Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Just got the call. The 'standby' window is closed. The other recipient has the liver and is recovering now from the surgery. Good for them, not so much for my BIL.
So sorry. Such a difficult situation. Praying right now very hard for you.

I did get some news regarding my situation but with respect to Dave and his family, I'll hold off till morning.

No worries here, go ahead and update everyone. Life MUST go on!
Alright. Just not sure I wanted to add more bad news but here it goes.

I finally grew a set of balls and said the hell with it, walked into my bosses office and asked politely for the full story. She told me everything, well almost.

Cuts are coming. Deep cuts. We find out tomorrow individually who stays and who is let go.

I finally grew a set of balls and said the hell with it, walked into my bosses office and asked politely for the full story. She told me everything, well almost.

Cuts are coming. Deep cuts. We find out tomorrow individually who stays and who is let go.
Sucks to still not know! I hope tomorrow goes well for you anyway. Sucks for them to do it right before Christmas..

Well, hang in there. I've been on both sides of that equation and whether you go or stay, it's never pretty. Leaving means an uncertain future, but a fresh start. Staying means living in the painful remnants of what's left hoping for a future past the near term. It also usually means twice the work load to help the company recover.

I have been through 7 layoffs in 28 years at 5 different Companies (two rounds at 2 of those). I survived the cuts 4 times, got rehired in 2 weeks in another and was out on the street in the last two. There is no way to make it comfortable, just have to keep on keepin' on...and make the best out of it that you can.

Well, hang in there. I've been on both sides of that equation and whether you go or stay, it's never pretty. Leaving means an uncertain future, but a fresh start. Staying means living in the painful remnants of what's left hoping for a future past the near term. It also usually means twice the work load to help the company recover.

I have been through 7 layoffs in 28 years at 5 different Companies (two rounds at 2 of those). I survived the cuts 4 times, got rehired in 2 weeks in another and was out on the street in the last two. There is no way to make it comfortable, just have to keep on keepin' on...and make the best out of it that you can.

Yeah good news is that I have friends who have companies hiring and They're willing to work to get me on, just both are gonna be big commuting jobs for what I'm making now already

Plus Hoppy gave me some pointers and tips I plan on pursuing regardless of this outcome

Yeah good news is that I have friends who have companies hiring and They're willing to work to get me on, just both are gonna be big commuting jobs for what I'm making now already

Plus Hoppy gave me some pointers and tips I plan on pursuing regardless of this outcome
well in which case, that's enough of this "bad news/headed to the woods" stuff... pull 'em up and get on with it! :thumbsup:

well in which case, that's enough of this "bad news/headed to the woods" stuff... pull 'em up and get on with it! :thumbsup:
Yeah the talk with Hoppy really helped last night. I usually don't get flustered like that but it caused me to panic really. Hoppy talked with me for about an hr and made me realize things will be ok either way. Combined with the lack of sleep, it was really overwhelming me. And not being able to tell the wife for worry about her freaking out left me to bottle it up. I really owe Hoppy a 6 pack or three

Honestly, probably the best sleep I've had in months. See, been having a feeling something bad was due for a while but I wasn't expecting it to be this. But while nothing is guaranteed job wise going forward, I've got a couple chances, more so than most . So I've realized that nothing I do now is gonna affect the decision they're gonna make so may as well let it roll

Yea he tries to portray a gruff little character but in reality he is a good guy. That's why I keep going back to visit.

Well, to give you some perspective that might help, I was laid off back on Dec 11, 2009 when I lived in Memphis. I had a 5 year old daughter, a wife who was a stay at home mom and a house that I had bought just over 2 years earlier. I also had only about 4 months income in reserve and no local job prospects for what I do.

I pulled myself up and found a job here in PA for the same money. I spent the next 11 months working here during the week, living in a spare room with my parents in NJ during the week, doing a 90 minute commute to work each way and then flying back and forth every weekend to Memphis just to spend a day and a half with my family (I did 92 flights back and forth). I then rented a small townhouse and moved them here just so we could all be together. I spent the next 5 years paying the mortgage on an empty house in Memphis that I couldn't sell without losing $40k and paying for the townhouse too (which I actually bought after 3 years).

Sounds awful right? Not entirely...there is a flip side.

After 5 years here in PA, I nearly doubled my salary through promotions and work success, rented the house in Memphis to a friend in June 2015, bought a nice big house in a good neighborhood and sold the townhouse. I also pushed my cash reserves from 5 months salary to over 18 months worth.

This past September, I got laid off again..but this time I'm living in a place where there are lots of opportunities for what I do and I had a new job within a few weeks at 10% more than I was making at the last one. I also pushed further and picked up consulting work worth 25% of my full-time salary to add to it.

Point is, you have to keep pushing and making it happen no matter how tough it seems at the time. In the end, YOU make it what becomes.

Well, to give you some perspective that might help, I was laid off back on Dec 11, 2009 when I lived in Memphis. I had a 5 year old daughter, a wife who was a stay at home mom and a house that I had bought just over 2 years earlier. I also had only about 4 months income in reserve and no local job prospects for what I do.

I pulled myself up and found a job here in PA for the same money. I spent the next 11 months working here during the week, living in a spare room with my parents in NJ during the week, doing a 90 minute commute to work each way and then flying back and forth every weekend to Memphis just to spend a day and a half with my family (I did 92 flights back and forth). I then rented a small townhouse and moved them here just so we could all be together. I spent the next 5 years paying the mortgage on an empty house in Memphis that I couldn't sell without losing $40k and paying for the townhouse too (which I actually bought after 3 years).

Sounds awful right? Not entirely...there is a flip side.

After 5 years here in PA, I nearly doubled my salary through promotions and work success, rented the house in Memphis to a friend in June 2015, bought a nice big house in a good neighborhood and sold the townhouse. I also pushed my cash reserves from 5 months salary to over 18 months worth.

This past September, I got laid off again..but this time I'm living in a place where there are lots of opportunities for what I do and I had a new job within a few weeks at 10% more than I was making at the last one. I also pushed further and picked up consulting work worth 25% of my full-time salary to add to it.

Point is, you have to keep pushing and making it happen no matter how tough it seems at the time. In the end, YOU make it what becomes.
Nice that's awesome. I was lid off once before but it was just me and the wife and her job more than covered everything but now with two kids, kind of freaked me out. Although the last time I did end up with a job making 6k a year more but it took over a year

Sorry for the woods comments. Honestly though, it's kind of my get away place for when I just need to think and get away from people. It's a really beautiful spot. The last time I went up there for a couple days after I got injured during training and was worried the military career was over

Sorry for the woods comments. Honestly though, it's kind of my get away place for when I just need to think and get away from people. It's a really beautiful spot. The last time I went up there for a couple days after I got injured during training and was worried the military career was over
dah - no need for sorry - we all gotta have a place

Last edited:
Nice that's awesome. I was lid off once before but it was just me and the wife and her job more than covered everything but now with two kids, kind of freaked me out. Although the last time I did end up with a job making 6k a year more but it took over a year
Oh I understand, believe me! I felt the weight of the World crushing me when I was let go back in Memphis and felt panicked. But I kept telling myself every time I felt that way "You have to just keep marching...no matter the pain...to get to a better place."

I get that, I used to go to a little trout stream up in northern PA near the NY border and fish for brook trout when I felt that way.

Now I take those same kind of breaks from the World by doing my Art work. This way I get a little slice of "me" time whenever I need it...and I don't even need to leave the house. :)

-
Back