Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
We have an antenna on the roof. lol
I would like to try one of those small antennas for the TV here in the kitchen. I just about bought one Monday. I rarely watch much other than the local news and Mash reruns on MeTV.

Check this out.

Put in your zip code and it will tell you what channels are available through an antenna for your area. I see up to 31 for my area. Free TV Channels by Zip Code

They work well get around ten where it is facing now. Dam rotor crapped out so I need a omni directional.

Also there were numerous issues that happened to cause failures. Our new system will outperform and outlive us.
So let’s say you was building a house from scratch, right now the cost to install any standard hvac and heating system is 20-30k, geothermal quotes in getting are 25-35k. Does geothermal really save enough to warrant going that route or is it just trading 6 eggs for half a dozen eggs

Chris there are drawbacks to solar. Panel life is the big one and most when you lose power your out because the power goes back ito the grid then they sell it back to you. unless you have a large battery bank and that is also degrades over time. I had that system in HI and it was not cheap the best thing I dd was add a small wind generator think it was 500 wats 24VDC that way it charged at night also.
Don't forget hail storms. This happened in Nebraska. Now they're useless as tits on a boar hog. I wonder what the cost of the damage was? To give some perspective, that's a ROAD and a PARKING LOT over to the left.
HAIL STORM DAMAGE.jpg

I have electric and natural gas in my house. We used to have oil but switched the system to natural gas when the AC needed replaced. The original furnace was from 1947 and we were running on borrowed time with that. All of the appliances and heat run on natural gas. The lights and ac are electric (obviously) overall in summer when the ac runs our electric is $140 and the gas is $30. In winter it balances out. The gas is usually $120 and electric is about $60 a month.

I would like to try one of those small antennas for the TV here in the kitchen. I just about bought one Monday. I rarely watch much other than the local news and Mash reruns on MeTV.

Check this out.

Put in your zip code and it will tell you what channels are available through an antenna for your area. I see up to 31 for my area. Free TV Channels by Zip Code
Yup, that's about exactly what we get, with the exception of all of the "58" channels.....and of course those are our favorites. We cannot get them right now, because of trees that have grown up. Gotta save up and get some taken out......OR find a better antenna that can receive through trees. I'm not sure one exists.

Yup, that about exactly what we get, with the exception of all of the "58" channels.....and of course those are our favorites. We cannot get them right now, because of trees that have grown up. Gotta save up and get some taken out......OR find a better antenna that can receive through trees. I'm not sure one exists.
Need to move it above unfortunately.

Need to move it above unfortunately.
Yeah that's gonna require one hell of an antenna pole. It's probably 30 feet off the ground now. I have an amplified antenna on it now and have turned it every which way to no avail.

I have electric and natural gas in my house. We used to have oil but switched the system to natural gas when the AC needed replaced. The original furnace was from 1947 and we were running on borrowed time with that. All of the appliances and heat run on natural gas. The lights and ac are electric (obviously) overall in summer when the ac runs our electric is $140 and the gas is $30. In winter it balances out. The gas is usually $120 and electric is about $60 a month.
Yep, same kind of thing here only $100+ more a month. I write out the utility checks so my wife and daughter don't pay attention to utility usage. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

Chris there are drawbacks to solar. Panel life is the big one and most when you lose power your out because the power goes back ito the grid then they sell it back to you. unless you have a large battery bank and that is also degrades over time. I had that system in HI and it was not cheap the best thing I dd was add a small wind generator think it was 500 wats 24VDC that way it charged at night also.
Great information. Honestly, I don’t think we have enough full sun days to be fully solar anyway so I just have it as an option to look into but really, I’ll probably go grid with a battery back up/generator system for emergencies.

So let’s say you was building a house from scratch, right now the cost to install any standard hvac and heating system is 20-30k, geothermal quotes in getting are 25-35k. Does geothermal really save enough to warrant going that route or is it just trading 6 eggs for half a dozen eggs
I think you’re a real light on those estimates my $30,000 did not include well heads being drilled. I have eight well heads and it’s a closed loop system you have to check open loop, close loop. Closed loop is better but more expensive.

Don't forget hail storms. This happened in Nebraska. Now they're useless as tits on a boar hog. I wonder what the cost of the damage was? To give some perspective, that's a ROAD and a PARKING LOT over to the left.
View attachment 1716128426
Lotsa Solar Farms springin' up in SoCal. Really remote locations mostly. Costs for connecting to the grid must be very high. I keep wondering about what they do with the environmental impact studies, they are changing so much habitat for the indigenous critters. :wtf:

Yup, that's about exactly what we get, with the exception of all of the "58" channels.....and of course those are our favorites. We cannot get them right now, because of trees that have grown up. Gotta save up and get some taken out......OR find a better antenna that can receive through trees. I'm not sure one exists.
My MIL has one of those $20 flat antennas about as big as a piece of printer paper.. She is out on the farm 15 miles from town and get's a dozen of the local popular channels. I would be happy with that if it would save me $100 a month.

I think you’re a real light on those estimates my $30,000 did not include well heads being drilled. I have eight well heads and it’s a closed loop system you have to check open loop, close loop. Closed loop is better but more expensive.
Cool those were what we got from the last contractor. But since he’s dropped us, I’m gonna to get all new quotes

It looks like I will be using a lot of electricity Sunday through next week. 100° on Sunday and 90's next week. I am suprised that our 50 year old A/C can keep up. (I hope I didn't jinx it) If it poops out it will be a huge project to redo. Even the compressors aren't available any more.

I'm not a fan of the open loop systems. We have schools here that have done that. I don't know why the DNR let them do a pump and dump system. Closed ground loop is better I think. With a natural gas or electric back up.

Our cooling systems when I lived in the desert were pretty simple. 1 fan motor, 1 little water pump, 1/4" water line and valve, 3 or 4 evaporation pads made of some kind of shreaded wood. Worked great as long as the humidity didn't get high :lol:

Me too. I’m usually the one saying…turn off the lights! The sun is out!! :rofl:
My daughter empties the hot water heater with each shower. :BangHead: :BangHead: and then leaves the fan on to get rid of all the humidity in the room. No, I'm not going there.

Our cooling systems when I lived in the desert were pretty simple. 1 fan motor, 1 little water pump, 1/4" water line and valve, 3 or 4 evaporation pads made of some kind of shreaded wood. Worked great as long as the humidity didn't get high :lol:
The A/C in our old house was a chiller system back 100 years ago.In fact most of the old pluming for it is still downstairs! There are cisterns on the north side of the house. Pull cold water off the last one and pump it back to the first one. We get a lot of humidity so the newer "refrigerant" A/C system makes more sense. Upper 70's is comfortable when it's 50% humidity or less.

-
Back