Most overrated bands?

-
Over rated?
Yes, but i still like some of their songs..........
Janis Joplin
U2
The Rolling Stones
Madonna
Stevie Nicks
Aerosmith
Ozzy
Buns 'n Hoses
Cheap Trick
Any Country Band newer than 1990ish
All Rap music (if you can call it music)
Justin Beiber

And many more..........

I'm also Canadian and also never liked Rush. I never can figure out what the fuss is about them. They have two songs I can tolerate. Anything else I change the station.
Currently Drake (not a band I know) is practically idolized especially here in Toronto since he's an ambassador for the Raptors and the "6". Personally, I can't stand the guy. Can't listen to anything by him. Overexposed and commercialized.
Used to enjoy Springsteen but he's played out as far as I'm concerned. His new stuff doesn't resonate with me and I find his politics to be very off-putting. Of course if I applied that criterion to everyone, I probably wouldn't listen to much music at all.

Now this will surely stir the pot. Musically speaking.....
Oasis: huge band in their own eyes, they sucked.
Kiss: Simple riffs, all image. Band that was made for album covers and concerts, Not a bad thing, just the stuff was pretty basic music wise.
Talking heads: I tried to like them but I just couldn't get through one album...
everyone good looking guy or girl 'performer' since "Autotune" was deployed.....
OK, let the heads roll......

The Beatles top the list by a long shot!

Def Lepperd.

They were good the first couple albums, then it was pop rock garbage. With more sales the music got worse.

Like the old joke... what has 9 arms and sucks... Def Leppard

Huge difference between disliking something because it's beat to death/overplayed
Stairway (I hate the song and it's beat to death)
Freebird (same as Stairway)
Highway Star
Freewill/Limelight or any other Rush song that is in the current radio garbage format.

I can go on. I like Zep/LS/Rush/Rainbow, but some of those songs get an instant station change when they come on.

I could hit the like button on damn near every post in this thread. I grew up with all of that stuff , but it reached a point that a radio station couldn't survive without beating the **** out of a certain 10 songs. That in turn caused them to be " over rated" in my opinion. Just because a band put out 2 good tracks doesn't mean they were good. In my opinion a " good " or " great " band was a band that put out albums, cassettes or compact discs that you could pop in and like 90% of instead of the 1 or 2 you hear beat to death on the radio. unfortunately for me , there aren't too many out there lol

Did I mention the Who really SUCK. Feel me , Touch me. LMFAO what a song

wait, this has gone off track. It was over rated bands. Not bands that have been played (oftentimes ad nauseum) There is no way the Beatles should be included as over rated. You might not like them (maybe because you are tired of them) but their influence was global. And their style is still an influenced today. To a lesser degree led zeppelin, I am a huge fan, but I am tired of many/most of their songs. Of course, they have not released anything new since 1979. So if you listen to a classic rock station what to you expect to hear? Branch out
Over rated is a band that got more credit than they deserved (GnR). Not a band after 30 years you are tired of. Oasis, yes wonder wall sucks and they are/were over rated and their small canon of music will not be over played or influenced to other bands

I also disagree to Dylan being brought up. He had a lot of great stuff into the 70s. He wrote some great songs, maybe not the best voice

It's all a matter of opinion. I think the Beatles are overrated. So do a lot of other people on here, by the number of people who agreed with me. I do like some of their very early stuff. I wanna hold your hand, etc., but for the most part, IMO. they SUCK. I love a lot of Paul McCartney and Wings stuff, but that's it. It';s all about opinion. and that's mine. Fact is, no matter what you or anyone else thinks. The Beatles were not the end all be all.

Oh and lastly, "overrated" is whatever the **** I want it to be.

