Shift Kit

-
alright great, I'll get that done when I get back from school and start putting everything back together. Is there any torque specs when bolting the VB back into the trans or just tight?

It's always best to torque them since your dealing with aluminum that warps fairly easy. If you have a inch lb. torque wrench torque them to 100~105 in. lbs. The pan bolts get torqued to 150 inch. lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench snug them up real good, but not too crazy.

I've got a good inch pound torque wrench luckily.
Ok I got the hole drilled, I'll get it in tomorrow since it's dark now and I work under a tree lol Hopefully everything will go well

alright so I'm assembling the VB right now and I seem to be missing the shuttle valve but what's weird is that I've kept everything together so I'm not quite sure where it would have gone and I checked the other VB I have (from an 84 904) and it doesn't have it either. Is it only on some and not on others or do I need to find this thing?

alright so I'm assembling the VB right now and I seem to be missing the shuttle valve but what's weird is that I've kept everything together so I'm not quite sure where it would have gone and I checked the other VB I have (from an 84 904) and it doesn't have it either. Is it only on some and not on others or do I need to find this thing?

All I've ever saw had a shuttle valve. Are you sure your not over looking it? The shuttle valve is a valve held in place by a E-clip. It's right under the cover on the top of the valve body that has 6 screws holding it on.

ah yes that's it, I got confused with the diagram. Alright that's reassuring as I can stop ram-shacking my apartment lol. I'm a little tripped out with the plug and spring though, just seems to sit in there and rattles around but that's how it came. Last thing to do is to replace the spring behind the servo and stick everything back in!
I ordered that book the other day too, hopefully it'll arrive soon

LOL... I did the same thing on one of the 1st ones I did. That's why I mentioned it.

That's a real good book. Got tons of great info. Even shows the installation of the TF-2 kit.

Ya I'm looking forward to my first rebuild. My other 904 is an 84 I think, lockup, is there any downside to rebuilding the 84 904 compared to my 72? Only reason I'd rebuild the in the car is it's all matching numbers but I'm not advert to the idea, I am dropping a magnum in eventually :p lol

To be honest I don't know 904's well enough to know any differences there might be between the yrs. I mostly do 727's. Maybe some of the other guys can answer that.

gotcha, I may pick up a 727, or an a518 still haven't decided yet lol decisions decisions decisions.

This was the result of and improperly installed shift kit. Going from second to drive at high RPM's.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 136
gotcha, I may pick up a 727, or an a518 still haven't decided yet lol decisions decisions decisions.

If you don't have something real high power and torque I would keep the 904. A 904 is more efficient and will take a lot of power if built right. Some of the same tricks to building up a 727 apply to a 904 such as using thin clutch plates to get more in the carrier, setting clearances and end play, etc... An OD is really nice but their a lot of work (and expense) to install since the floor and crossmember has to be re-worked.

Wow! What did it do, lock up and go sideways? Hopefully the driver came out ok but by the look of it... it don't look good

I saw that one awhile back and if I remember right that's exactly what happened.
Should have been better testdriven I guess.

Didn't really know what happened except for the Marks and the one passenger that lived. A tail shaft was put on this trans and installed it in a Challenger .It did the same thing. Worked perfect until you wound second tight and shifted drive.The Challenger went off the road into a field and didn't hit anything. Luckly I had nothing to do with the trans in either car. I just sold the family the Demon and the Challenger. A shop in Allentown did the work. After they bought the cars. He was 17 and he was killed instantly. the pics of the car are after the doors were opened and one removed. and the roof was cut and folded back to remove the teens.

holy tits batman. Well that really makes me feel comfortable now lol no worries though.
Oh so you shift it into second, burn out and then into drive and it cause that?

alright I'm about to do the servo mod, 72 inch pounds and back it off 4 turns since it's a double wrap. TF-2 says 3 1/2 oddly, if it's tighter does is shift differently?

Stick with the 904 just get the upgraded parts for it instead of buying a 727 and upgrading it , Thanks to the help of our dynamic duo of torqueflites I built my first one last year and drove it 11,000 km in 2 weeks with no problems behind my 525hp stroker , TCS Products here in the Great White North make billet steel and aluminum front drums with a relocated retainer ring groove that allow you to use an extra clutch with the fat clutches instead of going to the skinny plates ,in fact in trying to get the right clearance I actually was able to mix and match the different thickness plates and steels to end up with another clutch which they assured me was quite often the case with the relocated groove , my point being for the same bucks you can build a trans that is evewry bit as strong as a built up 727 but with less rotating mass = less wasted power . Thanks again Trailbeast and fishy for all your help - hope the shirts fit alright .

^pretty cool, I may order that when I do the rebuild

alright so I can't get the servo arm out of the way, that bar that retains that you have to remove, I can't find it lol the servo arm looks nothing like that one, it's one long piece with a curve in it. It looks like this
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ed_automatic_transmission_build/photo_04.html

alright well I'm at a loss, I can't figure out how to get the apart without dropping the tail shaft off.

alright I got the new spring in without pulling the tail housing, had to use some magic there lol
I can't get the cup up and then get the snap ring in place. I've been dicking with the thing for almost and hour now to no avail, is there some trick to this?

I would push the spring cover down and start the snap ring in the grove and work my way around it.
I don't think I ever used anything but my hands for that.

I got it, I'll have to post pictures of how I did it too lol some more of my magic
I was but for some reason I couldn't get it to go, maybe I was just being stupid at first :smile:

Alright here's how I got it in lol
Used my jack and a screw driver to hold up one side and the arm the other side, worked very well.
GOPR0019_zps792ba1bd.jpg

GOPR0020_zps7578d823.jpg

Ok and referencing back a bit here's a pic of the shavings I was talking about, not that decernable with the pictures but none are bigger than like 1/16 of an inch and most are little dots. Trans hadn't been cleaned out in awhile either I think.

GOPR0023_zps97478c8a.jpg

GOPR0022_zps3e42c1cb.jpg

woohoo lol I'll keep an eye on it though when I do fluid changes, gonna throw a magnet in there too.
Alright, time to go button her up and see what happens

Edit:
Alright how should I start the thing up, in terms of should I start the car in neutral so that it pumps fluid through it and then check it and top it off?

All done, time to go in!
GOPR0028_zps595a5689.jpg

-
Back