Getting ready to swap a 5.7 into my 73 Dart Swinger

-
Just to make sure I’m following you, does your car have power steering or it does not? I think the consensus is you can NOT keep factory PS when installing a Hemi.

Additionally, what are you doing about AC, did you relocate the drivers side mount?

And last but not least, I am curious what you are going to do about the oil filter location.....
Wait... What? I could have swor I read somewhere that the factory ps will fit. I'm not running ac I am going to get a pulley to bypass that and I will double check what side it was on but i saw no reason that wouldnt fit.. The oil filter can easliy have a bracket or something fabbed up I was thinking behind the headlight in the bay somewhere. Oil pan is due to come in the mail today so I'm looking foward to saving up for the stamd alone and a tune i heard back from a company and i can tune my 03 computer to be stand alone

Last edited:
Wait... What? I could have swor I read somewhere that the factory ps will fit. I'm not running ac I am going to get a pulley to bypass that and I will double check what side it was on but i saw no reason that wouldnt fit.. The oil filter can easliy have a bracket or something fabbed up I was thinking behind the headlight in the bay somewhere. Oil pan is due to come in the mail today so I'm looking foward to saving up for the stamd alone and a tune i heard back from a company and i can tune my 03 computer to be stand alone
I was thinking they (someone) said power steering was a “must go away” unless you changed something or relocated the reservoir (?). But I’m not sure, that’s why I thought I would ask. The AC compressor I think just barely bumps the steering box but most shim it out. But again, I don’t know. The power brakes are the other concern. The booster specifically. But maybe I can get an aftermarket one with a smaller diameter?

But in the end, I’m also wondering if the 74 V8 K member improves a lot of the situation, making it a “best case” scenario versus previous years....

I was thinking they (someone) said power steering was a “must go away” unless you changed something or relocated the reservoir (?). But I’m not sure, that’s why I thought I would ask. The AC compressor I think just barely bumps the steering box but most shim it out. But again, I don’t know. The power brakes are the other concern. The booster specifically. But maybe I can get an aftermarket one with a smaller diameter?

But in the end, I’m also wondering if the 74 V8 K member improves a lot of the situation, making it a “best case” scenario versus previous years....
I stuffed a 6.1 in a 72 Demon and retained power steering. The confusion may be around the fact you will need to get a lower pressure pump. The factory one is to high pressure for the typical rack and pinion set up. A lot of folks are then also putting a oil cooler (small) on the PS line to get rid of the heat.

I stuffed a 6.1 in a 72 Demon and retained power steering. The confusion may be around the fact you will need to get a lower pressure pump. The factory one is to high pressure for the typical rack and pinion set up. A lot of folks are then also putting a oil cooler (small) on the PS line to get rid of the heat.
So then just a different power steering pump may solve the problem. What pump did you use?

The 5.7 going into my 74 Dart Sport, spool mount, is out of a 14 Car. I’m actually becoming optimistic that the only real issue I’m facing is headers/manifolds, shimming the AC compressor, and use a diff PS pump...

I went TTI headers and never looked back. I am not satisfied you will actually need to do anything with the AC pump. Just hard to say without being there.
Brake booster? Any thoughts and/or experience with that being an issue? Are you thinking even the issues I suspect will come to be, may not actually “come to be” ?

I bought a unit from Bouchillon. Looks nice. Fits well. The parts just keep adding up......
Lots of stuff there is more expensive than other places, but, Randy will answer any questions you have and give lots of advice. So, is it worth the extra $, depends on the person I suppose.

Brake booster was an issue for me the factory one is simply to big of diameter. On mine it got in way of steering. I felt that I basically had to either source a much smaller one or abandon it and go to a Wilwood/Tilton type setup. Some of the guys on here are likely much more savvy than I am. With my limited knowledge and skill set that was how I had to do it.

Brake booster was an issue for me the factory one is simply to big of diameter. On mine it got in way of steering. I felt that I basically had to either source a much smaller one or abandon it and go to a Wilwood/Tilton type setup. Some of the guys on here are likely much more savvy than I am. With my limited knowledge and skill set that was how I had to do it.
Don’t happen to have any pics do you?

I wish, basically I am in the middle of that transition. Trying to decide Wilwood or Tilton. I just removed my huge brand new OEM booster. It will be for sale dirt cheap here directly. My only picture would be of a blank firewall.

Any chance you have a link to the Wilwood set up you are looking at as an option? I'm not to sure I wont be going down the same path but dont know what the options are either.....

