Got me a new hog today...

-
They have a funky procedure, you have to drop the piston down .250” from TDC to set the lash.

HOGS...
IMG_20200830_125041.jpg
:thumbsup:..

I think I found the problem with the Bonanza. The gear ratio is way off. 40 to 9...:realcrazy:... It should have a 60 or 72 on the back LOL

Since 9x72 was good for about 75mph on my 15K rpm Yamahammer .. You could be on to something there :steering:
Yeah it's like spooky fast! I mean I can't even get it up to wide open before it gets scary. And then when I try to go slow it chugs along like a rocket like out of control like I can't get it to stop like look out!..

If that's #35 chain you don't want to go any smaller than 9 toofs, chain will bind up
I'm not well-versed in chain and how to tell the number. I do know that the chain on the wheel sprocket does not seem to roll over the one that's between the motor and the Jack shaft. The one between the motor in the Jack shaft looks smaller and more narrow and the one that goes from the Jack shaft to the rear sprocket seems bigger and wider... the sprocket on the wheel doesn't seem very wide at all... Even though it has what seems like the bigger chain...

Compliments of Comet Kart sales

#35 Chain Pitch - 3/8" Pin Measurement Center to Center (35 Regular Chain is Narrow with no space between the roller and side plate, .390") (35 Space Chain is wider with space between the roller and side plate, .470", used mainly in racing applications)

#219 Chain Pitch - .300" Pin Measurement Center to Center

#40 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .320" (Wider than #420 Chain)

#420 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .250" (Skinnier than #40 Chain)

#428 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .320" (428 Chain is the high end shifter kart chain)

Compliments of Comet Kart sales

#35 Chain Pitch - 3/8" Pin Measurement Center to Center (35 Regular Chain is Narrow with no space between the roller and side plate, .390") (35 Space Chain is wider with space between the roller and side plate, .470", used mainly in racing applications)

#219 Chain Pitch - .300" Pin Measurement Center to Center

#40 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .320" (Wider than #420 Chain)

#420 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .250" (Skinnier than #40 Chain)

#428 Chain Pitch - 1/2" Pin Measurement Center to Center, Width .320" (428 Chain is the high end shifter kart chain)
So my thinking is I have a 9 on the jackshaft and a 40 on the wheel. Which is about a 1 to 4 ratio.. let's say you like to have a 1 to 6 ratio generally. Which would mean a 60 tooth on the wheel...
Soooo, like you said having a jackshaft gives me an easier option to put a larger sprocket on the drive part of the jackshaft on the driven side. So instead of a 10 I believe on the clutch to a 13 I'm going to buy a 17 to replace the 13 on the jackshaft and a 3 foot piece of number 35 chain.. I'm hoping the extra 40s will make the extra 33% that I need? And if I buy a 3-foot piece of chain it will be way more than enough and I'll be able to cut it down to what I need. The Jack shaft sprocket in the chain are a $22 investment LOL.. I can't get the sprocket too big in that area has it may start hitting the frame...

View attachment 1715576693
It's a basket case, but should fix up good for the grandkids...
After many test drives of course...:D....
full suspension! Nice......All I see are hard tails. I got 35-71 and 35-76 sprockets if you want them, no miles. Keep the kids at a safe speed and will climb trees with that gearing. 5.25 inch 6 bolt circle at about 9-10" diameter.

Last edited:
I messed with a $50 pit bike I bought and could not get that thing to start, found the kill witch was wired to a momentary switch that was normally closed (doh!) and the carb was shot. I bought a Walbro carb clone off ebay for $8 shipped and the 49cc started on the first pull of the cord! I get my 8 year old on it and told him the brake is on the right, He floors it and it takes off straight across the street right into the rear fender of my neighbors car...first time on a gas bike and he just froze. Ended up with a gash on his leg and me sleeping on the couch for that weekend. Rear tire was flat on the rim, I can imagine how much worse it could have been on 2 good tires! It hauled *** and was sold the next day. Not sure what the CID is of that B&S but the 49cc chinese motors wind up fast.

Theoretically with a 14" tall tire and governed to what? 3000rpm? A 14T on the driven side of the jack shaft should be about 20mph.
Like I said in the first post this bike was a complete basket case. I mean it was together and people had ran it but it went through too many cobbling hands... Just get it going good enough to get the kids out of my hair... I believe it has a 12 tooth going to a 13 tooth driving a 9 to driving a 40 tooth LOL... I've got an 18 tooth and some chain ready to replace the 13 tooth hopefully Tuesday according to Amazon...

Like I said in the first post this bike was a complete basket case. I mean it was together and people had ran it but it went through too many cobbling hands... Just get it going good enough to get the kids out of my hair... I believe it has a 12 tooth going to a 13 tooth driving a 9 to driving a 40 tooth LOL... I've got an 18 tooth and some chain ready to replace the 13 tooth hopefully Tuesday according to Amazon...

That would be pretty darn close doin' the math in my :realcrazy: head. :lol:

full suspension! Nice......All I see are hard tails. I got 35-71 and 35-76 sprockets if you want them, no miles. Keep the kids at a safe speed and will climb trees with that gearing. 5.25 inch 6 bolt circle at about 9-10" diameter.
The rear sprocket on this one is the one that is part drum brake as well.... That's why I'm choosing to do the easy way out and change the Jack shaft sprocket on the other side instead of having to buy a sprocket / drum brake assembly and get all that changed and a new chain...
Appreciate the offer!..

I messed with a $50 pit bike I bought and could not get that thing to start, found the kill witch was wired to a momentary switch that was normally closed (doh!) and the carb was shot. I bought a Walbro carb clone off ebay for $8 shipped and the 49cc started on the first pull of the cord! I get my 8 year old on it and told him the brake is on the right, He floors it and it takes off straight across the street right into the rear fender of my neighbors car...first time on a gas bike and he just froze. Ended up with a gash on his leg and me sleeping on the couch for that weekend. Rear tire was flat on the rim, I can imagine how much worse it could have been on 2 good tires! It hauled *** and was sold the next day. Not sure what the CID is of that B&S but the 49cc chinese motors wind up fast.
My stepson road the minibike when he was a kid that I bought him but the first time he got on my best friends sons little 80 I think it was a KX80 LOL he shot down the street across all the yards across the street again through all the yards again and we had to catch him thank God he didn't wipe out! He was scared shittless... Lol.. traumatized to say the least LOL....

The rear sprocket on this one is the one that is part drum brake as well.... That's why I'm choosing to do the easy way out and change the Jack shaft sprocket on the other side instead of having to buy a sprocket / drum brake assembly and get all that changed and a new chain...
Appreciate the offer!..

When you build the DAD model, use a short piece of race kart axle, bearings, and the appropriate accesories :rolleyes: They make 2 piece driven sprockets for the drive hub. Easy gear selection :D

When you build the DAD model, use a short piece of race kart axle, bearings, and the appropriate accesories :rolleyes: They make 2 piece driven sprockets for the drive hub. Easy gear selection :D
Well now I have the little smilin Jack slightly torn apart and getting some new break and clutch stuff for it... I'm starting to think about freshening that up a little bit and letting it go and just getting something a little bigger... Maybe let the chopper idea go.. I don't know if I want a fleet of these things around the two that I have already given me thrills in their own way.. lol...

-
Back