Lunati Hydraulic FT Cam users..........

-
So what did the guy with the Nova say. lol

That's not my point. A properly setup Hydraulic will perform at the power level/RPM 318willrun is most likely to be at and not give up anything to a solid.
Except the racket. lol
Racket... :rolleyes:... Come on now there's people that don't have them or have never heard them and see stuff like this and perpetuate this :bs_flag:....

Nice read. I think I shift about 4800 now with the small cam (no tach). Will probably shift about 5500-5600 rpms with the next cam, but the engine will decide.
You really need a cheap tachometer and know what's going on in there LOL...
If you put some good Springs in there and a solid lifter cam you won't want to let it run till it floats....

Nice read. I think I shift about 4800 now with the small cam (no tach). Will probably shift about 5500-5600 rpms with the next cam, but the engine will decide.
Don't tell me you're going run the cam in the recommended effective RPM range. lol

You really need a cheap tachometer and know what's going on in there LOL...
If you put some good Springs in there and a solid lifter cam you won't want to let it run till it floats....
Tachometer is a car guys hearing aid for the tone deaf. I have zero issues hearing when to shift my car. But I'm going to install a tach, I have it already

Don't tell me you're going run the cam in the recommended effective RPM range. lol
My last Dart ran 12's, and I tried shifting that 360 at 6000 rpms, but it ran the exact same ET at 5700 rpms, so 5700 rpms is where I shifted it. I let the car decide, not what makes me feel more like a racer or if I think it sounds "cool"... LOL :D

My last Dart ran 12's, and I tried shifting that 360 at 6000 rpms, but it ran the exact same ET at 5700 rpms, so 5700 rpms is where I shifted it. I let the car decide, not what makes me feel more like a racer or if I think it sounds "cool"... LOL :D
Yep, just because the tach is climbing doesn't mean the engine is making more power. just more noise.

I think you missed the most important part, the car's purpose. It's purpose is strictly to make me happy. It isn't built for any certain class or any particular race or grudge match.

A lot of the guys miss this one. Both for themselves as well as others.

I'd be willing to bet fuel injectors are noisier than a decent solid cam setup. No one ever shys away from efi "because of the racket".

I think most people simply equate solids with "race only" for some reason. But plenty of street motors (and lots of motorcycles) do just fine without hydraulic valvetrains.

I'd be willing to bet fuel injectors are noisier than a decent solid cam setup. No one ever shys away from efi "because of the racket".

I think most people simply equate solids with "race only" for some reason. But plenty of street motors (and lots of motorcycles) do just fine without hydraulic valvetrains.

My build is 7.5:1 with exhaust manifolds. A solid cam would be a waste......PLUS it's not what "I" want. Sometimes other peoples' wet dreams aren't the same as yours. Get over it already.

LOL I ran plenty of solid lifter camshafts over the last 40+ years. Plenty of hydraulics to. lol
and I like the sound of Rhoads lifters better than the solid sound. lol
They each have their place. Depends on what you want to do.

LOL I ran plenty of solid lifter camshafts over the last 40+ years. Plenty of hydraulics to. lol
and I like the sound of Rhoads lifters better than the solid sound. lol
They each have their place. Depends on what you want to do.
I've yet to try Rhoads lifters.... those that have speak well of them, though.

My build is 7.5:1 with exhaust manifolds. A solid cam would be a waste......PLUS it's not what "I" want. Sometimes other peoples' wet dreams aren't the same as yours. Get over it already.

No need for me to get over anything. I completely agree!

I was only commenting about the noise, and the noise alone.
Some people need their "fake because" reason to do or not do something and "noise" is cited by lots of folks who have probably sat next to hundreds of solid cams and could never tell by ear.

Plenty of reasons some might run a solid cam, even with manifolds and low comp. But if someone doesn't want them, that's plenty reason enough not to run them!

No need for me to get over anything. I completely agree!

I was only commenting about the noise, and the noise alone.
Some people need their "fake because" reason to do or not do something and "noise" is cited by lots of folks who have probably sat next to hundreds of solid cams and could never tell by ear.

Plenty of reasons some might run a solid cam, even with manifolds and low comp. But if someone doesn't want them, that's plenty reason enough not to run them!

