Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I bet the rod would slip in the sleeve sooner or later..

Not if crimped properly... I used to work at an automotive cable company and we crimped fittings on strand and conduit all the time... If crimped properly you could get 150 - 250 lb pull off strength on some crimps...

Just stopped by. Wouldn't the rod spin inside of the crimp because of the torsional twist?

Just stopped by. Wouldn't the rod spin inside of the crimp because of the torsional twist?

No a good hexagonal crimp will hold pretty tight if he has enough wall thickness on the sleeve and a good crimp...

General rule of thumb is 75% - 85% of original diameter for crimp....

Use a good inertia or hydraulic crimp press...

might work if you were to crimp the sleeve onto the rod and then spot weld it in two spots on either end...
Or the roll pin trick. You might be able to grind flats on both sides of each rod for the crimp to bite to.

might work if you were to crimp the sleeve onto the rod and then spot weld it in two spots on either end...

Have you tried to pull an end fitting of a trans cable conduit??? It won't spin or pull if crimped properly... Try it...

Have you tried to pull an end fitting of a trans cable conduit??? It won't spin or pull if crimped properly... Try it...
oh - I get it - I'm just thinking that there is quite a bit of torsion on those rods and given enough time (YEARS) that it would eventually fail.. ???

You are all over-thinking this, use a good crimp...

30 - 50 ton press, thick wall on the sleeve, and crimp to 75% - 85% of sleeve od to across flats of hex...

I did the pull testing and design verification testing for developing the transmission cables for Saturn and the Chrysler JA Cirrus/Stratus...

We cycled the Saturn cables with 160 lb of force on them for over 100,000 cycles on our test fixture.... Including some of that testing at - 20° F for part of those cycles...

A good crimp will hold...

30 - 50 ton press, thick wall on the sleeve, and crimp to 75% - 85% of sleeve od to across flats of hex...

I did the pull testing and design verification testing for developing the transmission cables for Saturn and the Chrysler JA Cirrus/Stratus...
well - where the heck were ya while poor Tim was kicking this puppy around!! - - - oh yea, SLEEPING... :poke::poke::poke:

oh - I get it - I'm just thinking that there is quite a bit of torsion on those rods and given enough time (YEARS) that it would eventually fail.. ???

We cycled the Saturn cables with 160 lb of force on them for over 100,000 cycles on our test fixture.... Including some of that testing at - 20° F for part of those cycles...

A good crimp will hold...

A good crimp will not move... It will take many years for it to fail if done properly...

It should last longer than most of us will live... (Then it's someone else's problem after we die...)

just to throw some fodder on it - any chance the crimping itself will be too much for the rod? maybe crack/split it and cause premature failure?

-
Back