Nicks Garage, 572 HEMI, Here we go....

-
Yeah no kiddin. No tellin how much that thing cost the guy. I wouldda done a complete teardown and inspection and replaced and repaired as necessary. It was beyond stupid.
None of that was necessary in this case if the seller had of put me in touch with the buyer. In the beginning of the video, they say they were told it made 750hp and then Nick says his dyno is conservative, and then they confess that they have the dyno sheets but they want to see what it makes. If they had a little bit of investigative skill they could have just looked at the top of the dyno sheets and seen all my info and called me. Oh and I know the seller would have provided ALL documentation including the detailed 4 page invoice with all measurements and part numbers and specs. Unless this was just a set up clickbait- hey let's ruin this guy's engine for views and I can make more off a rebuild/multi part series type of deal. Pretty sure this is BS for Youboob, but still probably hurt that engine for no reason. J.Rob

None of that was necessary in this case if the seller had of put me in touch with the buyer. In the beginning of the video, they say they were told it made 750hp and then Nick says his dyno is conservative, and then they confess that they have the dyno sheets but they want to see what it makes. If they had a little bit of investigative skill they could have just looked at the top of the dyno sheets and seen all my info and called me. Oh and I know the seller would have provided ALL documentation including the detailed 4 page invoice with all measurements and part numbers and specs. Unless this was just a set up clickbait- hey let's ruin this guy's engine for views and I can make more off a rebuild/multi part series type of deal. Pretty sure this is BS for Youboob, but still probably hurt that engine for no reason. J.Rob
Couldn't have done it a bit of good.

I’m not gonna waste my time or reward that kind of behavior watching that mess. But… I am thankful for everyone here that took one for the rest of us by playing “ WE WATCHED NICK’S GARAGE LATEST DEBACLE, SO YOU DONT HAVE TOO!” It no doubt becomes like watching a train wreck at some point.

View attachment 1716286195
crock.jpg

Especially for someone who hasn't built a engine in decades. Time has past that guy on by
I couldn't find much on him building race engines, seems like most of his work is just research according to him which would probably leave holes in some of his theories if you don't test outside a flowbench and dyno room.

No tellin how much that thing cost the guy.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a trade - let me show your engine on youtube and I'll do it for free. The old guy probably thought it would be easy money - put it on the dyno, fire it up, vroom vroom, see 700 hp, youtube gold. That might explain why he kept pushing and pushing instead of just fixing things.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a trade - let me show your engine on youtube and I'll do it for free. The old guy probably thought it would be easy money - put it on the dyno, fire it up, vroom vroom, see 700 hp, youtube gold. That might explain why he kept pushing and pushing instead of just fixing things.
Naw, he messes up a lot.. he did a small block mopar and went to advance the timing, turned the dist the wrong way then was like.. welp.. guess that's all the power it's got..

Naw, he messes up a lot.. he did a small block mopar and went to advance the timing, turned the dist the wrong way then was like.. welp.. guess that's all the power it's got..
It takes a genius I guess.

Yeah I've never watched him.

I've been watching his videos for a while now, the older ones are pretty good but as the years have gone by, he's gone Hollywood. All show no go.

There’s no telling what some people will enjoy for entertainment.
In my mind, I find it incomprehensible that tv shows like big brother and the bachelorette keep coming back.
But some people luv that chit.

And I’m sure some people luv watching Nick on YT.

Even this site if it was all just pure data, wouldn't last long.

1723062503879.png

We all want certain level of entertainment, some are just a little more Jerry Springer than others, conflict is the easiest form of adding drama.

1723062744053.png

What amazes me is that he had other gearheads there as well. No one new it was 180 out. Only in Hollywood they say. I've never watched Nicks Videos or seen his work but I don't think I'll be watching anything else. This sure has hurt his Business

Well, I watched it.
I guess after reading all the posts here I was expecting the worst.
In my mind, the main thing I was surprised at was how long it took to check the distributor phasing.

