Lock picking

-
I have no doubt you could remove the pins from that lock after opening it, measure the distance from the bottom of the pin to the sheer line and re produce the key.

Juat gotta crack her open.

Good luck!

I found an even better pic of the key with the ruler!!

DSC08240.JPG

I know this doesn't help Trebling but it's an interesting tool for reproducing keys.

I know this doesn't help Trebling but it's an interesting tool for reproducing keys.

So.....if I shipped you my lock could you give me (figure out) the dimensions to make a key. I know I can make a key down to a few thousandths of an inch (by hand) if I know what to make!! Can pay you a fee if necessary.

Oh, i don't know?

Honestly i have just been watching videos for the last few years on and off. I don't even own a set of lock pics yet. They show up on Monday.

I think with that double rake, single half diamond it will pop right open.

Then drive out all the pins with brass drifts, map all the parts, clean, measure and reassemble.

Its scary how simple locks are. What we see as a complex and trustworthy lock is really nothing more that a slight delay to someone who understands them.

It reminds me of my dad telling me. "A lock only keeps a honest man honest."

If you would like i would be very happy to try and open your lock, map the pins and give you the depth of the cuts.

I would in no way would ever ask for money as one, Im not sure i could even open it and two, it would be very fun to try.

I learned how easy it was to pick locks after I learned to build cylinders.
There is a finesse to it. You learn to "feel" the cylinder give a little as each pin/gate is pushed into place.
It's hard to describe the feel, you either can or you can't.
I have a couple of those "determinator's" set up for mopar lock cylinders. They work ok, but without a key punch, they're useless. I have 2 Curtis clippers and a Pak-A-Punch clipper. I also own a Ilco duplicator and a Curtis duplicator with EZ code cutting function. The key machine I love is my Exacta MK1, but it's been discontinued and finding plates and depth knobs for older stuff is nearly impossible.
The real trick will be when you can simply look at a key, and can cut one from sight. I've taken pictures of all my car keys just in case I lose one, I can make one.
But the Lock-picking Lawyer is great. He's shown me how to defeat a bunch of locks.
Your dad was right, locks only keep honest people honest.

I used to be able to pick pad locks when I was about 10-12 years old.
I've since lost the feel, though and don't really have the patience any more.

A few years ago I found, in the middle of a street turn lane island, a Medeco lock with the key.
Looking that up, I found it's a $300 pad lock made in Finland, and one of the hardest on earth to pick.

Re-keying Mopar door locks is possibly one of the easiest lock and key jobs there is.
You don't need any special tools.
The sheet metal pin cover comes off real easy and goes back on real easy as well.
There are only a few different pin lengths and you can usually match the pins to a key with just a couple of parts locks.
I've even done all but one pin on both door locks to match an ignition key without any additional parts pins.

Last edited:
I remember way back, dad had a can full of old padlocks and mismatched keys. I fiddled with them for hours on end and got most of them unlocked. Have dismantled many automotive lock cylinders,and moved pins or removed a few to make them fit existing keys. All out of necessity. When i was at the dealership i was the guy they had do the cylinders to fit customers keys.
The conservation trucks i did the
Rigging on had the electronic gun locks. Easy to get a gun out. Have since forgotten how, but i would figure it out when i saw another.

know a locksmith that made a door key by looking through passenger window at it hanging in ignition. He’s good at it.
Fascinating stuff.

Oof, I walked into that one.

I can think of LOTS of things.. problem is she has a hard time falling asleep so if i wake her up for the best fifteen minutes of her life she will be awake for the next hour or more. Then she is grumpy and i dont need that.....

Ohhh great. I just bought one of these for my locker when I go to planet fitness.

I used to unlock the cheap combination locks back in school. Pretty easy if you had the touch.

Oh, i don't know?

Honestly i have just been watching videos for the last few years on and off. I don't even own a set of lock pics yet. They show up on Monday.

I think with that double rake, single half diamond it will pop right open.

Then drive out all the pins with brass drifts, map all the parts, clean, measure and reassemble.

Its scary how simple locks are. What we see as a complex and trustworthy lock is really nothing more that a slight delay to someone who understands them.

It reminds me of my dad telling me. "A lock only keeps a honest man honest."

If you would like i would be very happy to try and open your lock, map the pins and give you the depth of the cuts.

