustom1.jpg

View attachment DashPadRecon.jpg

View attachment TaillightRefurbish.jpg

Last edited:
I like your build thread and the results. Nice job.
Your almost there!
I am building a 67 fastback with my son and will have to be dome by next year, as it's his high school senior project. Complete restoration He learned everything from cleaning to bodywork, paint, engine build, trans, etc. It's nice when you do it all. That way you know it was put together correctly. Way to go!
We are on the wet side of the mountains. Hope to see you on the road!
Aaron.

I hope I can get these in the right order.
The first photos are of my taillight housings and the work i am trying to accomplish with them as they were pretty much garbage after I bought three sets.
The other two photos are of my attempt to salvage the Ralley wheel centers which were unusable as purchased. I spent a lot of time detailing them, then Hi-build primer and 1000 dry to get a surface. Then i hit everything with epoxy sealer, color and clear with hardner. Included are the backup light housings which were junk and the armrests which I did not want to send in for vacume plating.

taillighthousings-jpg.1714833730
prepsmparts-jpg.1714833733
partswcolor-clear-jpg.1714833734

View attachment Taillighthousings.jpg

View attachment PrepSMParts.jpg

View attachment PartsWcolor&clear.jpg

Last edited:
This has been the killer project for me. Word to my painter friends, when you use a hardner meant to be cut & buffed in 30 days, dont wait three years to do the work. You will pay a hell of a price in extra hours and sore body injuries. It did not help that my available days to do the work were 80 degrees by 10:00 AM and 100 by noon. All these photos are the finished product, after the final swirl remover and the light glaze. No wax on car but I have installed my new CC Car cover to protect it from inadvertment damage. Next for me will be finishing the taillight renovation and installing the taillights, backup lights, all rear trim and the rear bumper. Then the firewall and dash install will follow.
afterglaze1-jpg.1714833739
afterglaze2-jpg.1714833740
aftergalze3-jpg.1714833741

View attachment Afterglaze1.jpg

View attachment Afterglaze2.jpg

View attachment Aftergalze3.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up on the taillight housings and am starting from scratch to get them the way I want them.
I have decided on a color for the firewall fittings and got them painted today, everyting will be clearcoat with hardner.
I polished the trimmer at the vinyl roof line and installed it.
I am starting to install the refurbished dash and worked on it today. I removed the vacume guage in the center and replaced it with a tach. I also did the ampmeter/voltmeter conversion.
Cheers, Rat:cheers:
bctlhousings-jpg.1714837093
bcfirewallparts-jpg.1714837094
bclesstrimmer-jpg.1714837095
bcwithtrimmer-jpg.1714837096
bcgaugeconv1-jpg.1714837097
bcgaugemod2-jpg.1714837099
bcguagemod2-jpg.1714837100

View attachment BCTLhousings.jpg

View attachment BCfirewallparts.jpg

View attachment BClesstrimmer.jpg

View attachment BCwithtrimmer.jpg

View attachment BCgaugeconv1.jpg

View attachment BCgaugemod2.jpg

View attachment BCguagemod2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks 4-speed. Kind of important to me to re-use all the original parts to the car I can. I figured a way to refurbish the corroded pot metal so that is what I am doing. The exception will be the change to 68 glass gaskets & SS trimmers.
:coffee2:DR

Looking at the inst' panel pick ( and I can't see it really well )....
If you didn't snip the needle stop off of that sunpro volt gauge that needle cant move once the gauge is in the housing. Those other needles appear to have kinks and chips of paint missing. If so, That would indicate someone tapped on the lens until it and the metal matting broke away from the bezel and fell into those needles. They may still work just fine. Then they may hang and jump rather than produce a smooth, fluid like, movement. The needles are very easily distorted. Tapping on that lens is about the worst thing the operator can do. If you go ahead and put it all together as shown, Good luck. Don't tap on the lens.

-
Back