The slant or the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many many many hondas in the 10's all motor. The K20 block is good for 1,000 hp. It does not take too much money to make a honda run.You have to remember though it is really easy to get a street driven civic to weigh around 2,000 lbs. Especially the old crx hatches. That helps big time with ET.

You need to understand, I'm not debating your point. I agree. But to say that NO V8 street car is as fast as anything Honda is nuts. That's what I was disagreeing with.

In fact, one of the little guys in the shop I am helpin out in right now is building a Honda Civic with some kinda badass Mitsubishi motor. He is gonna mount it and the transaxle in the rear, mid engine. They are talkin about some kinda turbo 600-700 HP build. ...and he can do it too. He is only 27 but one of the best fabricators I have ever seen.

So, I am not arguing your point that imports can be fast. They can **** your day up. But to say nobody has a V8 street car as fas or faster is just not true. They're out there.

Well. I don't know if, in your limited expeience, you have come to realize this, but, unless there is something wrong with the setup, the car with the best power-to-weight ratio will always win the race, given an equal start. That winning car will also turn more MPH than the loser, too...

MPH is always the best indicator of HP/WT. in evidence.

Not my opinion... facts.

Bill, you will just never see my point. In drag racing, there is never "always" or "equal". As far as limited experience, we all have limits.

it all comes down to what each likes, both have their good points and both are some of the most bullet proof engines out there. When I built this 67 GT "decoy" to look like my 67 GTS I bought a 75 Valiant to get the disc and bbp it had a 225 in it so I put it in the GT for a few months. I couldn't get the mpg that I wanted and it was a dead giveaway when I cranked it up. I swapped it out to a warmed up 318 with 268 cam, 9.2 cr and Dougs headers. MPG is a little better with sb and I am lots happier with sound and performance. This is just my experience and my preference so don't go saying that I should have went with 360 or stayed with slant. We build our own cars to suit ourselves and don't really worry what others want to do with their own cars. Btw I would rather read posts like this that are talking about cars and differences in opinions than reading stuff that I think would be better suited for facebook, Joe

You need to understand, I'm not debating your point. I agree. But to say that NO V8 street car is as fast as anything Honda is nuts. That's what I was disagreeing with.

In fact, one of the little guys in the shop I am helpin out in right now is building a Honda Civic with some kinda badass Mitsubishi motor. He is gonna mount it and the transaxle in the rear, mid engine. They are talkin about some kinda turbo 600-700 HP build. ...and he can do it too. He is only 27 but one of the best fabricators I have ever seen.

So, I am not arguing your point that imports can be fast. They can **** your day up. But to say nobody has a V8 street car as fas or faster is just not true. They're out there.

SS-

That was not what I was saying at all! I was trying to make a point saying that there are hondas that are street driven that are faster than anything on this forum,not "nobody has a V8 street car as fast or faster". I have grown up at the drag strip,and have seen many street cars with V8's that were sub 9.5 second cars.

I'm not trying to start a stink here but I know of several cars on Moparts that are stupid fast- yes even on the street.

You can make a Honda run. In fact, you can make anything go fast if you have a deep enough pocket. I don't wanna think about what it costs to make a Honda turn 9 a second time slip.

Cubic inches or cubic dollars. How many imports are running these insane time slips with NO turbo, NO NOS or NO supercharger???

There were wicked street cars running high 9's and 10's 40 years ago but they don't get 30 mpg either. There is a VERY fast Subaru WRX here that will smoke alot of stuff but he has $60k in it. It's all about what YOU like and that's all that matters.

one of the local shop owners here has a 95 civic hatch that runs 10.1 all motor with a k swap. the head alone cost him almost 3k

Bill, you will just never see my point. In drag racing, there is never "always" or "equal". As far as limited experience, we all have limits.

Of course, you're right. But when you're talking about hypothetical situations (and, we were, I believe,) the only way to come to ANY mutually-agreeable decision is to go with the probabilities.