I was raised on classic rock and like most all of it of course so many songs have been overplayed that I do to just turn the station even if I kind of like the song but I just heard it too much. On a post back on the first page or second page someone was talking about the Godfathers of heavy metal. In my opinion it's hands-down the very first Black Sabbath album Black Sabbath Black Sabbath. WhenThe Mamas & the Papas were California Dreamin - Black Sabbath came with the heaviest hitting album of the time.
I like to keep with the music from the time of my car because I'm that age too. I've turned country to listen to something different that I haven't heard on the radio a million times. And now a big of David Allen Cole and Waylon Jennings and the such. Now I know what some of my religious co-workers in the pass were saying when they said rock and roll ain't bad it's the country music that's really bad as far as influencing people.
They looked like tombstones in our yard
And I never seen him when he wasn't tired and mean
He sold used parts to make ends meet
Covered with grease from his head to his feet
Cussing' the sweat and the texas heat
And skeeterz
And the neighbors said we lived like hicks
But they brung their cars for pa to fix anyhow

I was raised on classic rock and like most all of it of course so many songs have been overplayed that I do to just turn the station even if I kind of like the song but I just heard it too much. On a post back on the first page or second page someone was talking about the Godfathers of heavy metal. In my opinion it's hands-down the very first Black Sabbath album Black Sabbath Black Sabbath. WhenThe Mamas & the Papas were California Dreamin - Black Sabbath came with the heaviest hitting album of the time.
I like to keep with the music from the time of my car because I'm that age too. I've turned country to listen to something different that I haven't heard on the radio a million times. And now a big of David Allen Cole and Waylon Jennings and the such. Now I know what some of my religious co-workers in the pass were saying when they said rock and roll ain't bad it's the country music that's really bad as far as influencing people.
They looked like tombstones in our yard
And I never seen him when he wasn't tired and mean
He sold used parts to make ends meet
Covered with grease from his head to his feet
Cussing' the sweat and the texas heat
And skeeterz
And the neighbors said we lived like hicks
But they brung their cars for pa to fix anyhow

I agree. Sabbath is the origin of hard rock and heavy metal. Without Tony Iommi and all 2 and 3/4 of his fingers we most likely wouldn't have that infamous heavy sound that every rock/metal/hair band since then has drawn some form of inspiration from, which in part was due to the drop tuning Iommi required to be able to play after he lost the tips of two of his fingers.

We'll all say it... Yes, Iron Man is extremely overplayed on the radio (and its also one of the very first songs anyone learns when they first pick up a guitar) There's so much more to Sabbath than the 4 songs they play on the classic rock stations.

It's all a matter of opinion. I think the Beatles are overrated. So do a lot of other people on here, by the number of people who agreed with me. I do like some of their very early stuff. I wanna hold your hand, etc., but for the most part, IMO. they SUCK. I love a lot of Paul McCartney and Wings stuff, but that's it. It';s all about opinion. and that's mine. Fact is, no matter what you or anyone else thinks. The Beatles were not the end all be all.

Agree just like movie actors. I think John Wayne is over rated.

Oh and lastly, "overrated" is whatever the **** I want it to be.

Hair bands of the 80's and early 90's! All of them, no exception. Put that crap in a bucket, shake it up and you won't be able to tell one band from the other.
Wasn't a huge fan of Nirvana, but they were instrumental in the ousting of of all that hair band crap.
Rap and modern R&B. Hate that crap too.
Some others that come to mind:
Korn, Nickleback, The Grateful Dead, Dave Mathews Band (and John Mayer, can never tell them apart) Slip Knot, Insane Clown Posse (my god can that get any worse?) Prince, and The Eagles ( The Dude agrees)
oh yeah, Kiss sucks too!

Having said all this, if I had their money, I'd burn mine in embarrassment.

Being up here in Canada I could never stand RUSH. Anything autotune makes me want to puke.
Exactly how far back do 'Ya think "autotune" was around? Dude, those guys were kicking *** and bringing it live looong before pitch monitors even existed, Ged's aging voice
is the only reason they use anything like that. It also comes from the commitment to give fans the best experience possible, & His voice(love or hate) ain't never gonna be
what it used to be, but He tried to go there as much as possible. I don't think You're bound to like them 'cause You're Canadian, lol, that voice ain't for everybody!
I do take issue with overrated tho', maybe over celebrated in the provinces up there, but nobody including musicians that aren't fans don't respect their musicianship or
body of work & creativity for 40 years!

