Slant 6 Turbo 68Dart Project

-
gonna turbo the 318? just a little 8-10psi? lol.

Lol. No. I don't even know where to begin with the 318. I know a few of the valve stem seals are leaky, so I'll likely need to dismount the heads and do a valve job. The girflriend is not into going fast - you know - at all, so it won't be an issue to be left alone. The turbo slant is the fun car.

Lol. No. I don't even know where to begin with the 318. I know a few of the valve stem seals are leaky, so I'll likely need to dismount the heads and do a valve job. The girflriend is not into going fast - you know - at all, so it won't be an issue to be left alone. The turbo slant is the fun car.

Small four barrel and performer intake. :)

for the 318, I'd just port the heads a bit, since you're taking them off anyway, the 318s are good motors stock, I wouldn't worry too much.

My dash covers came in. This is a great $200 investment. I also wrapped most of the dash with the brushed aluminum I have, and added new chrome since I had to strip the old stuff, and mounted an SRT6 emblem. I have not adhered the dash covers yet. They seem to just sit there without glue. I'm not quite ready to glue them down till I finish the dash face. But the difference is night and day.

That was before. Now it's this:

I got my girlfriend a huge vinyl plotter as a late christmas/ early birthday present so she could work from home and eventually (maybe) quit a job that she hates over in San Francisco.

Otherwise it's extra cash to help her stay motivated. But she reworked the Slant 6 Turbo emblems I had made by someone else earlier. They are super badass. So if you want one my fellow turbo slanters, it's $15.00 shipped to your door for this particular one, which is 13" wide by about 2 1/4" tall at the tip of the "6". If you want a smaller version to fit somehwere, let me know. Can be blue, yellow, white, black, or red. Can print larger even, and prices would vary on that. Help a girl out.

She can also make a variety of other stuff as well. Maybe she'll let some of the money fund my purchasing of a new Holset...

IMG_20150204_185957_zpsiggwcpjf.jpg

I got my girlfriend a huge vinyl plotter as a late christmas/ early birthday present so she could work from home and eventually (maybe) quit a job that she hates over in San Francisco.

Otherwise it's extra cash to help her stay motivated. But she reworked the Slant 6 Turbo emblems I had made by someone else earlier. They are super badass. So if you want one my fellow turbo slanters, it's $15.00 shipped to your door for this particular one, which is 13" wide by about 2 1/4" tall at the tip of the "6". If you want a smaller version to fit somehwere, let me know. Can be blue, yellow, white, black, or red. Can print larger even, and prices would vary on that. Help a girl out.

She can also make a variety of other stuff as well. Maybe she'll let some of the money fund my purchasing of a new Holset...

IMG_20150204_185957_zpsiggwcpjf.jpg

I love it! Gotta have one of those...

Broke a tooth (no dental insurance) but as soon as I find out what fixing my mouth is going to cost, I'll be ordering a -pair of those.. IMAGNATIVE!!!!

Show her this (my design) :wack:

Attachments

• 100_3649.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 349
Well BIll hope you get that all sorted out. Can't imagine that's any fun. And we'll be sure to keep a pair of them on hand. I have always liked your design. But don't want to be a copycat. lol. It's just super simple and to the point.

Alright, are you familiar with compressor maps?
(This is something that is REALLY important, yet I've never heard them mentioned when it comes to turbo slants here. I'm not even sure how many know about reading them. Just an interesting observation.)

And what are your plans for this new setup? Same as before?

Alright, are you familiar with compressor maps?
(This is something that is REALLY important, yet I've never heard them mentioned when it comes to turbo slants here. I'm not even sure how many know about reading them. Just an interesting observation.)

And what are your plans for this new setup? Same as before?

I am still learning everything i can read about how efficient different turbos are and in what RPM range and temp.

As far as the setup, it will remain the same, but replace the Chinese turbo with a higher quality, and possibly smaller unit. This one spools close to 2600RPM, so it is only making positive pressure from 2600-3500 RPM and after that I don't really push the car past that in normal driving, so something that kicked in sooner would be better for my style of operation.

I may also be adding the MSD system and a boost control/ retard unit.