In this case, the probabilities lay with the car with the higher MPH, because THAT is the hp/weight indicator. Sure, if one (slower) car is well sorted-out, and has exemplary 60-ft. times, it would be possible for it to outrun a car with higher hp./wt., but that's not likely.

POSSIBLE, but not likely.

So, in a discussion of hypotheticals, you do your best to maximize the things you DO know... if you want a somewhat reliable answer to a hypothetical question.

Yes, it's always a guessing game, but if you go with the odds, you'll be right the majority of the time.

And in this case, the odds were on the car that went the fastest (trap speed.)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Yes, we all have our "limitations"; I just made an *** of myself over on the .org site, by claming that a 2.02-valve Z-28 Chevy head could be made to flow 300cfm on the intake. Well, I never should have said that, because 1. It apparently can't, and 2. I don't know enough about Chevy motors to be throwing around statements like that.

I apologized.

Clint Eastwood said it best in "The Enforcer" (a Dirty Harry movie.)

"A man's got to know his limitations." LOL!

We build our own cars to suit ourselves and don't really worry what others want to do with their own cars. Btw I would rather read posts like this that are talking about cars and differences in opinions than reading stuff that I think would be better suited for facebook, Joe

Well wrote.
Probably the best yet.

personally, reiterating the fact that i dont have any knowledge of what it takes to build a respectable slant six that can get out of its own way, i have always had a passion for V8s. any and all mopar V8s to be exact. and if any one were to ask me my opinion on the matter , i would always EXPLAIN (and have in this very thread) MY reasons for swapping out that /6 for a V8. it all boils down to personal choice and like i said , people can go on and on about the pros and cons of a /6 build or a V8 swap, but the bottom line is you have to take all the factors of what kind of duty is the car being used for into consideration, and how much MONEY you want to put into it.

The moderators here thought enough of them to delete them.
LOL, I doubt that. I call the BS flag! :bs:

Before you call somebody a liar on this forum, you'd be well-advised that with only four months, and 79 posts to your credit, you may not really have enough experience in the way this BB operates, to determine what really happened.

What happened was, there was a large amount of discussion on this thread that was mainly, just argumentative posturing among the posters.

For reasons unknown to me, there are "watchdog" moderators who monitor that sort of online behavior, and who feel it necessary, sometimes, to alert Joey, the Administrator of this board, who comes in, looks over the situation and "cleans up" the thread, deleting whatever posts he personally finds are contributing to the problem. On occasion, a post with real, useful, information will get deleted in the process, and that's what happened to me. I had done a set of mathematical calculations that showed the radical difference in the valve area of a slant six head with stock valves, one with oversize valves, and a comparison with a 302 Chevy (1968 Z-twenty-eight) head that fit on a Chevy engine that had a cylinder displacement that was identical with a 225 slant 6, just for the numbers comparison.

In his zeal to get rid of all the "offensive" material from the thread, my post got deleted. too. Whether it was intentional, or accidental, I don't know.

But, it's gone.

I couldn't and wouldn't make something like this up; I might find myself explaining my actions to Joey... and if it were a lie, that might be hard to do.

The moderators here thought enough of them to delete them.

Before you call somebody a liar on this forum, you'd be well-advised that with only four months, and 79 posts to your credit, you may not really have enough experience in the way this BB operates, to determine what really happened.
So, low post count and join time regulate me to a know nothing?
Now I know you are on the defensesive and are non to bright for a simple word applies here, "Assume"

For reasons unknown to me, there are "watchdog" moderators who monitor that sort of online behavior, and who feel it necessary, sometimes, to alert Joey, the Administrator of this board, who comes in, looks over the situation and "cleans up" the thread, deleting whatever posts he personally finds are contributing to the problem.
That word yet again appears to fit perfectly

On occasion, a post with real, useful, information will get deleted in the process, and that's what happened to me.
Are you sure, because the below quoted statement isn't what I was making the mention to.

