Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It ran great in stock form. This cam/head change increased idle speed and now it pulls down in park. That is the biggest issue. Then the dirty run quality/tuning. I think the converter is too tight. We have one on order.

My latest is 22* at idle and 34* @ 3200 rpm coming in fairly slow. Didn’t graph it out on paper though. (Not yet anyway)
Gotcha. I am at 18° at idle and 36° with just mechanical. I had vacuum advance coming in very quickly. Between the added air bleeds (now increased from 0.125 to 0.136) and the removal of the vacuum advance, it runs amazing! Any rpm to WOT has no stumble at all, cruise is clean and still got 11mpg on a 7hr road trip.

It ran great in stock form. This cam/head change increased idle speed and now it pulls down in park. That is the biggest issue. Then the dirty run quality/tuning. I think the converter is too tight. We have one on order.
I used to think coverter effected idle but I don't anymore.
It definately effects when the full load on the engine occurs. Kindof like not slipping the clutch as much. A loose converter is like letting the engine rev higher before fully engaging the transmission. Slippiing it is why high stall converters generate more heat during hard acceleration.

Anyway, my point is I don't think the converter is effecting the idle issue. You may find it effects the timing and fuel needs when driving. Low stall will be less forgiving. More of a need to maximize the engines power at part throttle and full throttle mid rpm with lower stall.

Last edited:

Seems like this agrees with your thinking. 14 is probably on the low side for an initial with that cam.
Definately worth trying more initial. 16* ?
Or if you have to set it at 1000 rpm, 18* or 20*. Then when in gear see if you can get another reading on it.

IMO and experience, unless you take a big swing in the wrong direction it’s tough to fine tune a BB in an A body with street tires. Because once that BB torque gets them things spinning they tend to keep spinning and the test is now useless. Fun, but useless. :steering:

It is a drop in GM style HEI distributor.
If you find the advance is begining at too low an rpm, need more initial spring force on the weights.
Must be a way to put a little more tension on the springs but I can't tell you how off the top of my head.
The obvious way is make the spring(s) a little shorter.

Just disco the Speedo. And use a GPS for speed.
I actually have a funny story about being stopped in Kansas with the GPS Speedo.
Then again As I've often been told I have a story for every occasion.
That comes with being old. My friend Mort (rip) had lots of great stories.

OK we'll stop burning gas and let everyone enjoy their coffee.
:)
When I first got the Demon running with the cam in it, I needed to hold the brakes with both feet at a stop sign. It needed more idle speed than the converter would allow. I changed the converter and it was night and day with no other changes. Once that was solved, tuning could happen. I will try bumping the timing up, that is quick and easy. Thanks as always Matt!

So epic closet fail this morning, and no I was not trying to come out of the closet, in fact I was going in? I walk in and uniforms are all in a pile on the floor, I am thinking WTF? Body armor was all on the ends by the wall so I know it was not overloaded as it was not even sagging. I dig thru the pile and find the closet rod busted at the seam, very cleanly. In fact upon closer inspection there is no glue in the joint. Factory closet rod QA fail!

IMG_3997.jpeg

So epic closet fail this morning, and no I was not trying to come out of the closet, in fact I was going in? I walk in and uniforms are all in a pile on the floor, I am thinking WTF? Body armor was all on the ends by the wall so I know it was not overloaded as it was not even sagging. I dig thru the pile and find the closet rod busted at the seam, very cleanly. In fact upon closer inspection there is no glue in the joint. Factory closet rod QA fail!

View attachment 1716107078

Quality craftsmanship there....

No No. Keep talking. I'm soaking it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The degree of knowledge and depth of understanding on this thread with zero emotional attachment is simply amazing. Whether Matt, or Hoppy or Toolman to just name a few. These guys can help you out if you actually listen and do not get emotionally attached to your solution.

The degree of knowledge and depth of understanding on this thread with zero emotional attachment is simply amazing. Whether Matt, or Hoppy or Toolman to just name a few. These guys can help you out if you actually listen and do not get emotionally attached to your solution.
So true , lots of knowlegeable people on this site , not afraid to help you out! On that note good morning all , that was a 2 cup back read .

1 year ago today, I trashed my newly installed tie rod ends because I had the center link on upside down. :rolleyes:
That reminds me, I was looking at the Demons front sway bar the other day wondering if I put it on correctly, sure seems a bit low? Thinking I might should have put it above the hanger brace not under? I will get a pix and post.

That reminds me, I was looking at the Demons front sway bar the other day wondering if I put it on correctly, sure seems a bit low? Thinking I might should have put it above the hanger brace not under? I will get a pix and post.
I have the front sway bar on mine. After you post a pic, i will need to check mine later

-
Back