I would in no way would ever ask for money as one, Im not sure i could even open it and two, it would be very fun to try.
It's a toss up???/ Either I use money to buy the lock picks and (plus shipping) Or.... use my money to ship the lock to you (with return shipping included)??? I have lost much of my patience over the years even though I still love a challenge. Years ago I tried to knock out the brass/bronze pins....they wouldn't budge. I'm a machinist so I know what I'm doing when it comes to that kind of stuff. I really could knock the hell out of them but I didn't want to bust the lock and ruin it's beauty (patina). With all that said, and if you don't mind, I think i rather have you take a "crack" at it. You can tell me what the key should look like (hopefully) and I'll make the key but give you all the credit. I would love to be able to open the lock and show it off!!

Sorry i just saw this. Busy day for me.

Yeah i would love to try.

Let me do some research on it.

Im crazy busy at the shop right now so if you dont hear from me in a few days remind me.

Thank you.

Sorry i just saw this. Busy day for me.

Yeah i would love to try.

Let me do some research on it.

Im crazy busy at the shop right now so if you dont hear from me in a few days remind me.

Thank you.
OK. I picked up a Flat Rate bx ($11), so I'll be sending you a PM to get your address then I'll send you the lock with extra money for return postage. I'll include pics of the same lock I found online to give you an idea of where the pins are located on the key and how long the key actually is.

Thanks

My dad is a locksmith. AMA.

I've watched him pick a deadbolt with a credit card.

He opens safes, and about 90% of the time, the customer GIVES HIM THE SAFE when they get their (usually worthless) junk out of it.

He does car lockouts. It's amazing how fast he can get in a car.

He's old school, pretty much the last of a dying breed. You should see the BS he has to buy to keep up with it, because they keep changing everything. New blanks. New machines. New computers. It's crazy what he has to buy to keep up. He's selling the business if you want it.

Thank you but my day job is building cars.
This is just a hobby for me.

Treblig

So good new and bad mews.

The good news.

That is a VERY VERY well made and expensive lock. The company is still around. I will be calling them Monday and see if they have any info on their locks form the 1800s.

The bad news.

It is a VERY VERY NICE LOCK.
I do not think it can be shimmed open, it must be picked and the bottom will not come off unless it is open.

Here is a very similar Yale lock.

Your is even nicer with the covered key way.

I would guess it is a old "marine" lock due to its metal and design. Most likely old military or Railroad, The average person at that time would not be able to afford such a high quality lock.

I am really looking for to this!

Thank you but my day job is building cars.
This is just a hobby for me.

Treblig

So good new and bad mews.

The good news.

That is a VERY VERY well made and expensive lock. The company is still around. I will be calling them Monday and see if they have any info on their locks form the 1800s.

The bad news.

It is a VERY VERY NICE LOCK.
I do not think it can be shimmed open, it must be picked and the bottom will not come off unless it is open.

Here is a very similar Yale lock.

Your is even nicer with the covered key way.

I would guess it is a old "marine" lock due to its metal and design. Most likely old military or Railroad, The average person at that time would not be able to afford such a high quality lock.

I am really looking for to this!

AMAZING!! Just as long as mine doesn't come back cut up in pieces!!! LOL
Shipped it off a little while ago. The one in the video is a little different than mine (mine is more heavy duty) but might have similar guts. There's nothing jammed inside so that's one good thing. That video should give you a little insight into how to crack the lock open??

I can not wait!

The people here are the best.

Where else would some person send something of high value to some other person under trust.

Thats why this place is the best.

Destructive method: 2 1" open end wrenches: put one side of each one in the lock hasp and pry it open against each other like using a bolt cutter. Itll destroy the padlock but it'll get (your) stuff. Take a look at a older Lexus key. Sort of a grooved trac some pins must follow? I got a steering wheel lock whos key is a brass rod with different sized dimples on it on 4 sides. The 'pins' are ball bearings!

No Sir.

I will care for that lock like it is my own family treasure.

Folks bring cars to my shop.

I dont pry the door open to look inside.

I just ordered a couple of key blanks based on the measurements I got off that other pic of the same lock (post #28).

s-l1600.jpg

Last time I had to have a locksmith open my PT Cruiser, I noticed there had been a fundamental shift in technology.

An inflatable air bag slid in between the top of the door and the body.

Then poke the power lock button with a fishing rod.

I sure did think "well, I coulda' done that".

...and in fact I did the next time, but I used wooden wedges.

You can use a candle to blacken the key blank insert and try to turn a little it will rub the spot off where the tumbler is, file there. Keep repeating until the key takes shape. It’s a long and painstaking process. That’s one way I learned to open them locks.

-
Back