Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
We are finally getting fiber in town. They have been driving conduit all over town.

My brother lives in Palmer, so we will be staying there. We will be fishing one day in Soldotna and like will end up in Homer for a day. Some hiking and sight seeing. I want to get to a glacier this time.
Is your brother a member on here

I am the last house on my block that comcast can hook up to. Every one else need poles or underground line.

Is your brother a member on here
No. He isn't much into cars. He had a Porsche for a while but doesn't make tons of sense. I was going to me up with AlaskaJeff member here but we had to shorten the trip so I missed the car show I wanted to attend.

Here in Maryland where I live everything is mostly electric. Including the heat. Do have LPG gas tanks as backup for the heat pumps when it really gets cold. Total electric bill on the property for the big house which the tenant pays and the garage apartment is 400 bucks a month. The garage apartment and garage only use about 125 of that. The tenant pays the rest. Think I paid $2.75 a gallon for the LPG gas. That's in my tank now. Usually one tank last all winter long. Tank is 120 gallons. Same thing at the big house. Has LPG gas back up for the heat pumps. All seems to be fairly efficient here. When I built these buildings on this property I built them with 2x6 outside walls and insulated them with R19 so I think that's made quite a difference over the years. Cable TV and Wi-Fi? That's a whole different ball game. Expensive as hell as you all know. Like 200 bucks a month here as well. But when I'm in Vietnam I turn it off. Lol

Long story but we had to replace the whole geothermal system. Everything above ground, just done in May and it cost 30K
So if I may be so rude to ask, how long did that system last you?

We’re working on getting our house built and our options include geothermal and even solar to help reoccurring costs but if it’s got a short lifespan, that’s not gonna be good

My brother lives in Palmer, so we will be staying there. We will be fishing one day in Soldotna and like will end up in Homer for a day. Some hiking and sight seeing. I want to get to a glacier this time.
Man I love Palmer, that is where the real start is for the race. Many a day and night there as a volunteer.

Man I love Palmer, that is where the real start is for the race. Many a day and night there as a volunteer.
That's awesome. I have never been up there for the race. Usually just go in the later summer/start of fall. I tried having a job up there before starting this job. I applied for 55 jobs during 3 months. Only talked to 1 live person. There were 5,000 applicants for 1 position. So, here I am

Chris there are drawbacks to solar. Panel life is the big one and most when you lose power your out because the power goes back ito the grid then they sell it back to you. unless you have a large battery bank and that is also degrades over time. I had that system in HI and it was not cheap the best thing I dd was add a small wind generator think it was 500 wats 24VDC that way it charged at night also.

Here in Maryland where I live everything is mostly electric. Including the heat. Do have LPG gas tanks as backup for the heat pumps when it really gets cold. Total electric bill on the property for the big house which the tenant pays and the garage apartment is 400 bucks a month. The garage apartment and garage only use about 125 of that. The tenant pays the rest. Think I paid $2.75 a gallon for the LPG gas. That's in my tank now. Usually one tank last all winter long. Tank is 120 gallons. Same thing at the big house. Has LPG gas back up for the heat pumps. All seems to be fairly efficient here. When I built these buildings on this property I built them with 2x6 outside walls and insulated them with R19 so I think that's made quite a difference over the years. Cable TV and Wi-Fi? That's a whole different ball game. Expensive as hell as you all know. Like 200 bucks a month here as well. But when I'm in Vietnam I turn it off. Lol
Not to make all y’all feel bad but our house is 100 percent elec. 100 degree days AC running constant bill is still under 200 bucks. And yes when I built it I went the extra mile on insulation!

Really? I am planning a life time trip before I get too old to do it.
PM me anytime. My offer was genuine. We are in a great area, lots to do. And we are rural enough you cannot hear any noise in the house. It is 1500 sqf with full bath and kitchen and two bedrooms. Of course you may occasionally hear gunfire. Google Northwest Arkansas. We are 40 mins south of Fayetteville home of THEE Razorbacks!

Chris there are drawbacks to solar. Panel life is the big one and most when you lose power your out because the power goes back ito the grid then they sell it back to you. unless you have a large battery bank and that is also degrades over time. I had that system in HI and it was not cheap the best thing I dd was add a small wind generator think it was 500 wats 24VDC that way it charged at night also.
For a spell in the mid 80s all new residential construction had to include a solar system for the water heater. Our solar coils lasted 8 yrs and the water did it's universal solvent thing and ate holes in the coils. Shortly after that The County dumped that requirement for the permits. Probably due to the high failure rate.

We’re working on getting our house built and our options include geothermal and even solar to help reoccurring costs but if it’s got a short lifespan, that’s not gonna be good
Not rude at all that is what we are here for. The original system was put in 2007

Also there were numerous issues that happened to cause failures. Our new system will outperform and outlive us.

No. He isn't much into cars. He had a Porsche for a while but doesn't make tons of sense. I was going to me up with AlaskaJeff member here but we had to shorten the trip so I missed the car show I wanted to attend.
OK was just asking.

-
Back