OK gotchya. My bad. Remember, I'm half blind, over half deaf and way over half stupid. lol

THAT outta the way, I fully agree that solid lifters can have an advantage.......BUT a hydraulic camshaft with a modern grind and the right lifters I believe could rival or even beat a similar solid. I don't get all the hydraulic hate all of a sudden.......but oh well. lol

You're putting together a low-budget pile of crap with whatever you can scrounge around and get and be satisfied with it and that's what you want. 318 is looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds of performance...
He's put the money out for Doug's header's, he's put the money out for aluminum heads, he's put the money out for Mickey Thompson drag radials... do you see the direction that he's going and looking for???... He tries to get to the drag strip as much as he can afford each summer for his enjoyment and fun and progress reports. He has a goal...
In my opinion all these things he's looking to do lineup much more with a solid lifter Cam and adjustable rockers...
As the article link prh posted there's more horsepower to be had..

OK gotchya. My bad. Remember, I'm half blind, over half deaf and way over half stupid. lol

THAT outta the way, I fully agree that solid lifters can have an advantage.......BUT a hydraulic camshaft with a modern grind and the right lifters I believe could rival or even beat a similar solid. I don't get all the hydraulic hate all of a sudden.......but oh well. lol

No worries, I know how it is around here ;)

No hydraulic hate here. Personally I think they can meet the performance of any solid, but the engineering and testing required is beyond the scope of a shade tree hot rodder. The statement about 800+ hp hydraulic motors is relevant, I don't care if they do have better lifter bank angles! If an LS can spin 12k with hydraulic rollers then an LA can go 7500 with proper valvetrains choices too.

Problem is that since our engines are no longer viable for most sponsored racing (except nostalgia and vintage stuff), there's no serious support for them (and definitely zero factory support) and so all the parts made are "hobby spec" versus actual hard-use parts. It's a reality we have to suffer even when we delude ourselves into thinking otherwise. There's a few suppliers still making killer "old school" hard parts and such, but none are making hydraulic lifters because they're too "rocket sciency" and solids are plain simple.

All that said, I tend to agree that too many chest thumpers claim that a man card is only available to those with a solid cam and so piss on even modest hydraulic builds (if anyone thinks this is directed at them, it's not, but your suspicion says a lot about you ;) ) and so those who just don't want to run a solid will blame noise or adjustment intervals or some other boogeyman in order to avoid as much "hate". I say a pox on that, if someone doesn't want a solid then they don't want solid and that's the end of it.

/rant.

I like my microtrol lifters so far :D

Last edited:
You're putting together a low-budget pile of crap with whatever you can scrounge around and get and be satisfied with it and that's what you want. 318 is looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds of performance...
He's put the money out for Doug's header's, he's put the money out for aluminum heads, he's put the money out for Mickey Thompson drag radials... do you see the direction that he's going and looking for???... He tries to get to the drag strip as much as he can afford each summer for his enjoyment and fun and progress reports. He has a goal...
In my opinion all these things he's looking to do lineup much more with a solid lifter Cam and adjustable rockers...

True, but he also wants a hydraulic cam.. For whatever reason, that's what he wants.

Considering how fast some "stock" cars can go at the track, I doubt the gains of a solid will be what makes or breaks his combo. Even if going solid would net a few more tenths in the 1/4 with only a modest cost impact.

Thanks.

And if you’re shifting at 5500 then the Hot Rod article shows there’s pretty much no advantage to a solid, at least in their article comparing only two cams in a single engine.

Did you read the article? Look at the dyno results? That was a 440 running 10.7:1 compression and being spun to over 6k. A 440, spinning more than 6k and over 550 hp. That’s not exactly a mild build is it?

And even still, where did the difference show up? Above 5500 rpm. Below that it was even or the hydraulic was ahead. So, with a 703 he’s gonna be shifting below 6k. Probably right at 5500-5600, like the cams power range suggests. So what is the solid going to do for him there? Nothing. Above that? Sure, advantage solid cam. But that’s not a match to the cam specs he’s planning.

And really, that article compares two cams in only one engine. I mean, props to the writers for actually trying to compare similar cams. But two cams? One engine? That’s hardly definitive. It’s a single build. It’s not bad data, but it’s not nearly enough to settle the debate or prove anything really.

-
Back