Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Usually have some wet alder I burn when I use the propane get a little flame broiled if I do it right.
I cook on the upper rack.

wet alder? not sure what that is?
Alder is a hardwood. Real light smoke. It's used for trim work in houses. Cheap and looks good. My buddy does custom moulding work. I have a seemingly endless supply. I keep little briquette sized pieces in a bucket with water. Some waterlogged to completely dry. Usually only cooking for 2 if that many.

I want an electric smoker.

Alder is a hardwood. Real light smoke. It's used for trim work in houses. Cheap and looks good. My buddy does custom moulding work. I have a seemingly endless supply. I keep little briquette sized pieces in a bucket with water. Some waterlogged to completely dry. Usually only cooking for 2 if that many.

i should have known this..I'm a carpenters son..

You’ll never regret it. I am amazed at what that biscuit smoker can do. Everything I’ve cooked in there has turned out great. Did some Gouda cheese awhile ago that was delicious. Plumbed it into the chimney in shop. Now I have the best of two worlds. Get to play in shop and cook supper at same time. WIN,WIN

You’ll never regret it. I am amazed at what that biscuit smoker can do. Everything I’ve cooked in there has turned out great. Did some Gouda cheese awhile ago that was delicious. Plumbed it into the chimney in shop. Now I have the best of two worlds. Get to play in shop and cook supper at same time. WIN,WIN
what? cheese....did i read that right? you can put cheese in a smoker?

what? cheese....did i read that right? you can put cheese in a smoker?
Yes. You turn the electric element off. Use biscuit burner only. Must keep temperature under 100 degrees for sure, I try for around 70/80degrees. Definitely a learning curve there, but read up on it. It’s just to good. Winter with smoker outside makes it a lot easier. Enjoy.

Yes. You turn the electric element off. Use biscuit burner only. Must keep temperature under 100 degrees for sure, I try for around 70/80degrees. Definitely a learning curve there, but read up on it. It’s just to good. Winter with smoker outside makes it a lot easier. Enjoy.
Ya kind of a cooler weather process.

Been a decent day really but a little chilly when the sun goes in.
Sunny right through till Sat. Sunday will be rain.
Not sure if I'm going to the huge car show on Saturday. Stomach isn't the best right now and the washrooms are quite a jaunt.
Just like the book called Rushing to the Outhouse by Willy Makit and Betty Don't

got tired of buying the cheap BBQ's . best 1000.00 I spent 10 years ago. burners with the added SEAR burner still works. I used to laugh when people would tell me how much they spent.....Humbled for sure to say the least. Age and wisdom has that advantage over youth and arrogance for sure
So true, I bought a stainless grill a few years ago, it has already outlasted any cheap one, so a few more years it will have paid for itself.

I have a Weber and has lasted me 12 years so far also just bought a Blackstone a couple years ago that I like.
Think next time I need a BBQ grill I'm going to make my own.

I have a Weber and has lasted me 12 years so far also just bought a Blackstone a couple years ago that I like.
Think next time I need a BBQ grill I'm going to make my own.
Our district rock farm manager was going to retire. I started scrounging around our bone yard. In a well hidden area of my plant I built him a BBQ pit out of discarded rock plant parts. Conveyor parts, electric motor accessories, mobile equipment parts, whatever I could figger out a use for. :lol: He got a big kick out of it and it moved to Oregon with him when he retired. Lots of the Santa Maria Style pits around here at one time were built with similar materials from our oil patch. Fred, if you do go to build one, if you have a rock farm nearby, hit them up and see if you can get some used screen material for the grill itself.

Our district rock farm manager was going to retire. I started scrounging around our bone yard. In a well hidden area of my plant I built him a BBQ pit out of discarded rock plant parts. Conveyor parts, electric motor accessories, mobile equipment parts, whatever I could figger out a use for. :lol: He got a big kick out of it and it moved to Oregon with him when he retired. Lots of the Santa Maria Style pits around here at one time were built with similar materials from our oil patch. Fred, if you do go to build one, if you have a rock farm nearby, hit them up and see if you can get some used screen material for the grill itself.
With your expertise on grilling I'll defiantly ask questions when I do. :thumbsup:

Crusher screen?

With your expertise on grilling I'll defiantly ask questions when I do. :thumbsup:
Them rock plant screens make great grill material. If they get one little hole in them it's off to the scrap pile they go and there could be a 3'x6' piece of usable material around that little hole. The smaller opening screen bits make excellent accessories for specialty goodies. Easy to cut, good steel, cut a few of the wires and easy to bend.

Look like this when new
1727902890574.png

I use the 3/8"-3/4" openings. That will hold almost anything over the fire. Get up there around the 1 1/2" you might lose some mushrooms :lol:

I have 3 smokers my outside wood fired oil tank which does two loads of venison garlic sausage, bacon, and hams each year, my Bradley which does everything else, and a stainless propane BBQ which does steaks, potatoes etc. Makes a huge difference in the grocery when you can process your own meat.

-
Back