Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Mustang madness today.
I have a feeling this isnt going to be any fun. I think the aftermarket motor mount is going to interfere with the rack mount.

@toolmanmike
I saw Cedar Rapids on the news yesterday. What a catastrophe. Looked like the mess Katrina left behind.
Yes, It was a beautiful city until the storm went through. Hiawatha (north Cedar Rapids) was hit hard with 106 mph straight line winds for about a half hour. We weren't effected as the storm was further south. You can see crop damage start about 15 miles south of Waterloo and it gets worse the further south you go.

wind map.jpg

@toolmanmike
I saw Cedar Rapids on the news yesterday. What a catastrophe. Looked like the mess Katrina left behind.
yeah and because its a flyover state, the main stream isn't covering it very much. A couple sentences here or there. They're estimating 14 million acres of corn and soybeans were destroyed. Iowa is one of the top 3 crop producing states in the US and the world for that matter, and thats not counting the number of crops lost when several grain bins and silos went with the wind. Given grocery prices were already thru the roof this year with covid, its gonna go up even more.

Yes, It was a beautiful city until the storm went through. Hiawatha (north Cedar Rapids) was hit hard with 106 mph straight line winds for about a half hour. We weren't effected as the storm was further south. You can see crop damage start about 15 miles south of Waterloo and it gets worse the further south you go.

View attachment 1715580212

Stuff like that makes me appreciate the 40 and 50mph paint stripping, chrome wrecking, windshield pitting winds we had in the desert.

Ewww just had a wicked thought about the ready mix plants i used to run, most of which had a cement silo sticking 60' up and usually with 50 tons of cement in them and a wind like that. :eek:

yeah and because its a flyover state, the main stream isn't covering it very much. A couple sentences here or there. They're estimating 14 million acres of corn and soybeans were destroyed. Iowa is one of the top 3 crop producing states in the US and the world for that matter, and thats not counting the number of crops lost when several grain bins and silos went with the wind. Given grocery prices were already thru the roof this year with covid, its gonna go up even more.
Ewww just had a wicked thought about the ready mix plants i used to run, most of which had a cement silo sticking 60' up and usually with 50 tons of cement in them and a wind like that. :eek:
Yep!!!!!

silo.jpg

silo2.jpg

corn field.jpg

As a farmer these pictures just rip my heart out. The second and third tier consequences of this agricultural destruction are immeasurable.
There was a lot of last years crop lost in the grain bin damage as well as the flattened present crop. Iowa grows about 20% of the world's corn.

Vandenberg_AFB_SLC-6_under_construction_in_November_1982_-_DF-ST-83-08606.jpg

The flattened mound there in the upper left was where we stored our form lumber when we were remodeling SLC 6 at Vandenberg. My concrete plant right next to those yellow refer trailers/shop. One afternoon I just happened to look up at the boneyard above us and 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood were flying through the air like the leaves off your maple tree in the fall.

There was a lot of last years crop lost in the grain bin damage as well as the flattened present crop. Iowa grows about 20% of the world's corn.
i've long said i agree with the theory that history repeats, I think we're starting to re-live the period similar of 1920-1940. I really do. Too many similarities.

i've long said i agree with the theory that history repeats, I think we're starting to re-live the period similar of 1920-1940. I really do. Too many similarities.

Interesting you mention that. The weatheristas were mentioning yesterday that many of the extremely high temperatures from the last few days in numerous areas haven't been seen since somewhere in the 1920s.

This is from a tornado but a powerful image none the less.
Interesting you mention that. The weatheristas were mentioning yesterday that many of the extremely high temperatures from the last few days in numerous areas haven't been seen since somewhere in the 1920s.
I heard that too. Cyclical it is.

Yep. It's also why I think we're in for some very rough years over the next decade.

In highschool, I had a teacher, Mr Lewis, hilarious teacher and there's few teachers who I can remember lectures from, he's one of them. His style was so different and abstract that it sticks. Anyway, we were studying the Grapes of Wrath and the Great Depression in which it is based. I remember him saying this one thing, over and over. "If history does in fact repeat itself and we find ourselves in another Great Depression, it will be far worse than the first as people are more urbanized and less self sufficient than they were leading up to the Great Depression". It wouldn't be until I started studying demographics years later that I figured out what he meant by that. Back in the late 1800s thru the 1920s, according to census data shows up to 90% of the population lived on a farm or raised/grew their own food. As of 2010, that percentage is down to just under 1%. so if we have some bad economic years and happen to have bad weather in the plains.... LOOK OUT

View attachment 1715580224
The flattened mound there in the upper left was where we stored our form lumber when we were remodeling SLC 6 at Vandenberg. My concrete plant right next to those yellow refer trailers/shop. One afternoon I just happened to look up at the boneyard above us and 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood were flying through the air like the leaves off your maple tree in the fall.
How did you know I have a maple tree? :rolleyes:

Good Morning

-
Back