I had done a set of mathematical calculations that showed the radical difference in the valve area of a slant six head with stock valves, one with oversize valves, and a comparison with a 302 Chevy (1968 Z-twenty-eight) head that fit on a Chevy engine that had a cylinder displacement that was identical with a 225 slant 6, just for the numbers comparison.
And the below I do not understand. Explain what? Nevermind
I might find myself explaining my actions to Joey... and if it were a lie, that might be hard to do.

So, low post count and join time regulate me to a know nothing?
Now I know you are on the defensesive and are non to bright for a simple word applies here, "Assume"

That word yet again appears to fit perfectly

Are you sure, because the below quoted statement isn't what I was making the mention to.

And the below I do not understand. Explain what? Nevermind

Dog man,

Before you call anyone "non to bright" and use the word "defensesive," you should look them up so you can spell them; it should read "non too bright: and "defensive." Bottom line; if you can't spell a word, don't use it; people might not know what you mean.

Every BB is run with different rules, and tha Administrator (and, to a lesser-extent, the moderators) have their own ideas and opinions of what constitute the ideal circumstances, regarding post decorum (look it up) and the limits of rhetoric, pertaining to such.

A cyber "gang fight" is not something that the folks who run these forums want to see, so they are not above stepping in with their software control mechanisims and deleting posts that they opine are inflammatory, or the type of comment that incites belligerent behavior... breaking up the "gang fight," is their intention.

Some of that happened on this thread, earlier, and one of my posts got deleted in the process. It was a post in which I had demonstrated what I felt were the mathematical reasons why the slant 6 head is not well-suited to normally-aspirated racing applications.

For whatever reason, you didn't believe that that post was deleted (or, ever written by me, apparently.) ("I call B.S." you said).

I pointed out that you were relatively new in this forum and you responded by accusing me of calling you a "know nothing," which I never said, and then you said , "Are you sure, because the below quoted statement isn't what I was making the mention to."

I never could figure out what it was you thought I was lying about.

What I did say, was that if I told a lie on this forum, I might find myself having to explain it in detail, to Joey... not something I would look forward to. That's all.

When your post count gets up over a thousand, and you've been around here long enough to see how this board operates, then, if you still think I am a liar, call me out on it and we'll talk about it.

Well bill i seen alot of posts get took off this thread mine being lot of them lmao thats just the way it gos .. but we all know why they got took off i think this thread need to be gone and we all forget it ever happened. move on no matter what was said in the end we all still like mopars thats what we are here bout lol

So far, I read, you didn't use a spell check and I get a "Dummy" for that. and the below;

When your post count gets up over a thousand, and you've been around here long enough to see how this board operates, then, if you still think I am a liar, call me out on it and we'll talk about it.

Which I'm reading as; Your rookie *** don't mean jack since your post count means ****.
My post count has little to do with how long I have been reading the forum before I joined.

Everything else was basicly babble and just a continue of B.S. in a thread you seem content to destroy.

Talk about it. I don't want to talk to you. IMO, your mental.:thebirdm:

So far, I read, you didn't use a spell check and I get a "Dummy" for that. and the below;

Which I'm reading as; Your rookie *** don't mean jack since your post count means ****.
My post count has little to do with how long I have been reading the forum before I joined.

Everything else was basicly babble and just a continue of B.S. in a thread you seem content to destroy.

Talk about it. I don't want to talk to you. IMO, your mental.:thebirdm:

Do you mean, "You're mental?"

In the first place, "your" is a possessive pronoun, not a contraction of "you are," (which MAY be what you meant, and "mental" is an adjective (modifier) which needs a noun to modify, as in "mental what?" "mental case"??? I've been called worse...

Your post is so full of errors (that a spell check can't fix,) I'd suggest that you spend your spare time in an adult education (assuming you ARE an "adult") remedial English class to educate yourself on the things you SHOULD have learned in the 8th grade, instead of writing gibberish on here. This is not an English class, but understanding the post is important.

We can live with the spelling and Grammical errors, just not the empty accusations of lying ("I call B.S.")

You keep putting words in my mouth ("Your rookie *** don't mean jack since your post count means ****.") I never said that.

You can quote me, "ver batim" (look it up,) but please don't accuse me of saying things I never said.

