Trick Flow small block heads

-
I heard something from somebody about TrickFlow but somebody told me not to say anything. Everyone is going to be VERY excited when the news gets out.
So you're the guy that knows something that is top secret ?
I do have security clearance . lol

LOL. You’ve got to be shutting yourself if you think that antiquated “1977” “technology” can compare to what TF released are even in the same galaxy. Not even close.

That junk you are talking about was designed in the early 1960’s.

I’ve had my hands on the TF’s and they are the real deal. Are they going to make W2 power. Nope. But for OE architecture, nothing else even comes close. Not by a mile.

I’m pissed TF didn’t spend the money to copy the W5 head and fix its flaws. That’s what they should have done. With everyone wanting 4 inch or longer arms the available cylinder heads come up short. The minimum head for that stuff should be the W2. OE architecture and big inches don’t play well together. Not nearly enough cross section.

So the fact is, the TF is far and away a better head that any other head like it. Just because it’s numbers are down doesn’t mean the head is junk. Most stuff I see is an underachiever so you can’t go by that. Those heads are easily capable of 600 HP when done correctly. 9.5:1 won’t get it done, no matter how bad you want it, or what head you use. You can’t have a cam with .530 lift ( I run .620 lift on OE iron heads) or a 110 (or wider LSA) or 1.625 headers and expect the TF to make any more power than an iron OE head.

Arguing the TF isn’t the best OE configured head out there is like arguing what is better...chocolate ice cream or Marlboro cigarettes. You can’t even compare the two.

you just answered my question. will the Trick Flow make W2 power.....NOPE.
has anyone made 600 HP with TF? NOPE. one member here has had them on the dyno and made what 5 hp more then EQ heads?
don't give me the bullcrap about cam was this or that, compression was not perfect, intake was not ideal, all excuses in my book for a head that was supposed to change the world without any PROOF. everyone jumped on the TF bandwagon, and i really do hope that they do well as that is another huge plus for us small block guys.

a few years ago, a huge name in the small block world released a head that did not meet the hype that was claimed. everyone was on that bandwagon as well until the dyno sheet spit out the #'s. i wanted a set of those heads too, as i was in the process of building my 360''. after seeing the results of the ''best head for SBM'', i went back to the old faithful 1977 iron heads.

I have hundreds of Time Slips from PIR it's the others that actually have to backup all the neck running they do out here in the Forum that don't show up...:D..

I have hundreds from PIR, Woodburn and some from Seattle and there’s a track over by Bend that I can’t think of the name of that Jim Livingston owned before he bought Woodburn back in the day.

Doesn’t mean much other than going to the track is like going to the dentist for 6 root canals every week. BTDT. Has to be a damn good reason for me to go to the track.

LOL...I have hand written time slips from Woodburn and PIR from before and after I went in the army. Forgot about those.

has anyone made 600 HP with TF? NOPE. one member here has had them on the dyno and made what 5 hp more then EQ heads?
don't give me the bullcrap about cam was this or that, compression was not perfect, intake was not ideal, all excuses in my book for a head that was supposed to change the world without any PROOF. everyone jumped on the TF bandwagon, and i really do hope that they do well as that is another huge plus for us small block guys.

a few years ago, a huge name in the small block world released a head that did not meet the hype that was claimed. everyone was on that bandwagon as well until the dyno sheet spit out the #'s. i wanted a set of those heads too, as i was in the process of building my 360''. after seeing the results of the ''best head for SBM'', i went back to the old faithful 1977 iron heads.

Just because a few guys can’t make big power with a TrickFlow Head don’t be fooled by their results. Some guys can’t even get big blocks (PIG BLOCKS) to run anywhere near the numbers they should. It’s all about the combo. End of story.

Just because a few guys can’t make big power with a TrickFlow Head don’t be fooled by their results. Some guys can’t even get big blocks (PIG BLOCKS) to run anywhere near the numbers they should. It’s all about the combo. End of story.
Very common to see at the strip..... Saw a Duster with more gear, lighter car, with a stroker 440 going 11.20's. Parked right next to him was a Dart with a cast head 440, much of it was factory, with 3.91s going 10.5's. Combo is very important and the tuner is very important. IF you have enough green backs to throw at a car, eventually you can run the time you desire. Some would rather throw cash than think through the process. All how the owner wants to approach it. (obviously I'm not talking about TF heads here).

i do honestly get what your saying and i'm not saying they are junk heads. all i'm saying is the blinded few are pushing the TF head and only the TF head to anybody that will listen.

i like to use proven heads, guess that's why i'm still using old junk.

WTF?? Not to offend you, but evidently you know nothing about cylinder heads or making horsepower.

I you can say your junk iron **** will make as much or more power than a TF and walk a straight line, I’ll eat YOUR hat. You can’t possibly be that silly. I mean, really?

Because some bubble gummer went out and built an engine that wouldn’t be a build I’d do for a production head and you think the heads don’t work? I’ve seen W2 engines not make power. Many times. Is that the heads fault?

I know of a Ritter block Victor head deal not make crap for power. Are the block and heads junk? And I personally know that engine builder, and he is a hell of a machinist and a top notch engine builder. He didn’t wake up stupid and build junk. Some where he made a mistake. Possibly not flowing the heads, improving them and using a better valve job would be where I’d look first. Second I’d look at the cam timing. Probably wouldn’t be something I’d use. Still doesn’t make the heads or block junk.

Get my point? You have never even SEEN these heads yet you claim your iron junk is just as good. That’s retarded.