Good God idk where to begin.. Upon instal of milodon oil pan metal was found in the pan. All I have left to take out is crank and pistons and still no obious sign of where the metal came from. ******* rust everywhere in this car, never buy Detroit cars. The "front clip" is offically done and in moving on to the cab and looking for 8.8 lsd rear end to swap. And then there is the rust again. And again... Above the drivers door jam there is some serious Fab and patch work needing to be done. Luckily I bought miller welder to start tig welding my patches but I have no pedal, tank, tig torch, or ground. So for now I'm just trying to get this body ready to get on a frame table to get squared so I can weld in the frame supports and connections. The block will be comming back hopefully within 3 months rebuilt 020 bore over and I also had to drill and thread the block for the motor mount which worked out perfectly but now I am INVESTED with this block in time and it is in great shape like i said before the show's no obvious signs of where it came from.

Cam and lifters?
Lifters seem fine cam has some wear down on one or 2 of the bearings but I'm going to replace it with a new cam as soon as I figure which one to pick. No. Big spending on forged internals for me because after all this work guess how much I want to boost this engine. Not even a little bit. Haha

Do yourself a huge favor and delete MDS. I got a ridiculous deal on my 5.7 for $100. Cylinders were a bit wore and the valve train was shot so I rebuilt the whole thing as stock. Later, I decided to go with a better cam and had to delete the MDS. This requires non-MDS lifters, cam and 6.1 valve springs.
Anyone interested in a stock MDS cam, lifters and solenoids? :)
What did you wind up doing for brake booster. I still have my power brakes and power steering but heavily modded them to fit/form/function.

G50

Do yourself a huge favor and delete MDS. I got a ridiculous deal on my 5.7 for $100. Cylinders were a bit wore and the valve train was shot so I rebuilt the whole thing as stock. Later, I decided to go with a better cam and had to delete the MDS. This requires non-MDS lifters, cam and 6.1 valve springs.
Anyone interested in a stock MDS cam, lifters and solenoids? :)
What did you wind up doing for brake booster. I still have my power brakes and power steering but heavily modded them to fit/form/function.

G50
I dont know if all rams came like this but the donor had no mds and no vvt of course. There is no brakes in it as of now in my dart. I can tell you I'll do everything I can to avoid a break booster in the bay ive heard from a friend there are dome reverse side of the firewall barake boosters? Im looking into the breaks but my focus is widespread right now.

Ok right now I think ima find my problem cyl 6 amd 5 seem to have the sherds of metal comming from there. Found some stuck in there.. Im going to pull all 8 amd update
20190623_191935.jpg
20190623_191922.jpg

I cant even explain how bad the rod bearings were. Some were even completely absent and upon loosening the rod next to itthere was sloppy play on the crank. God this sucks so bad. I can imagine the bearimgs got red hot and metal that is the bearings started to purtrude out.

Yeah, that sucks. Shop around on the interwebs, you will find decent deals on parts. The key is patience.

Yeah, that sucks. Shop around on the interwebs, you will find decent deals on parts. The key is patience.
Yes but its going in for a rebuild getting a good deal on a base price 1200 for the short block so far seems like only the align hone on the crank will be extra but I'm working the details before i take it in. Spent some time under the car and seam sealed the fenders back on but not the front grill or anything there.. I got my hands on core short block 2011 5.7 hemi 50 bucks for fit up purposes while my engine gets built and I come up with the cash. Light rust but rotates.
Well here is the real reason I got the extra block for fit up.
This transmission :) I'm using the rfe because it's what I have and this is a show/cruiser not a drag car but i digress.. To fit this up... I'll be bracing the frame or body before I make a cut? Its on 4 wheels but I didnt see sublime brace the car when he did his.. Seemed like he just cut a big hole and brought that baby up? I see that he braced it from there to hold it at 1 to 3 degrees to the rear end and fabricated from there but what about warping of the car? Should frame connectors be done prior too making room for the trans or after.

Booked for Wednesday for a frame table inspection and frame connectors after. then pull this transmission swaparoo off. When I thought i would only be in this 5k haha 10k is what someone said it cost. slowly I see that number being accurate. I stopped keeping track of the hrs amd smaller purchases long ago. Thanks again for all the help. Lil sob stroy I'm 27 have a new born daughter plus I am remodeling a shack of a house you know shine a penny kind of thing, lost 50lbs in 6months at my New job, trying to launch my own small time rig welding operation, and still somehow with the car about 20+miles away ive made progress. Why im doing this is a whole other story. Cheers

-
Back