Well BIll hope you get that all sorted out. Can't imagine that's any fun. And we'll be sure to keep a pair of them on hand. I have always liked your design. But don't want to be a copycat. lol. It's just super simple and to the point.

Thanks, David. I'll get it al together pretty soon (dental appt, Tuesday.):banghead:

What...no burnouts?
Still, pretty nice video.

I...I... can't do a burnout. I either don't know how or the car won't do one. Every time i mash the gas from a stop the car links right up to the ground and starts moving... it won't even work with a brake stall

I...I... can't do a burnout. I either don't know how or the car won't do one. Every time i mash the gas from a stop the car links right up to the ground and starts moving... it won't even work with a brake stall

You need to be able to isolate the front brakes and control them with a Line-Loc to do a burnout. If you don't have a Line Loc, it's a lot harder...

Once you have the front wheels (brakes) locked, it's easy to just apply power to the rear wheels, after adding some soapy water under the tires, shift the tranny into second, and have at it.... the smoke will just roll...:cheers:

But, tires are expensive... lol!:eek:ops:

wow i really liked that video. the song just seemed to fit the video perfectly. I even liked the camera falling off the hood

wow i really liked that video. the song just seemed to fit the video perfectly. I even liked the camera falling off the hood

I didn't clean the hood before hand and the camera mount tumbled off. I kind of liked it looking up at the fan running so I left it in. lol

You need to be able to isolate the front brakes and control them with a Line-Loc to do a burnout. If you don't have a Line Loc, it's a lot harder...

Once you have the front wheels (brakes) locked, it's easy to just apply power to the rear wheels, after adding some soapy water under the tires, shift the tranny into second, and have at it.... the smoke will just roll...:cheers:

But, tires are expensive... lol!:eek:ops:

:wack: My warmed over slant with 265 BFG T/As will easily create clouds by foot-braking. As a matter of fact, spin starts after the converter stalls at around 15-1700. Shoot, I can even punch it from a *small* roll (5mph?) and spin a little. No need for them fancy line lock dohickys, but windshield washer fluid will help make a sunny day cloudy :glasses7:

:wack: My warmed over slant with 265 BFG T/As will easily create clouds by foot-braking. As a matter of fact, spin starts after the converter stalls at around 15-1700. Shoot, I can even punch it from a *small* roll (5mph?) and spin a little. No need for them fancy line lock dohickys, but windshield washer fluid will help make a sunny day cloudy :glasses7:

Brandon,

I never had a car with rear brakes that would allow that. I always made sure that my rear brakes held well enough that I could do a full-throttle stall with no tendency to creep through the lights and red light. Sometimes, that took re-engineering the geometry of the foot pedal/master cylinder interface, sometimes larger-diameter wheel cylinders, sometimes, a smaller-diameter master cylinder piston for the rear brakes, and sometimes, the use of organic shoe material. I am looking around for some 3-inch-wide rear drums/shoes/backing plates from a C-body, for this slant 6 car, to assist in this effort. because a full-throttle stall is what I need for this turbo spool. At 3,000 rpm, it has plenty of torque, at 2,500 it has zilch...

So, in my case, a line loc is a necessity... too hard to try to regulate the pedal pressure on this bucket of bolts...

Theere are lots of ways to skin a cat... lol!

The 318 Dart we have will let go of traction easy, but the 68 won't. It just hooks right up to the road and moves. I don't have a problem with that though.

I just scored a Garrett T3 for a replacement turbo. It should be easy enough to plumb in into the same spot. $180 and supposed to be no in/out left/right shaft play, and no broken/ bent fins. It came off a 300 Turbo Diesel. It will probably spool just as fast as what I have, but without the risk of a failure like what Rusty suffered (hopefully) then I can hang onto the China turbo as a backup.

Dave,
Pick n Pull is having a half off sale for "Members" this weekend.
Now that your Dart is done :)

Mike

We're ditching one of my dad's cars there tomorrow, and last time i went to the FF location, there was not a single thing I needed. I like going though.

We're ditching one of my dad's cars there tomorrow, and last time i went to the FF location, there was not a single thing I needed. I like going though.

Me too. Like looking around in person to see what they have. The online search feature is great. I spent many many hours driving yard to yard to yard on weekends looking for cars. Now I can look it up in a few minutes.

-
Back