Like I said, lead69 built a TF engine very, very close to what I’d do. With the exception of a skosh more cam and 1.6 rockers, it’s exactly how I’d do it. If I have to pay for his dyno time, I may just do it.

Rediculous conversation really. To claim an iron OE head is something special is silly. And if you are trying to palm off the W2 as your “1977” iron is two totally different discussions. One is based on passenger car architecture and the other uses an offset rocker, which is a big deal. That’s setting up a straw man argument, because TF has NEVER claimed that head was to compete with the W2 stuff, because they KNOW, just like I KNOW, 98% of Chrysler guys will never buy a head with offset rockers. Ever. An already small market is now reduced to nothing.

If you want to have an adult conversation about heads, we can do that. But you have to have ground rules first.

i do honestly get what your saying and i'm not saying they are junk heads. all i'm saying is the blinded few are pushing the TF head and only the TF head to anybody that will listen.

i like to use proven heads, guess that's why i'm still using old junk.

So what would you suggest anyone to buy, with STOCK architecture? Not using offset rockers.

Can you say, with a straight face you’d buy an edeljunk head over the TF head? Or a chink head? Because that’s what the discussion really is about. Not about someone who will use an off set rocker and all that goes with it.

show me the proof yellow rose. you can say all you want, still doesn't answer my question....PROOF

i do get asked at the track about heads to use and what cams to use. i have to say what has worked for many years, W2

EDIT..... worked for me

i won't buy either. W2 is what i will continue to use

I’ll say this and then I’m done with you, because God Himself could tell you something and you’d argue with Him.

You are the ONLY guy I know trying to claim the TF head was cast to compete with the W2. The ONLY one I know of. It’s chickenshit to not come out from the jump and say what you are comparing the TF head to. But you didn’t. You claim your “1977” iron, and I was dumb enough to give you the benefit of the doubt of not being chickenshit. But I was wrong.

And you didn’t answer the question of what head YOU would use that doesn’t take an offset rocker. Why not?

Don’t be silly.

so you would buy a TF head to go get your depends from the super value store just to say you have TF's? if they are supposed to make huge *** power, then yes there are going to be compared to a head that has PROOF they make power and still run hard.

why on earth would i want to use a head that isn't proven? or even suggest it to other racers?

it says airwoof in the descriptio. MisterBee is the guys name.

actually i have made over 600 HP with W2's.

For those interested, I got my Airwolf/ Bloomer combo going after a few years of gathering parts!

The engine was built by Marcus Giobbi at Bullet Race Engineering in Adelaide, South Australia. They do a lot of high-end billet stuff so in comparison to all that, my engine is a bit agricultural.

After all this time and effort, I've got to say I'm pretty happy with it, and the engine builder was really impressed with the quality of the heads and the crank.

The only real issue we had was with valvetrain geometry, and associated spring to rocker clearance, but that was fixed pretty easily.

Anyway, long story short - combo is as follows;

360 +.040
Bloomer 4.25 crank with 11.7 comp
98 Octane fuel
Air Wolf heads
Solid Roller Cam - 257 duration @ .050 .645 lift
1050 Quick Fuel 4150 Carb

Dyno'd at 625hp @ 6100 with peak 597ft/lbs of torque at 5100.

Torque was 580 from 4200

Really happy with the results and the whole process so far.

this is from moparts, i read airwolf heads

For those interested, I got my Airwolf/ Bloomer combo going after a few years of gathering parts!

The engine was built by Marcus Giobbi at Bullet Race Engineering in Adelaide, South Australia. They do a lot of high-end billet stuff so in comparison to all that, my engine is a bit agricultural.

After all this time and effort, I've got to say I'm pretty happy with it, and the engine builder was really impressed with the quality of the heads and the crank.

The only real issue we had was with valvetrain geometry, and associated spring to rocker clearance, but that was fixed pretty easily.

Anyway, long story short - combo is as follows;

360 +.040
Bloomer 4.25 crank with 11.7 comp
98 Octane fuel
Air Wolf heads
Solid Roller Cam - 257 duration @ .050 .645 lift
1050 Quick Fuel 4150 Carb

Dyno'd at 625hp @ 6100 with peak 597ft/lbs of torque at 5100.

Torque was 580 from 4200

Really happy with the results and the whole process so far.

this is from moparts, i read airwolf heads

you are right. My bad. And i just read that yesterday. Think i have cabin fever of the brain... lol

so you would buy a TF head to go get your depends from the super value store just to say you have TF's? if they are supposed to make huge *** power, then yes there are going to be compared to a head that has PROOF they make power and still run hard.

why on earth would i want to use a head that isn't proven? or even suggest it to other racers?

Again, I’ll ask you and see if you actually answer a simple question.

If you were buying heads today, what heads would you buy?

You can get:

Edeljunk
Chink heads
TF

What would YOU pick?

i have used eddie is the past (2009) no problems with them at that time.

i would LIKE to buy the TF if they are as good as everyone claims. once a few people have results, and they are the real deal, i will definitely consider them.
as for this time and the near future, i will continue to use W2's for my builds and recommend them to other racers.

i have used eddie is the past (2009) no problems with them at that time.

i would LIKE to buy the TF if they are as good as everyone claims. once a few people have results, and they are the real deal, i will definitely consider them.
as for this time and the near future, i will continue to use W2's for my builds and recommend them to other racers.

If i was thinking about wanting to make halfway serious power,(600-700) i would use some form of an Indy head. Just the weight savings alone over a W2 is a big plus. Not to mention the Indy has more potential.

-
Back