As for the carb woes, If it had been an engine that had one carb, he would have just swapped it out for one of his shop carbs, and done some testing.

Chit can happen when an unknown engine shows up, and you expect things to be a certain way, and it turns out they’re not that way.

Not all dyno sessions go off without a hitch.

Looks like they’ve decided to squeeze at least one more video out of that thing.

Well, I watched it.
I guess after reading all the posts here I was expecting the worst.
In my mind, the main thing I was surprised at was how long it took to check the distributor phasing.

As for the carb woes, If it had been an engine that had one carb, he would have just swapped it out for one of his shop carbs, and done some testing.

Chit can happen when an unknown engine shows up, and you expect things to be a certain way, and it turns out they’re not that way.

Not all dyno sessions go off without a hitch.

Looks like they’ve decided to squeeze at least one more video out of that thing.
I don't think anyone has been overly hard on Nick.
Distributor position and overall ignition system is thee very first thing to get verified in my dyno sessions. The second thing is carb float level/leaks are looked at. Third is valvetrain.

I've had troubles but never to the degree we all just witnessed. I am very interested in the upcoming videos and I AM invested in this as I am the the engine builder that un-F!@#$% it from the original builder. When I finished with that engine it ran SO DAMN good it hurts to see it not given a fair shake. I am sure it will be portrayed as a piece of junk that is need of Nick's help. J.Rob

I don't think anyone has been overly hard on Nick.
Distributor position and overall ignition system is thee very first thing to get verified in my dyno sessions. The second thing is carb float level/leaks are looked at. Third is valvetrain.

I've had troubles but never to the degree we all just witnessed. I am very interested in the upcoming videos and I AM invested in this as I am the the engine builder that un-F!@#$% it from the original builder. When I finished with that engine it ran SO DAMN good it hurts to see it not given a fair shake. I am sure it will be portrayed as a piece of junk that is need of Nick's help. J.Rob
So what on Earth do you think happened to it? How in the heck did it end up missing on four cylinders?

So what on Earth do you think happened to it? How in the heck did it end up missing on four cylinders?
The customer I built it for took posession of it December 2020, I really don't know what it has gone through from then until now. All I would hear is how much of an animal it was from his personal mechanic that works on his car collection. Only idea I have is that the carbs are gunked up from no use and all of the backfiring caused the plugs to foul immediately. Look at all the smoke escaping the exhaust--Can you say over fueled and washed/glazed cylinder walls? Maybe even scuffed skirts. I'm sure he will get to the bottom of it, in the next couple of video installments. J.Rob

All I would hear is how much of an animal it was from his personal mechanic that works on his car collection.

I take it the motor was in the car and running then.

You have to wonder why the distributor would have gotten pulled out, then reinstalled 180 out.
Obviously, it hadn’t run since whenever that happened.

What did you end up using for an ignition box when you ran it?

The bottom line is, once the owners take possession of them……..you have no idea what happens.

Last edited:
I take it the motor was in the car and running then.

You have to wonder why the distributor would have gotten pulled out, then reinstalled 180 out.
Obviously, it hadn’t run since whenever that happened.

What did you end up using for an ignition box when you ran it?

The bottom line is, once the owners take possession of them……..you have no idea what happens.
Yes the engine went into a 70's Challenger and was driven to some car shows and cruise nights. I went to his place on intial fire up in spring of 2021 and it was anti-climatic to say the least.

I do want to know why the distributor was removed at all. The only think I can think of is maybe they primed it? And then didn't check timing? That makes no sense.

The ignition box is the 6AL-2 Programmable that Nick eventually hooks up in the video--Yes it has a custom curve in it and unless he is capable of hooking up a laptop and looking at it, he is better off to run it off his box and just run the locked out distributor, or change the distributor to a conventional one. The distributor should have never been touched in the first place. I also don't see the seller ever having the distributor out...So..... J.Rob

Dist could have been something as simple as pulling it to get out of the way when pulling the engine then just throwing it back in the hole..

-
Back