Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
so I had to pop the welds off of that lower radiator support.. that's two that were essentially wrong... I thought US Tool was better than that..
so I had to pop the welds off of that lower radiator support.. that's two that were essentially wrong... I thought US Tool was better than that..
welds on the new part?

yea - where the piece rolls up on either side - I couldn't get it to form to the original so I cut the welds... well one side let go with a hell of a pop.. evidence that they had forced the bend and welded it...
Ah I see

I didn't have time yesterday for pics but it's basically mocked up - just need to mark where I am going to weld it and do a little more fitting

I also need to fit and weld something to allow me to use the original K frame to support bracket - they left that area open 67-75 A-Body Core Support Stiffener
see the U behind where the latch support goes...
I know yours was bent, but for the purpose of adding support?? They make a beefy looking bracket and then cut it down to half the metal at the center :wtf:

I know yours was bent, but for the purpose of adding support?? They make a beefy looking bracket and then cut it down to half the metal at the center :wtf:
I just decided to over engineer it. I could have purchased a correct replacement but I like the idea of it being better/stronger. Yea, I though the U cut in the center was odd when I first saw it... as in why?!? About the only thing I can even begin to figure is they left it up to the installer to decide what to do there...

it is a sturdy piece though - the reinforcing holes punched into the face of it and the thickness of it make it really strong

I just decided to over engineer it. I could have purchased a correct replacement but I like the idea of it being better/stronger. Yea, I though the U cut in the center was odd when I first saw it... as in why?!? About the only thing I can even begin to figure is they left it up to the installer to decide what to do there...
I don't have to worry bout that, I have a Gerst suspension

About the only thing I can even begin to figure is they left it up to the installer to decide what to do there...
Which is why they should have made it as strong as possible with all the metal there and installer could decide what to take away. Do the slots above the half circle need to be there?

Which is why they should have made it as strong as possible with all the metal there and installer could decide what to take away. Do the slots above the half circle need to be there?
yes - that is where the latch/upper grill support go

two holes at the bottom go where slots are in radiator support
MM1927.JPG

yes - that is where the latch/upper grill support go
I'll have to look at mine... I thought that just screwed into it. Not picturing why slots needed. Or is it designed as a cap, vs replacement. Then it makes sense.

I'll have to look at mine... I thought that just screwed into it. Not picturing why slots needed. Or is it designed as a cap, vs replacement. Then it makes sense.
I think the original set up is two round holes.. maybe the slots are for adjustments...

actually, the original was oval holes wasn't it?
Front Lower Core Support Brace. installs between the front frame rails, under the factory radiator. Can replace the factory thin sheet metal support or can be installed on top of the factory core support. Adds rigidity to the extreme front of the factory frame rails. 1967-1975 Mopar A-Bodies
All the gaps and slight oversize is there to allow for this...

Nice, we have plants starting to come up around here, not good if we get another cold spell, weird winter.

-
Back