Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
A 1/2 oz or less for sampling. You might try a half dozen barrels before finding a exceptional one. (if you go to the distillery) The distilleries can send 3 samples to the sponsor store. That's what we did for the last 3 picks. You only get 3 choices though. If you don't like them the distillery has to send out more. Here's 3 bourbons and 3 ryes from Driftless Glen.
You can taste, spit, rinse, and repeat. That's how the distillery blenders do it.

View attachment 1715885621
Where’s Karl when ya need him? Spitter vs swallow? Rinse repeat? He would be all over that!

Not yet. All I need is storage. It doesn't need to be kept cool necessarily.

View attachment 1715885622

That brought a question in my inquisitive mind. Since corked wine bottles are stored on their side to keep the cork partly saturated and stave off the wine spoiling. Were corked liquor bottles stored similarly before the advent of screw on tops? Elderly minds need to know :lol:

A little Irish Coffee should steady the hand. :rolleyes:
You read my mind

1646923908698751411049808931413.jpg

That brought a question in my inquisitive mind. Since corked wine bottles are stored on their side to keep the cork partly saturated and stave off the wine spoiling. Were corked liquor bottles stored similarly before the advent of screw on tops? Elderly minds need to know :lol:
Good question. Spirits were kept in a barrel before they started bottling them and then they were sealed with a cork. The higher proof alcohol in spirits will break down the cork so it needs to be kept dry. Just the cheap stuff has screw caps. And every now and then you break a cork. Pour it out into another bottle or jar and fish the cork out. (or just leave the juice in the mason jar. That's a fun conversation starter)

Was talking to a guy over at FBBO a while ago. Told me he made wooden cars. Asked if I was interested in a 66 satellite. Sure. Got this yesterday. Not sure I ga

20220310_065328.jpg

So you keep your juice in a mason jar? In liquid nitrogen to preserve it?
You can take Everclear or even vodka and age it in a jar with some toasted oak chips. It's fun. This is Wheatley's Vodka on toasted oak.

Wheatley's on oak day 2.jpg

House took 4 hours to warm up. The furnace is a little light on btu’s. 10 Kw, should be 20. But hydro service into house is only 100 amp due to buried cable.
Thats why i run the pellet stove.

shop is cold too, electric heat was off, just pellet stove running. So it went out.
Another coffee while shop warms up,then back to floor pan.

Morning snowing ere overnight. Shouldn't be much 4-7 inches of snow they say.
60's starting Sunday through the next ten days. It won't be here long.
Hopefully it's the last snow of the season.
4 inches of snow here this morning and -3 outside. should be 50 by the weekend.

J brings them back from Wisconson for us on ocassion. Good stuff. We put full garlic cloves in them and roll them in rosemary and slow cook on the bbq Man they are good.

Cannot find them here at all.

There was a time when tri tip was the main stay of ground sirloin :realcrazy:. Nobody wants these funny lookin' hunks of meat. Grind 'em up. When I moved up here in '80 and discovered them after some practice I BBQed some for my MIL the caterer, she loved them. I could get them for $.99/lbs here, she found one butcher shop in in a very high rent part of San Diego that had them and they were $10/lbs :lol: And some good smoke never hurts either. No, not that kinda smoke. Oak, Hickory, Mesquite kinda smoke.

Last edited:
-
Back