Exactly how far back do 'Ya think "autotune" was around? Dude, those guys were kicking *** and bringing it live looong before pitch monitors even existed, Ged's aging voice
is the only reason they use anything like that. It also comes from the commitment to give fans the best experience possible, & His voice(love or hate) ain't never gonna be
what it used to be, but He tried to go there as much as possible. I don't think You're bound to like them 'cause You're Canadian, lol, that voice ain't for everybody!
I do take issue with overrated tho', maybe over celebrated in the provinces up there, but nobody including musicians that aren't fans don't respect their musicianship or
body of work & creativity for 40 years!
Actually, those were 2 completely separate thoughts. 1) Have no use for Rush. 2) Autotune makes me puke.

Don't ever recall RUSH ever resorting to autotune because I always change the station so wouldnt know that. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

this is 'gonna be age specific....us old guys will live and die by the 60's and early 70's.
not much has measured up since
hey now, there's some of us younger guys who truly think bands have sucked in the last 30 years in general.
U2
Rush
Stones
Beatles
Guns and Roses
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Most everything from the 90's through now.
Any musicians who can't play an instrument (voice is an instrument)
Hillary Clinton.
Starbucks.
Mini Coopers.
Those little rat-dogs that everyone thinks are so damn cool.
Prius and Tesla drivers, buncha pretentious pricks. And their wretched cars.

I agree with everything but the Guns and Roses. And I especially agree with the everything from the 90s to present.

Well, here's the thing about ALL of this - it is SO subjective... it's like food, you like some, you don't like some. All of these groups/bands that have been mentioned made a mark however significant or otherwise it may be. So just because you think/say Aerosmith or AC/DC or KISS or whomever are overrated, underrated, good bad or otherwise - is simply your opinion - which is the point of the thread. BUT - -
GnR overrated? Yea, they suck now, and maybe you never got into what they were doing, but they absolutely stomped it out - period. They put out some "eh" rock and roll standard BS - but they also made some amazing music!! And yea, I am a fan.
Aerosmith overrated!?? Did you hurt your head recently? IMO they are one of the most underrated rock bands in history - period. SO much amazing music - their self titled Aeromsmith, Get Your Wings (in it's entirety), Rocks, Toys in the attic, Draw the line.. all so awesome. Even Permanent Vacation, Night in the ruts (right in the nuts) and Done with mirrors are pretty dang good. Sure, they blew it - sex, drugs and alcohol - but they were beyond good when they were on it. Easily in my top 5.
I could go on and on and on.. but I will go with the KISS principle here and Keep It Simple Stupid... which, by the way is why KISS, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zep are all so good, they followed the formula but didn't/don't sound like Nickleback or Trickster.

Well, here's the thing about ALL of this - it is SO subjective... it's like food, you like some, you don't like some. All of these groups/bands that have been mentioned made a mark however significant or otherwise it may be. So just because you think/say Aerosmith or AC/DC or KISS or whomever are overrated, underrated, good bad or otherwise - is simply your opinion - which is the point of the thread. BUT - -
GnR overrated? Yea, they suck now, and maybe you never got into what they were doing, but they absolutely stomped it out - period. They put out some eh rock and roll standard BS - but they also made some amazing music!! And yea, I am a fan.
Aerosmith overrated!?? Did you hurt your head recently? IMO they are one of the most underrated rock bands in history - period. SO much amazing music - their self titled Aeromsmith, Get Your Wings (in it's entirety), Rocks, Toys in the attic, Draw the line.. all so awesome. Even Permanent Vacation, Night in the ruts (right in the nuts) and Done with mirrors are pretty dang good. Sure, they blew it - sex, drugs and alcohol - but they were beyond good when they were on it. Easily in my top 5.
I could go on and on and on.. but I will go with the KISS principle here and Keep It Simple Stupid... which, by the way is why KISS, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zep are all so good, they followed the formula but didn't/don't sound like Nickleback or Trickster.
DING DING

Might as well ask what car color is overrated, would have about as much relevance.
Or it could be what bands do you like----I like the Who and Dire Straits.
Not a fan of Adele or any rap.

-
Back