Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
will ya get rid of that one already? That dude scares me. lol
I think this was the final revision...

BF1FCA60-DE5E-4235-A156-27D4BDDE1339.jpeg

I don't really backup. Nothing on here that important. All I use it for is a browser really. This one is really beat up from the shop. Lasted three years though. Usually get a year out of them. I go cheap and buy refurbished. Pretty lucky so far.

When transferring large amounts of files I use one of these.
Just unplug the data cable from the computers hard drive, plug this in and power up the computer. (it won't boot, we just want the hard drive powered up)
Then plug the USB end into the laptop and the computer's hard drive shows up in the laptop as another drive.
Then just copy and paste anything you want to move.
I also use it to recover stuff from a non bootable system, as it gives direct access to the drive with another computer or laptop even though there is no functional operating system.
SATA/PATA/IDE 2.5 3.0 to USB 2.0 Cable Serial ATA Adapter For HDD/SSD Hard Drive 5075684375947 | eBay

When transferring large amounts of files I use one of these.
Just unplug the data cable from the computers hard drive, plug this in and power up the computer. (it won't boot, we just want the hard drive powered up)
Then plug the USB end into the laptop and the computer's hard drive shows up in the laptop as another drive.
Then just copy and paste anything you want to move.
I also use it to recover stuff from a non bootable system, as it gives direct access to the drive with another computer or laptop even though there is no functional operating system.
SATA/PATA/IDE 2.5 3.0 to USB 2.0 Cable Serial ATA Adapter For HDD/SSD Hard Drive 5075684375947 | eBay

Trail .. You da man :thumbsup:

Hell I have tree others that are dead with pics on it. I will let you know how it worked out!

Hell I have tree others that are dead with pics on it. I will let you know how it worked out!
You can take a harddrive out of a dead computer and connect it as an external to another computer, as long as the harddrive itself is not the reason the computer died

They have SATA to USB cables on Ebay for dirt cheap that also have power connector

Last edited:
You can take ac harddrive out of a dead computer and connect it as an external to another computer, as long as the harddrive itself is not the reason the computer died

They have SATA to USB cables on Ebay for dirt cheap that also have power connector

Yep, posted that above and with the cable you don't even have to take the HD out.
Just connect the cable while it's in the computer and let it's power supply power up the drive.
The power adapter that comes with some of the cables is nice in case you just have a bare HD out of a computer and want to connect it to a laptop.

So I have a ded laptop ust plug it into the usb port and it should fire the hardrive up? I am not good with this stuff. If it was only in ASCI!

So I have a ded laptop ust plug it into the usb port and it should fire the hardrive up? I am not good with this stuff. If it was only in ASCI!
Ouch you could try that. I don't think it will work though. Completely dead? Power supply shoot craps?

Toyota tundra shows up. Abs issue. Axles. Brake pads.
No biggie. Just finished my inspection. $2500 worth of work.
Didnt see that coming...

Resupplied with Café du Monde while in Phx. Monday coffee is covered for 2019. Must get the brat in law to clear a corner of his garage to keep a Phx designated motorcicle. It was sure nice riding weather and the 2 wheeler was calling me in a loud and clear fashion :lol:

If the HD is still ok then you would need to remove the drive (easy on laptops) and power it with the supplied power supply with the cable and adapter setup I posted.
Then with the removed HD powered up just plug in the HD with the supplied SATA cable and into your USB port on the computer you use to access the removed drive.

Last edited:
Sometimes the CMOS battery goes bad on the motherboard. Some you can replace and some you can't.

You can take a harddrive out of a dead computer and connect it as an external to another computer, as long as the harddrive itself is not the reason the computer died

The last one I did that with DID have a problem with the hard drive. When I plugged it in the new computer 'fixed' it and was able to recover everything. :thumbsup:
My problem now is I have a few old hard drives laying around and no clue what I saved elsewhere. Need to go through everything and organize old files (mostly pics ) in one place without duplicates. Just hasn't moved high enough on the to do list to take time to do it. Only thing I noticed I am missing is some early build pics from the Duster. Think they might have died with the camera or phone I had at the time, or they are on a SD card that is MIA. Not terribly important anymore. Just details I wish I had putting it back together.

-
Back