Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
yep! I we put about 26 rounds through the bess including 4 buck and ball. Marc shot about a little over half dozen cartridges through his bess and then tried see where his jeager rifle was hitting. That's what the bullseye target was for.

I was shooting left lane and was initially low as you can see here.
View attachment 1715889645
Way cool, last time we did that we got greedy and shot way longer than we should have. My shoulder was sore for days! We had a blast, I powder burned my jacket! Hah! What an idiot, I was not thinking we were having so much fun!

39EA680A-70CB-4C11-8953-558B9F0D0B08.jpeg

Looks like a righteous day for sure. How’s the shoulder?
Fine. The kick is really not bad at all. Jacket and vest over a flannel shirt and a t-shirt was plenty of padding. The guns balance reasonably well - a little front heavy with the bayonet. I think the game commission frowns on shooting with those - I didn't even bring it.

Way cool, last time we did that we got greedy and shot way longer than we should have. My shoulder was sore for days! We had a blast, I powder burned my jacket! Hah! What an idiot, I was not thinking we were having so much fun!

View attachment 1715889647
Oh geez.
Only damage was after cleaning, got the back of a finger with the flint when putting the musket back in its case. :rolleyes:

Well I'll check my jacket later, maybe I just didn't notice.

here's mine. I brought it home. Marc wasnt sure where these came from. Probably training.
upload_2022-3-16_18-26-34.png

I was aiming right and apparently they were hitting right. Well now I know. Aim straight and most will land more or less centered.
.69 in paper allowed quick and easy loading. I'm sure a tighter fit would increase accuracy a bit. But heck there's no rear sight so...

Last edited:
here's mine. I brought it home. Marc wasnt sure where these came from. Probably training.
View attachment 1715889648
I was aiming right and apparently they were hitting right. Well now I know. Aim straight and most will land more or less centered.
.69 in paper allowed quick and easy loading. I'm sure a tighter fit would increase accuracy a bit. But heck there's rear sight so...

No rear sight and no rifling......so an area weapon on a marginal day

No rear sight and no rifling......so an area weapon on a marginal day
Yup. Surely the 18th cent version of a 'firepower' weapon for the infantryman.
And I'll tell you I was nowhere capable of even 3 shots a minute a today, never mind four. More like 1 ever 4 minutes LOL. I just wanted to hit the target. :)
Lots of futzing will be needed with the lock to get it working smoother and reliably. Hole through the hammer (frizzen) isn't even square to barrel. Also I'm going to try turning down the ramrod. Kindof like repro parts for our cars - alsmost never quite as good as the originals.

Yup. Surely the 18th cent version of a 'firepower' weapon.
And I'll tell you I was nowhere capable of even 3 shots a minute a today, never mind four. LOL. I just wanted to hit the target. :)
Lots of futzing will be needed with the lock to get it working smoother and reliably. Hole through the hammer (frizzen) isn't even square to barrel. Also I'm going to try turning down the ramrod. Kindof like repro parts for our cars - alsmost never quite as good as the originals.

Yeah not even close. Originals are so much lighter in weight although the military contract muskets were most likely hit or miss (pun intended) No interchangeable parts and each a bit unique.

My Harper's Ferry 1795 .69 (reproduction) is on loan to the Park ... but I have my 1803 Contract Rifle here that has the Corps of Discovery modifications to it.

Yeah not even close. Originals are so much lighter in weight although the military contract muskets were most likely hit or miss (pun intended) No interchangeable parts and each a bit unique
At least the ones that got accepted by the royal armories worked! Some of the machining on this one is mediocre - off center and off kilters holes. The ones we had from the 1970s were generally better in that respect.

There is no taper on this ramrod, makes it real tight when dirty. Was looking at a newer Japanese repop and that one, while cruder in many ways, had a better ramrod.

At least the ones that got accepted by the royal armories worked! Some of the machining on this one is mediocre - off center and off kilters holes. The ones we had from the 1970s were generally better in that respect.

Indian built? Definitely hit or miss and need proofing in most instances. I had one before that was for "powder burn" demonstrations only. Very reliable spark but I could literally see the inconsistency in the barrel casting.... I would not have put a live round through there.

Indian built? Definitely hit or miss and need proofing in most instances. I had one before that was for "powder burn" demonstrations only. Very reliable spark but I could literally see the inconsistency in the barrel casting.... I would not have put a live round through there.
Mine's actually a Italian Pedersoli, and generally considered a fairly decent reproduction. I haven't looked into when it was made but guessing later 1980s or 90s.

Mine's actually a Italian Pedersoli, and generally considered a fairly decent reproduction. I haven't looked into when it was made but guessing later 1980s or 90s.

Interesting.... Usually their quality is much higher. At least the price tends to be.

I have seen some videos and had discussions with folks that walk through the inconsistencies in the modern reproductions. Some are nearly unrecognizable, especially in stock and frizzen/**** design. Stock nose is usually all wrong

Interesting.... Usually their quality is much higher. At least the price tends to be.

I have seen some videos and had discussions with folks that walk through the inconsistencies in the modern reproductions. Some are nearly unrecognizable, especially in stock and frizzen/**** design. Stock nose is usually all wrong

Yes. But the reproduction serve well enough for 90% of what they get used for. it's cool that people do try to do better.
Here's an example of an off center hole. Almost broke through the side of the boss.
upload_2022-3-16_18-58-33.png

Ha. Now you made me look in Goldstien & Mowbray's book to see what an original looked like.
upload_2022-3-16_19-10-56.png

Yes. But the reproduction serve well enough for 90% of what they get used for. it's cool that people do try to do better.
Here's an example of an off center hole. Almost broke through the side of the boss.
View attachment 1715889660

Here's an original 1795... You can't see as clearly but the center hole is not far off the edge of the boss....

Original 1795.jpg

Interesting. Looking through that book, even the last production Bess locks don't have that boss at all. The lock plate must have provided enough thickenss for the threads.

Simple production process. Flat plate with holes...everything mounted to it. Rather ingenious

Simple production process. Flat plate with holes...everything mounted to it. Rather ingenious
Very true. I never thought about it that way. I think I get lost in amazement at the intricate workings and fine embellishments and engraving on them - at least those made up until the 1790s or so.

So, customer stopped in. Agreed on the new tail panel. Another win.ordered from Rock Auto and its already shipped. Prefitted 1/4 to trunk drop and wheel house. Its not bad. A little work to fit 1/4 panel though.
C8A22AAC-7047-4910-912B-DE3206976403.jpg

Last week i checked on a gas tank for this car.nope. This week, yup.so i jumped on it and ordered it. Grab it while its available.

Very true. I never thought about it that way. I think I get lost in amazement at the intricate workings and fine embellishments and engraving on them - at least those made up until the 1790s or so.

Check out Bedford Valley rifles. Short lifespan and very regional but distinct and in my opinion a great convergence of craftsmanship and function

Screenshot_20220316-193709_Chrome.jpg

Yeah not even close. Originals are so much lighter in weight although the military contract muskets were most likely hit or miss (pun intended) No interchangeable parts and each a bit unique.

My Harper's Ferry 1795 .69 (reproduction) is on loan to the Park ... but I have my 1803 Contract Rifle here that has the Corps of Discovery modifications to it.
I think the oldest I have is this old model 11 12 ga

-
Back