I have NO PROBLEM with your low post count; everybody's got to start somewhere. Just don't come on this forum and call people liars, when you have no proof, and no idea what's going on. That doesn't fly...

LOL @ Bill. You spend time and produce a post like that? Good GOD man. Although I do love the "Ver-batim" use. Nothing like getting a English lesson and insulted at the same time. This is a great way to end the , er make that continue trashing the thread. I'm sure your a proud member here helping the fourm out with such long winded posts that have noting to do with the thread topic at hand. Good job on keeping "It" up.

I threw out the B.S. card from what I read. It is now deleated. The card fly's except in your eye's. It's also not words being put in your mouth, but, how i see what your saying without saying it.

You keep putting words in my mouth ("Your rookie *** don't mean jack since your post count means ****.") I never said that
That is true and I never said you said that. You saying that is a defense, which would have others assume that I did. The defensive words are now offensive. You seem to like a fight.

Offensive insult? It could certainly be taken that way.

Before you call anyone "non to bright" and use the word "defensesive," you should look them up so you can spell them; it should read "non too bright: and "defensive." Bottom line; if you can't spell a word, don't use it; people might not know what you mean.

Is this the rule here? Are you trying to be a teacher? Or a GOD MOD?

Every BB is run with different rules, and tha Administrator (and, to a lesser-extent, the moderators) have their own ideas and opinions of what constitute the ideal circumstances, regarding post decorum (look it up) and the limits of rhetoric, pertaining to such.
LOL, your own "decorum " should be addressed.

A cyber "gang fight" is not something that the folks who run these forums want to see, so they are not above stepping in with their software control mechanisims and deleting posts that they opine are inflammatory, or the type of comment that incites belligerent behavior... breaking up the "gang fight," is their intention.
That is what I seen and read.

Some of that happened on this thread, earlier, and one of my posts got deleted in the process. It was a post in which I had demonstrated what I felt were the mathematical reasons why the slant 6 head is not well-suited to normally-aspirated racing applications.
That is not what I remember reading or what the complaint was against you.

For whatever reason, you didn't believe that that post was deleted (or, ever written by me, apparently.) ("I call B.S." you said).

I pointed out that you were relatively new in this forum and you responded by accusing me of calling you a "know nothing," which I never said, and then you said , "Are you sure, because the below quoted statement isn't what I was making the mention to."
Pointing out what appears to be the obvious and the wording used with it lead to the comment. The low post count is an issue with you. Otherwise, you would not have made a mention to it.
I never could figure out what it was you thought I was lying about.

What I did say, was that if I told a lie on this forum, I might find myself having to explain it in detail, to Joey... not something I would look forward to. That's all.
Why would you need to explain it to Joey?

See, there you go again. Since my post count is below 1,000, what your saying to me is your not up to your standard to deal with/talk to/Acknowledgment.
I find it interesting that you also ignore what I said earlier. I have been reading this forum for awhile and only joined as of late. Again, you assume to much.

I have a 1972 Duster with a 225 and a factory 3 speed on the floor. Car runs great! BUT I have 318 with 6k on it.
I am toying with a slant 6 but it seems expensive compared to a V8 swap! The Duster runs perfect and is fun to drive just kinda gutless and the 3 speed seems to have all the wrong ratios.

If you actually get this far in reading this otherwise destroyed thread, the early part of this thread had some great info and leaves you with a choice. Decide on which engine you want to do and have at it.

Also, the "Gutless" /6 trans is not to blame. Try a new gear ratio in the rear.

Ok if i remember right making fun of some cuz they cant spell of there smarts gets u banned so just think bout it im outta this thread i think its time to shut this one down

there is bound to an "english language made simple " course that maybe we can ALL take so as not to offend those who spend more time correcting peoples punctuation and grammer than they do explaining how a /6 can be built as a respectable street engine. just sayin'

LOL!

Bill Dedman, the English major/Nazi & build a turbo /6 or I'll destroy your thread with ramblings. Look it up. (1. Often or habitually roaming; wandering.)

Just sayin..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back