Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Well I finally got all the trim linned out and was ready to take the car over to my buddies shop to install the front and rear glass boots however it snowed again so taking it will have to wait. Next weekend will be spentr on getting the passenger side header on, bolting up both sides, setting up the clutch linkage and installing the steering column. It's been slow but it's still moving forward. Oh, and thanks to Moparlee I have a TL assembly. He's a standup guy!!!

i know the feeling about time,,, iwork a rotating 12 hour nite shift,and if it is cold when im off and awake i cant get motivated to go in the small cold garage,,,,warmer days are comming,

Yea, I have the car in a rather large shop but no lift. I have bad knees so getting up and down and under the car leaves me hurting for a week after I work on the car. My buddies other shop has a lift and all the tools for re-installing the glass so i have to wait until the snow somewhat goes away before trailering the car.

contomplating a differnt house with a bigger garage or adding on to mine wit h enough ceiling height for a lift,,home lifts are cheap,,,

Sweet ride !!! My car is the exact same color NEEDS PAINT THOUGH with a black stripe and green tinted glass. have you heard of the the green tint being very common in that old of car????? I would love to be the one to be able to pull the very 1st holeshot,but will have to settle with beating my own with a 340 4 speed and 391's. Have fun!!!

Sweet ride !!! My car is the exact same color NEEDS PAINT THOUGH with a black stripe and green tinted glass. have you heard of the the green tint being very common in that old of car????? I would love to be the one to be able to pull the very 1st holeshot,but will have to settle with beating my own with a 340 4 speed and 391's. Have fun!!!

Thanks. I'm having to re-think some things on my setup. I'll need to armor up my brake lines near the bell housing. I already re-routed the line that ran along the fire wall to the front of the K member. I'm still out on the scatter shield. I don't think tech will prevent me from running. NHRA rules are getting tighter and tighter. I may have to go to a fenderwell 1 7/8 header and ditch the TTI's. We'll see how the motor runs.

contomplating a differnt house with a bigger garage or adding on to mine wit h enough ceiling height for a lift,,home lifts are cheap,,,
I'm waiting for the house (shack) next door to mine to either burn down or go up for sale. The lot would be perfect for a small shop.

Cool, I'm glad it's coming along. I need to get back on mine. I get burned out sometimes. I bet I haven't worked on mine in two months.

Cool, I'm glad it's coming along. I need to get back on mine. I get burned out sometimes. I bet I haven't worked on mine in two months.

Same here, a little bit at a time. I've been doing things to my Charger to make it more marketable

Just me again...I had to go and do some stuff and finally got back to see the rest of the story HA HA HA.Just my 2 cents though..when I had my dart at 1 st I was blowing out driver side motor mounts left and right . I ended up using a motor mount from a 360[steel part only since I have a 340]from out of a full size pickup, no more broken rubbers,just a solid mount. When I took delivery of my Dart GT someone allready put in the fenderwell headers from direct connection in the 70's makes for extremely easy starter install but the hacking went into the shock towers could've been a cleaner install but I enjoy them!!! Please pass along the driver side motor mount stuff it really does work great. I'm very envious of the final product you have one sweet car !:cheers:

Thanks. I'm having to re-think some things on my setup. I'll need to armor up my brake lines near the bell housing. I already re-routed the line that ran along the fire wall to the front of the K member. I'm still out on the scatter shield. I don't think tech will prevent me from running. NHRA rules are getting tighter and tighter. I may have to go to a fenderwell 1 7/8 header and ditch the TTI's. We'll see how the motor runs.

Sweet car! Wish I could get my a$$ in gear & get my project going! If you decide to ditch the TTI's put me down as somebody who might be interested in them.

Thanks for all the complements. Well the car goes to my buddies resto shop this afternoon. We will be installing new glass rubber front and back. Also finishing up on all the work under the car, install passenger side header, install T bars, finish fuel line, install trunk seal, run battery cable, install battery in the trunk. I've decided to have the rear bumper chromed. Too much white so i need to breat it up. I need to drill the holes for the shutoff switch and charging posts before sending it in. I also need to machine the bolt for the oil filter adapter IAW the TTI instructions. Next weekend we will be out at my buddies shop dialing in the two Carter 500's on his S/6 car. Those carbs have had a lot of work done on them per stock eliminator specs (secret stuff) so it will be interesting how they will work. Getting a lot of help It's great to have such friends.

Thrashed on the Dart today. Started on the front and rear glass but we stopped becase of the rear window boot gasket and trying to figure that think out. Monday I'll do some touchup painting on the dash and mount the tach bracket while the glass is out. Went under the car and installed the passenger header. No that the headers are on and the car is in the ait I can finally see what I'll have to do about the brake lines. Finally decided to run them inside the fender well, they are just too close to the header, I have them with armor coiling so it should be okay. Too a look at what I'll have to do on the clutch. It is a tight fit!!!!! Looks like the torque arm will be okay, just have to line everything up. These headers are nice but I'm not sure if they are worth all the effort. If I knew then what I know now I would of gone with fenderwells. I'll post again on Monday after I get it all linned up. Maybe I can post some pics.

you would be dissapointed in full fender well headers,,, only eaiser option would be the hooker 5208, it wil be worth it when your finished

Well got some things done on the Dart this past weekend. Once I got the car up in the air i decided to re-do the front brake lines for a cleaner look and get them away from the headers. As I thought, the headers are going to be a PITA!!. Not much room to work around them. Took me several hours to figure out how to mount the pivot on the bell housing. The pivot mount I got from Brewers has several holes for different applications (9.5 bell and 10.5 bell). It's all lined up now so all I need is the service kit which I ordered from Brewers yseterday. Gotta say their customer service is great and very helpfull in that I had a lot of questions about fitting their products in with the TTIs. I was also able to mock up the shifter as it relates to the hole I cut, just had to trim a little but it will work. I may have to do a little trimming on the crossmember to accomidate the Super Shifter arms which are staright vs the stock arms which have the factory fitted arms. Again, I'll try and get some better progress pictures.

The 5208's are a partial fenderwell. I have them on my 64 dart. They wrap under the frame. They are considered "chassis exit".... I installed them with the engine out.* Things are tight but you don't have to drop the steering and torsion bars like the TTI's. Been on the car since 2000 with no problems...

BTW nice car..

Bob

The 5208's are a partial fenderwell. I have them on my 64 dart. They wrap under the frame. They are considered "chassis exit".... I installed them with the engine out.* Things are tight but you don't have to drop the steering and torsion bars like the TTI's. Been on the car since 2000 with no problems...

BTW nice car..

Bob

Thanks

i have super shifter linkage on my 66 i dont remember having to trim the cross member

-
Back