My 340 in my 66 developed issues :-(

-
Jesus, if that hack job of an exhaust system is any indication of the way that motor was put together, I'd be yanking it and starting over from scratch

I was told that the exhaust manifolds I have flow better then headers. Is there any truth to that? a nice set of headers for that car cost over $700.00 and will require a mini-starter, I'm thinking I have to fix my exhaust problem and that may be attributing to the intake getting hot/baking my carb.. What do you guys think? Headers or my manifolds?

The way the exhaust pipe is located on the pass side looks to be a center dump manifold from a 273. They probably both are. No manifold will flow as well as a header.
You're gonna need a pretty stout 340 to go 12's with manifolds and a 3:55 gear.

The way the exhaust pipe is located on the pass side looks to be a center dump manifold from a 273. They probably both are. No manifold will flow as well as a header.
You're gonna need a pretty stout 340 to go 12's with manifolds and a 3:55 gear.
And the more stout it is the more it needs headers.

Ok guys, I'll order them right off. But it is tough to find headers for the 66 valiant! I did find some at summit called Doug's headers and they are 765.00 for black ones and 900.00+ for the fancy coated ones.. Both require the mini starter..
Hooker offers some but say I have to cut my fender wells to use them. I don't want to cut the fender wells! I am up for ideas, even if it's just get the Doug's headers??

TTI's is another option

Jesus, if that hack job of an exhaust system is any indication of the way that motor was put together, I'd be yanking it and starting over from scratch
Yeah why do stuff 2 or three times. Also you had better get a service manual for your car or at least a small block book. It has the firing order in it. I always pull the block drain plugs out when I pull a set of heads off
just so I don't fill the cylinders with coolant and make a big mess on the floor.

Check out Hedman Huslers, not cheap but good headers. If you have to buy another starter just get one for a mid 90s Dakota.

Man!! Headers for this car don't exist unless you want to cut your fender wells and loose your colum shift and mini starter.. Wow! Doing/finding the exhaust is tougher then I thought! I'm going to call around a bit tomorrow but I might have to use my exhaust manifolds and bring it to a custom exhaust shop..

284/484 shouldnt be running out of steam at 5000, mine pulls to 7000 if i'm not paying attention,and it doesnt have a "nice idle", and if it does have that cam, you definitely need a hi-stall TC

^^^^^That was my thought, I had a 284/484 in a 70 340 4speed, It's a pretty nasty cam and pulled hard!

284/484 shouldnt be running out of steam at 5000, mine pulls to 7000 if i'm not paying attention,and it doesnt have a "nice idle", and if it does have that cam, you definitely need a hi-stall TC

It will run out of steam if you have weak valve springs! Time for double spring upgrade.

Between the restriction in my exhaust, hearing what you guys have to say, and among other things I think the cam I have wasn't allowed to do its thing. It did pull hard but it seemed to loose steam.. Anyhow, I decided to not swap the cam and use the one I have.

So I worked all night at my normal job then got home, collected my heads and went off to the machine shop.. I am very fortunate to have a true "speed shop/machine shop" so close to home. The owner is a hell of a guy and I've known him for ten years or so.
So, I am getting my heads gone through, ordered a new intake (Edelbrock 7576 RPM air gap), ordered new wires and a MSD coil, and some gaskets..

I am having a hell of a time finding headers! It seems the only way I can keep my colum shift with my 727 is if I use hooker headers and cut holes in my inner fender wells to do it. It's such a nice car I hate to do that! I'd really like some feedback in this area..ie, pictures from someone who's done it, confirmation it will be alright and it's the right thing to do...I need a little push is the bottom line... No matter what I don't want to cut a hole in the floor and install a floor shifter!!

I have a video of my car idling before the head gasket blew that I wanted to post, but it won't let me..

Also, do you guys know the exact specs across the board of the cam we're thinking I have? All I know is 484 lift

I can't help you with the header ordeal. I mess mainly with 67-76 A-bodies.But I want to ask, did you verify that it is a MP 284/484 cam? If it is I was going to suggest you install it @ 104 Center Line. That is where that cam always worked the best for me and was advised to do this over 20-25 years ago by a MP tech guy I was camping next to at the Gator nationals.

image.png

Here you go.

I can't help you with the header ordeal. I mess mainly with 67-76 A-bodies.But I want to ask, did you verify that it is a MP 284/484 cam? If it is I was going to suggest you install it @ 104 Center Line. That is where that cam always worked the best for me and was advised to do this over 20-25 years ago by a MP tech guy I was camping next to at the Gator nationals.

I'm going to have to ask the guy who put it in years ago. He just told me 484, but I'll phone him and let you know what I find out.

-
Back